Final Fantasy XV

I hope that FFXV gives up on everything they tried to do between 10 and 13

This would make me unbearably happy if it were to happen. There's a lot of things in X they could stand to forget, too.

Having said that, I doubt it'll actually happen, so meh.

Also, whatever happened to Agni's Philosophy? Wasn't that supposed to be a toe in the water to see how gamers took to it as a concept for XV, and wasn't it pretty widely liked? Just occured to me, going over my Youtube watch history and seeing it in there today looking for something else, that I've heard squat about that little gem since it actually happened, which makes me sad because it actually seemed like a breath of fresh creative air into the franchise.

Edited by Melbu Frahma

or making gazillion polygon characters and an original graphics engine is *only slightly* more technically difficult than making an approximately 300 pixel sprite consisting of 10 colors?

like seriously lurk more why say something so stupid

Why don't you lurk more? You literally only troll and it's getting old.

...Yeah what happened to their dev team??? Did they all begin to start sniffing paint thinner?? Or is it the mercury content in all those tuna sushi rolls? 8O ....or maybe all the good dev members realized that Square was tanking and decided to jump ship?

The brief version of the story is that the Final Fantasy: Spirits Within movie happened, Squaresoft went bankrupt and had to merge with Enix. Nobuo Uematsu and Hirnobu Sakaguchi (former President) left Square-Enix and formed Mistwalker. For what it's worth I loved Spirits Within, and it made 85 million box office, but the budget got too bloated for that to be profitable.

Saying FF7, 8, 9, or 10 was 300 pixel sprites with 10 colors is just ignorant. The team was considerably smaller that made those games, and has since become quite large for modern Square-Enix games. They were much more efficient in the late 90s / early 00s and in general the games were higher quality, even if they didn't look as graphically impressive as Lightning Returns.

My only guess as to why they're so inefficient now is bad direction, bad project management, and disorganization.

Also, whatever happened to Agni's Philosophy? Wasn't that supposed to be a toe in the water to see how gamers took to it as a concept for XV, and wasn't it pretty widely liked? Just occured to me, going over my Youtube watch history and seeing it in there today looking for something else, that I've heard squat about that little gem since it actually happened, which makes me sad because it actually seemed like a breath of fresh creative air into the franchise.

"An official website was opened for the tech demo where the demo can be viewed. The site was created with a survey asking fans' opinions on the movie, Agni's character and the world the movie takes place in. Although this implies "Agni" and this scenario may be used in future video game scenarios, there is no evidence suggesting that a game based on this material is in production."

All anyone would be able to offer you as an answer would be speculation.

Who knows how the survey went.

Edited by Brandon Strader

The brief version of the story is that the Final Fantasy: Spirits Within movie happened, Squaresoft went bankrupt and had to merge with Enix. Nobuo Uematsu and Hirnobu Sakaguchi (former President) left Square-Enix and formed Mistwalker. For what it's worth I loved Spirits Within, and it made 85 million box office, but the budget got too bloated for that to be profitable.

No wonder. It's a shame what happened with Spirits Within and the presidents leaving. I would've preferred Squaresoft just going under under without a merger >.<

I, too, am VERY excited about world maps and airships.

This is one thing I can't wait to see go away. The "AAA" game. Millions spent to have the player hold Forward and have a book dictated to them. Doesn't seem like a game at all, more like a movie where you are required to just hold the play button to get through it.

Well, maybe that's how it felt regarding the exploration but the battling in FFXIII is a LOT more strategic than any other mother ship Final Fantasy (I'm not sure if mother ship is the right word).

HA! Look who's talking. 3

What are you talking about? Brandon doesn't troll.

This is one thing I can't wait to see go away. The "AAA" game. Millions spent to have the player hold Forward and have a book dictated to them. Doesn't seem like a game at all, more like a movie where you are required to just hold the play button to get through it.

