Final Fantasy XV

So the fact that it's a boy's day out kind of appeals to you?

You know, in real life, the idea of going on a long road trip with a bunch of friends doesn't appeal to me much, but it really looks like fun in a game. I just don't like traveling. I like arriving but not traveling.

@Thin Crust: Do you mean that in the areas they showed in the video there will actually be many more landmarks and not as much open space?

You like arriving but not traveling!? But you love RPGs!? How does that work? :lol:

Most of your time in RPGs is spent running across a world map and battling.

The fact that you're in a car this time just speeds up the travel a lot. But you could still get out and run without the car.

Man I can't believe that, maybe you just haven't traveled with the right people yet? You oughta visit sometime, we can go on a manly road trip, it'd be awesome.

The jokes are funny but this is a super unique idea for a game storyline and I'm excited for it. You really never see this, especially in mainstream type RPGs, a genre that ALWAYS has female fronting characters of some kind.

?????? Care to name any? FFX-2 is the only one that comes to mind. FFXIII maybe, but I haven't played it so I have no idea.

Like...seven Shin Megami Tensei games came out since I bought FES in 2008, and the only one to have a female lead was P3P, which isn't even canon.

FFIV revolves around Cecil and his redemption...

FFX is about Yuna...AND Tidus, complete with all his daddy issues. He's very obviously THE player character. Our perspective character.

The only JRPG series I've played that has consistently had female characters up-and-center was...Pokemon. Because you could actually choose your gender and the majority of the Champions in the last decade have been female.

I don't think he necessarily means as a lead character, but a major character. There's been TONS of major female characters in Final Fantasy (Rosa, Rydia, Terra, Celes, Aeris, Tifa, Yuffie, Rinoa, Garnet, Yuna, Lightning, etc etc) that you can have in your party. There are TONS of RPGs with female characters that if not in lead position have some importance to the story and in your party as playable. Its so much the norm, I can't think of a single game off the top of my head that has an all male cast.

This one seems to be focusing around 4 male characters in battle and that's pretty much it... now, this could be just the beginning of the game and things change later on, but it is an oddity to not have any female in battle at all right from the beginning. FF has been doing it since at least FF2, if not the first game depending on your opinion of the gender of the White mage.

Its not a game breaker obviously, but it is REALLY strange.

So far, this game seems to be going for a FF8 / 13 style with its design and characters, which I'm not a super fan of either one of those games.

I still have hopes that it'll be good based on the KH team working on it, but I really really wish they would stop trying to impress us with graphic tech demos.

NOBODY CARES SQUARE, show us more of the gameplay / battle mechanics / story, etc. I don't care that you've figured out how to do rain and lighting (woop de doo, welcome to modern graphics?) I don't care about 4 guys driving around in a realistic car, looking at "realistic" environments. The only interesting parts in those clips are the enemies, and they don't even fight them in the 15 mins that pass.

The focus on graphics is what's been holding BACK your games as of late. STOoooooop

Edited by Crowbar Man

I don't think he necessarily means as a lead character, but a major character. There's been TONS of major female characters in Final Fantasy (Rosa, Rydia, Terra, Celes, Aeris, Tifa, Yuffie, Rinoa, Garnet, Yuna, Lightning, etc etc) that you can have in your party. There are TONS of RPGs with female characters that if not in lead position have some importance to the story and in your party as playable. Its so much the norm, I can't think of a single game off the top of my head that has an all male cast.

This one seems to be focusing around 4 male characters in battle and that's pretty much it... now, this could be just the beginning of the game and things change later on, but it is an oddity to not have any female in battle at all right from the beginning. FF has been doing it since at least FF2, if not the first game depending on your opinion of the gender of the White mage.

Its not a game breaker obviously, but it is REALLY strange.

So far, this game seems to be going for a FF8 / 13 style with its design and characters, which I'm not a super fan of either one of those games.

I still have hopes that it'll be good based on the KH team working on it, but I really really wish they would stop trying to impress us with graphic tech demos.

NOBODY CARES SQUARE, show us more of the gameplay / battle mechanics / story, etc. I don't care that you've figured out how to do rain and lighting (woop de doo, welcome to modern graphics?) I don't care about 4 guys driving around in a realistic car, looking at "realistic" environments. The only interesting parts in those clips are the enemies, and they don't even fight them in the 15 mins that pass.

The focus on graphics is what's been holding BACK your games as of late. STOoooooop

They've already convinced me they could do weather in A Realm Reborn. <3

So yeah, more gameplay would be nice. If I recall correctly, XIII's development had similar progression where they were still working out the combat very late in the development cycle. Here's hoping this is a bit more settled, and the footage selection is simply misguided.

