"Tempered Steel" Touhou 2 Remix

Hello! This is my first post here in the Workshop, and this is the first remix I've gotten to the point that I'm confident to show it for public feedback. The song I'm remixing is

, from Touhou 2: Story of Eastern Wonderland. It's a techno-ish song, that is probably pretty vanilla, but I'm enjoying making it, and I hope you enjoy listening to it!

The Remix: https://soundcloud.com/degree0/tempered-steel

Edit: The mixing sucks because there isn't any. I work in a tracker and I have no idea how to mix well anyways <_> sorry.

Edited by KentaKurodani

Hats are too loud, soundscape is very bare, instrumentation is somewhat weak. Get rid of the vanilla synths, and add something to create musical climaxes in the track - as of now, the first part is pretty boring, it picks up, and then stays the same for the second half. Things brightened up when the chips entered, and then the track ended. Not bad for a first mix, but it still needs work.

Some mixing could do great things to your sound, I think. :) If you have learnt to use a tracker, then I see no reason why you couldn't learn to use a modern DAW too.

And if you really don't want to lose the tracking style of composing, there are some hybrid programs that combine a tracker-like interface with modern music production. Renoise and Jeskola Buzz are the first ones that come to mind for me, but there are probably many others.

Every time I try to learn a DAW, it feels overwhelming, I feel comfortable in the tracker stuff. I'll be sure to check put Renoise though.

Pretty much every DAW feels overwhelming when you first try it. However, if you've learned how to use a tracker, I'm sure it won't take you that much longer to learn how to use a DAW from a basic standpoint.

About the only thing that I care about that a daw can do that a tracker cannot is effects, which I can just do by exporting the channels as .wavs separately, then loading them into Reaper.

Also, once I finish uploading, this post will be edited with a song update.

Highs are still a little too harsh - EQ the top end off of them a bit to soften em up, and maybe put some reverb on the hats to push em back a tad. The piano lead lacks prominence, I'd choose a different sample or maybe a different instrument. Still, this is a step ahead of the last one, so good job on that.

The arrangement is fine, but I'm not a big fan of your drum sounds and drum writing, though I admit I'm not an expert on the genre so I can't really tell you what to do about it. The mixing could be improved, but you won't get very far with a tracker. If you really don't like working with DAWs, you could export all your instrument tracks as wave files and import them in Audacity (despite what people say, it's a pretty good tool). Audacity has built-in support for VSTs (not VSTis), so you could do the processing there.