I spent a lot of time in XIII taking in the scenery

EDIT: seriously, like at least 15-20 hours of my total playtime of XIII was me sitting there with the HUD toggled off trying to get the best possible angles for the set pieces. Lake Bresha was probably the standout of them all.

Edited by relyanCe

Why don't you lurk more? You literally only troll and it's getting old.

final-fantasy-7-cloud-model-up-close.png

final-fantasy-xiii-hd-df-06.jpg

i dunno i feel pretty sorry for that dude who had to make models for ff7. looks a lot more time comsuming to me. and all that animation work on everyone's completely static clothing, pizzafeet, hand-nubs, hair, and facial expressions? man. i just don't see why modern final fantasies would take so much longer when the old games are so technically complex

oh wait

like give yourself a break from your delusions for a second. from his legs down is literally 50 polygons. 50. if i felt like wasting another 2 minutes i could count them all but if you're not seeing where your guys' question is dumb then that's a shame i guess

Edited by The Derrit

i think even lightning and snow are amazed at how dumb that question is

i mean, the looks on their faces say it all (which actually is another indicator of how much graphics have improved, which is another reason dev cycles have lengthened)

i think the hair on snow's face might have more polygons than all of cloud

quoted for emphasis. i thought 13-2 was actually really, really fun, and the battle system was awesome.

i am in the process of enjoying xiii-2 though the setup and the dialogue were not very good. it's better now that i'm in quests and whatnot but the intro had me groaning.

the combat system and customizing your monsters is a huge time-sink, and in a good way

• 2 months later...

Here's a "new" trailer that plays like a compilation of footage we've already seen:

From TGS

Looks good, but still seems like a very focused area of footage, either that or the game has a pretty consistent tone. Who knows. Looks great in 1080p, still no release date, still no English localization or even casting rumors.

Here's what I expected to see, to change the tone:

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110921155430/finalfantasy/images/b/bc/FinalFantasyVersusXIII_combat_2.jpg

(areas that weren't just city areas)

• 4 months later...

I typed up some big thing and Chrome lost it because the internet is so spotty here right now.. So here's just a flood of links, some positive, some negative, with NO commentary or explanation. I apologize.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/02/14/final-fantasy-xv-is-quite-far-into-development-says-square-enix/

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/square-enix-releases-revealing-new-final-fantasy-xv-trailer-japan/

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2014/01/final_fantasy_xv_director_says_ps4_is_a_mountain_to_climb

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/13/e3-2013-final-fantasy-xv-was-almost-a-musical

http://www.p4rgaming.com/tetsuya-nomura-spent-3-months-convincing-square-enix-not-to-move-final-fantasy-xv-to-smartphones/

The interviewer then asked Nomura what he learned from this experience to which he replied, “Every time I hear the Angry Birds music, I just want to take that person’s phone away and throw it as hard as I can to the ground.”

threw-it-on-the-ground.gif

Soo, they approved FFXV to go back to consoles because Nomura designed a bunch of clothes for Lightning?

wtf.

Either SE really has lost touch or this is what business deals in Japan have been reduced to.

Yu Suzuki offered to personally pay back any loss his early arcade games endured. Nomura offers to design clothing. Digital clothing. :<

Soo, they approved FFXV to go back to consoles because Nomura designed a bunch of clothes for Lightning?

wtf.

Either SE really has lost touch or this is what business deals in Japan have been reduced to.

Yu Suzuki offered to personally pay back any loss his early arcade games endured. Nomura offers to design clothing. Digital clothing. :<

I honestly think FF15 development either needs to be made into a sitcom, or some kind of movie. Maybe a romantic comedy drama. :tomatoface:

• 7 months later...

After a year of basically no news we have finally something!

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/09/17/final-fantasy-xv-demo-episode-duscae.aspx

Final Fantasy XV demo in 2015, hooray

If it's anything like how the FF13 development went, hopefully the demo will help them with finalizing

Of course take the link with a grain of salt since there's no source listed..

edit: Apparently the info is legit but the gameinformer article went up early, it was supposed to be posted during TGS and not this early.