They've already convinced me they could do weather in A Realm Reborn. <3

So yeah, more gameplay would be nice. If I recall correctly, XIII's development had similar progression where they were still working out the combat very late in the development cycle. Here's hoping this is a bit more settled, and the footage selection is simply misguided.

That baffles the ever-loving hell out of me, to be honest. JRPGs are so combat-heavy that I find it inconceivable that the combat isn't even close to done until really late in the cycle. :o

They showed so much of the combat for so long that I actually thought it was a breath of fresh air when they finally showed the trailer with battles disabled just so we could see what the open world looked like. That's the one thing that had been missing all these years, we had no idea what the world was going to look like.. now we know. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

It'll have to be a really groundbreaking experience to convince me that Square hasn't been overrun with Jpop-obsessed circle jerk drama freaks who can't make a storyline that expands beyond already annoying JRPG character archetypes.

The trailers haven't helped.

I suppose I may have to "play" the game rather than hype it?

Eff this.

• 2 weeks later...

We're going to have to wait and see but based off this trailer i can say this.

They are merging God of War like plot elements and quick time events.

They're pushing forward on the battle style combination of 10 and 12 doing away with Turn based in any format giving a more action like experience. Those tend to go to shorter plots. (which can be troubling) But will appeal to DMC/Bayonetta beat-em up type fans.

The question with the above is can that sustain a longer plotline and significant boss fights for which the series was previously known for.

That being said however the writing of this plot suggests significant modern influence and a more political look than previous final fantasy endeavors. If it goes Overtly political it's gonna be a dog's breakfast. BUT if it keeps edgy while not getting preachy this could be a VERY good turn for a franchise that has had 2 failed MMO's and only one solid game since its 9th endeavor.

Final Fantasy has been one of the premier story telling mediums in Video Games. I really hope Square has gotten back to Telling a real story here.

You also can see FF8's heavy art influence in this trailer. The cars are Iconically from the FF8 line with a few tweaks and the Clothing screams of that game to this point. I havent heard anything about this being set in the FF8 world. But it wouldn't surprise me at this point if they went there having went back to Ivalice for FF12. (The last good FF imo)

Also note the Behemoth they were hiding from. It's taken different forms IIRC but again FF8's influence shows.

I mark out the FF8 points because FF8 was imo an remarkably underrated final fantasy. The plot was deep and kept you guessing, the soundtrack is about my personal favorite, and the junction system and card game were flat out inspired.

If the thinking that brought that game about is at work in THIS final fantasy. FF15 has the potential to be a return to prominence for an aging franchise.

I've lost interest in these games ever since X. Since then, I played through about half of XII and watched a friend play an hour of XIII. That was enough for me to decide it wasn't for me. That said, these new trailers for XV have me really excited.

The anime tropes haven't completely disappeared but even Prompt's dialogue doesn't make me cringe the same way every character in XIII did. Bringing back exploration in the form of that overworld (?) looks like a lot of fun and potential for cool secrets to find. The story seems very simple, and I actually really like the fact that turn based battles are gone. I do wish you could control more than one character directly, but it's not a deal breaker. So far, this is the reason I'll be buying a PS4.

I've lost interest in these games ever since X. Since then, I played through about half of XII and watched a friend play an hour of XIII. That was enough for me to decide it wasn't for me. That said, these new trailers for XV have me really excited.

The anime tropes haven't completely disappeared but even Prompt's dialogue doesn't make me cringe the same way every character in XIII did. Bringing back exploration in the form of that overworld (?) looks like a lot of fun and potential for cool secrets to find. The story seems very simple, and I actually really like the fact that turn based battles are gone. I do wish you could control more than one character directly, but it's not a deal breaker. So far, this is the reason I'll be buying a PS4.

Personally if this game is Sony only i'm never going to touch it. Sony over the past week has disappointed me to levels previously thought impossible.

If this game is not on Xbox One i dont want it.

Just checked. Its on Xbox One.

Edited by Hyperion5182

I'm also disappointed by Sony but not enough for me to switch to Xbox. Historically more games I like to play are exclusive to PS than XB.

You're probably not as political an entity as i am. A lot of gamers aren't.

But i hope it makes you re-examine things.

As for me i was OUT of the console wars until my computer died. Now i'm considering buying one while i take the time to build my 3k masterpiece. Recent events made the decision very easy.

we've known it was more action-based since last E3. and it's a new world, no ties whatsoever to FF8. In fact, it's closer to the XIII games and Type-0 than those, as it was part of the Fabula Nova Crystallis series back when it was Versus XIII.

also the FF8 Behemoth design is based off of older Behemoth designs as seen in FF2, FF4, and FF5. As an aside, the Goblins are based off of the FF2 design and those mammoth things in the field are Garulas from FF5.

oh and the Junction system in FF8 is literally just an evolution of the Esper system from FF6.

Edited by Mirby