Looking for Critique: Epic Orchestral Music

Welcome to the forums! Go introduce yourself in the Newbie Introduction thread if you haven't already.

Let me caveat this with the fact that I am listening on computer speakers at work, so I can't give you in depth feedback.

I really enjoyed the intro, yes, it's very Skyrim. The piano throughout is nice, if maybe a little mechanical at around 0:40

I would like to hear a melody come out a little bit more after the minute mark.

It fits very well as a background soundtrack to something, but as a standalone piece it's not very engaging to the ear. I'm not sure what the intent for it is; it would sound good as a soundtrack. Do you plan on going anywhere else with it?

Overall I think it sounds quite nice.

Welcome to the forums! Go introduce yourself in the Newbie Introduction thread if you haven't already.

Let me caveat this with the fact that I am listening on computer speakers at work, so I can't give you in depth feedback.

I really enjoyed the intro, yes, it's very Skyrim. The piano throughout is nice, if maybe a little mechanical at around 0:40

I would like to hear a melody come out a little bit more after the minute mark.

It fits very well as a background soundtrack to something, but as a standalone piece it's not very engaging to the ear. I'm not sure what the intent for it is; it would sound good as a soundtrack. Do you plan on going anywhere else with it?

Overall I think it sounds quite nice.

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it! I wrote it intending for it to be a soundtrack of sorts, and less of a standalone song, so that's probably what you heard. As for where I'm going with it, I think I'll do a few revisions to make the strings at the beginning more gradual, and the piano less mechanical like you said. And I definitely hear you when you say there isn't really a melody after the minute mark, but for this particular piece I was intending it to be less of a standalone and more of a background kind of music. Even so I probably should have gotten more of a melody in it.

I would agree as well, the strings at the beginning more gradual would make a big difference. That really long sustain just doesn't have enough expression to make it seem quite organic. It's a subtlety, but can make a big difference.