Final Fantasy XV

Well ideally there wouldn't be sequels.

Hence why I'd hope that if there WERE, they'd be handheld. Or smaller teams at least. I mean, yeah, Nomura's working on both this AND KH3, but it's two studios. XV is the team that made KH1 and 2, and KH3 is the Osaka team, more officially known as Production Development Department 5 of Square Enix, or PDD5. They're the ones who made BBS and 3D.

So yeah, even though two games are being made right now (likely more), there's more than enough attention going to each of them. Separate departments, ya know.

As awesome as XV looks, I don't want them to make a bunch of sequels. I want them to continue the tradition of all FF games being different from each other. And I really want them to make one game at a time to be honest. Then we know that there is a correct amount of effort going into it.

I agree. They need to quit making so many sequels at least until they figure out how to not take 9 years to release a new main Final Fantasy. :-/

7. Versus was announced 7 years ago. And until recently (I'm guessing not even a year) it wasn't a main Final Fantasy. 13 came out in 2010 (4 years after it was announced) and 14 original released that same year. XII was 2006, the same year 13 and V13 (now 15) were announced.

So really I have no idea where you pulled that "9 years" from. It was 4 between 12 and 13, none between 13 and 14, and it's looking like 4-5 between 14 and 15.

By comparison, 11 was 4 years before 12, and 10 was 1 year before that.

So really, for the last 4 installments, 4 years between them is the norm.

The amount of time it takes them to put together the engine and conceptualize a full world is obvious in the amount of time ff13versus was in development. I would imagine this game is linear and not the same wide breadth of plot development like rpg's of yesteryears. For the level of graphics square-enix goes for these goes days, they simply can't make new completely fresh ff worlds like they did in the past. This is exactly why they will make sequels because it's more profitable, will continue to use what they've built upon, and will expand a story that they can't tell in the span of one released game.

It makes sense to me and I'm actually for it if they plan it out and execute it with grace. They should admit to their plans for taking the series in a new direction because of technology and development instead of allowing people to still compare them to other entries in the franchise. The only other games of recent memory to have such expansive worlds are Star Ocean and Xenoblade and those are definetely action based rpg's that trade off with less cinematic graphic quality.

If you look at XIV, they are certainly trying to cater these needs of gamers for an expansive non-linear game with lots of diversity with this installment. This is mostly thought out speculation on my part from what I've seen and heard. I just think ffxv will follow more along the lines of ffxiii then most will care for with a linear, limited world. But I do think it will be a better experience pulling from what they've learned and commitment to make right on their past faults.

Well, Brandon's right that the development times are certainly longer than they were before. The NES, SNES and PS1 Final Fantasy games all had much shorter development cycles... but I think that is just because modern AAA development is really time-consuming across the board, especially when you're rolling your own engine.

Well, Brandon's right that the development times are certainly longer than they were before. The NES, SNES and PS1 Final Fantasy games all had much shorter development cycles... but I think that is just because modern AAA development is really time-consuming across the board, especially when you're rolling your own engine.

FF7 came out in 1997 and FF8 came out in 1999 eh? FF9 in 2000 and FFX in 2001.. I think. So things have definitely changed.

I think what we'll hear when XV finally comes out is the same story we heard about FF13. I remember hearing about how much of a mess it was, and they had cut enough content from FF13 to make another game (stuff that probably appeared in FFXIII-II) They only finally started to realize what they had when they produced that first playable demo. The development for XV was probably also a huge mess, either on the same level as or worse than XIII. You'd think they would learn after XIII and not fall into that mistake again, but then again XIV happened.

...AAA development is really time-consuming across the board...

This is one thing I can't wait to see go away. The "AAA" game. Millions spent to have the player hold Forward and have a book dictated to them. Doesn't seem like a game at all, more like a movie where you are required to just hold the play button to get through it.

I loved Mass Effect tho. :)

I hope that FFXV gives up on everything they tried to do between 10 and 13 and bring back the world map! ToV did it and it was awesome! Getting Tri-Ace to design the battle system would be pretty awesome too considering how over hyped 13's was and how much more fun combat in Star Ocean and Resonance of Fate was.

FF7 came out in 1997 and FF8 came out in 1999 eh? FF9 in 2000 and FFX in 2001.. I think. So things have definitely changed.

...Yeah what happened to their dev team??? Did they all begin to start sniffing paint thinner?? Or is it the mercury content in all those tuna sushi rolls? 8O ....or maybe all the good dev members realized that Square was tanking and decided to jump ship?

...Yeah what happened to their dev team??? Did they all begin to start sniffing paint thinner?? Or is it the mercury content in all those tuna sushi rolls? 8O ....or maybe all the good dev members realized that Square was tanking and decided to jump ship?

or making gazillion polygon characters and an original graphics engine is *only slightly* more technically difficult than making an approximately 300 pixel sprite consisting of 10 colors?

like seriously lurk more why say something so stupid

Getting Tri-Ace to design the battle system would be pretty awesome too considering how over hyped 13's was and how much more fun combat in Star Ocean and Resonance of Fate was.

Considering we've already seen the battle system, and since we've known for years (literally) that it was gonna be akin to KH's... yeah don't think that's happening.

Hell there's a trailer out that's dedicated purely to gameplay.