Super Smash Bros. 4

The Derrit

• 2 weeks later...

The Pikmin level looks like it takes place near a sewer or swamp... It might be one of the new areas in Pikmin 3, since I don't remember any area quite like that in 1 or 2.

Also did Olimar always have that built-in whistle in his helmet? I never noticed it before. It also looks like he's not using rock or pink pikmin.

The Pikmin level looks like it takes place near a sewer or swamp... It might be one of the new areas in Pikmin 3, since I don't remember any area quite like that in 1 or 2.

Also did Olimar always have that built-in whistle in his helmet? I never noticed it before. It also looks like he's not using rock or pink pikmin.

Perhaps the whistle is part of a redesign for 3. Also I don't recall him using Rock or Pink Pikmin in Brawl neither.

Why does it seem like everyone forgets Smash Bros. (N64)? It's like everyone knows it exists but it's hardly ever mentioned, it seems. Melee is always the most talked about, but maybe I'm wrong.

I just played that game again today. It's so much freaking fun. I honestly love it more than Brawl. I think just the simplicity of it just makes it really quite great.

64 is the least talked about because it's the oldest and most people have long since moved on. Melee remains relevant because it's fans are extremely passionate and the changes made in Brawl put a lot of people off

SSB was a ton of fun back in the day, I haven't played it in forever but lots of great memories. As I already mentioned, I would like to see throws as common KO attacks again as it was in SSB

Part of me wonders if the reason it's the least spoken of is because the time difference between SSB and SSBM was not nearly as large as it was with SSBM and SSBB. SSB and SSBM were only 2 years apart. SSBB released 7 years after SSBM, probably making it largely anticipated, and to those who didn't like it as much, disappointed when playing it, causing a large amount of chatter.

What I've learned from some marketing stuff is that when a company or person releases new stuff constantly (like yearly), people start getting a bit uninterested and they can fall behind and stuff (like technology hahaha). And then there's the times where there's something released and then 2 to 3 years later they release a sequel (or a new album or fill in the blank) and it is successful and highly noticed because it was anticipated and plenty of people had time to take in the previous release.

SSB was released only a bit of time before the GameCube was announced and then released, and right after the GameCube released, SSBM released on the console, so more of the focus turned on SSBM because of its improvements in only 2 years compared to the N64 release.

SSB looks incredibly dated graphically and even plays dated compared to SSBM. Its like night and day. There is very little reason to go back to SSB other than nostalgia. SSBM improved absolutely everything that SSB started and then some.

People go back to SSBM instead of SSBB because

A) Graphics aren't that much different (sure there is definitely a step up but SSBM still looks great)

B) Controls are floatier in SSBB and not an improvement. In SSBM some things that might have been glitches (like Wavedashing) became serious game mechanics for high level tourney players, and these were removed/fixed in SSBB

C) Lots of things/characters the Tourney playing "serious" folk don't like

D) All of SSB's characters are in SSBM, but not all of SSBM's are in SSBB

Edited by Crowbar Man

See, I guess I understand that, and yet I still think that SSB is just a fantastic game. Something about it just for me arguably makes it my favorite one. This clearly goes up against Melee, though I have not played that game in ages. It's seriously been years since the last time I played that game. Same with SSB. I just happened to be playing it within the past few days for the first time in a long time.

There were definitely some things in the first that were wrong, but that's because they were learning from it, basically. The mechanics have basically always been the same. They were just heavily improved in Melee. The first game was just really quite amazing, and I think they knew what potential it had once they finished it, leading them to do Melee, which was just incredibly outstanding, and to this day probably one of the greatest fighting games in history.

It could simply be the simplicity of SSB that I love. The more specific rules that could be set in Melee and eventually Brawl were definitely awesome, but something about just having a few specific rules and just playing the game just feels so good. And that same sense of excitement and feeling of throwing one up in the air or KOing someone off of a stage is there. It started there, and that same talent has been able to be present in each game. Just the way it's done; it's just soooo good.

But graphically, I definitely agree. Of course, the poor old N64 wasn't capable of what the GCN was capable of, obviously, but there were still some other N64 games that honestly did a better job graphically speaking than SSB. And Melee was really quite impressive for one of the first games to release on the GCN, and in the long run, they were quite beautiful graphics for the GCN anyway. It is honestly unfortunate that the improvement of graphics in Brawl were not so large. If Nintendo had pulled their act together and noticed the crap they pulled when throwing in the same graphics card in the Wii as the one that was in the GameCube, they could've definitely improved a lot.

And now, looking at the new SSB4, the improvements are way larger. From far away, it doesn't seem much better (just sharper and HD), but when you look close, lots of times it looks like polygon count doesn't even exist. Everything is sooo freaking smooth in the new shots. Little buttons and details on Link that used to be just textures are now actual modeled parts of the suit. Link now has modeled hair. Hair. Like, Sully from Monsters Inc. hair. Not a few modeled globs that have hair texture on them. No, it's modeled hair. I'm not sure I've ever actually seen Link like that in-game (which is sorta sad to say, honestly). Kirby finally has managed to actually be perfectly round, which is awesome, and I honestly like the way they are doing the colors this time more (focusing more on primary colors). Sure, lots of the realistic look stuff they did with Brawl is not entirely the same or present here anymore (especially with characters like the Mario roster), but I think this new graphical design looks pretty great. The amount of memory in the Wii U is huge compared to the Wii, so obviously they have a lot more space to make things look better.

But back to my main point, although I understand how the improvements made with Melee sorta covered up any light shone on SSB, something about SSB just makes it a really great game. And I can't totally put my finger on it. I don't think it's nostalgia, because although I get that a bit when playing the game, it doesn't seem to be the reason I play it nonstop for hours. If something is simply great because of the feeling of nostalgia, I honestly get easily uninterested in the game within 30 minutes of playing it, even if it was a game I remember from childhood or something. There is just something that SSB had that made it so good. And it's definitely something that was in the other two games as well, but I just can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's just the amazing feeling of anxiety to keep from falling off. Maybe it's the feeling of just using a strong side-A move and KOing someone. Maybe it's just the magic of seeing all of the legendary Nintendo all-stars together beating each other up. I really don't know. But something about it (that, again, seemed to be carried on with Melee and Brawl too) just made it such an amazing game. It definitely is a one-of-a-kind; the whole series is. And the way they put them together just naturally makes them one of the greatest fighting game series of all time.

Edited by Garrett Williamson

I think SSB has crappy graphics because they wanted the game to run at 60FPS, so they used models with a low number of polygons. Mario, for example, looks a lot better in Mario 64 than he does in SSB. Despite that, SSB was amazing. I remember having hours of fun with that game, even if some characters were kind of broken (damn you Kirby!).

Regarding Melee, I think people look more at it because it has a lot of technical stuff that makes it a more interesting fighting game. Also, GCN controler >>>>> N64 controller for fighting games.

To answer your other question: Melee had/was the most progressive improvement sequence.

But back to my main point, although I understand how the improvements made with Melee sorta covered up any light shone on SSB, something about SSB just makes it a really great game. And I can't totally put my finger on it. I don't think it's nostalgia, because although I get that a bit when playing the game, it doesn't seem to be the reason I play it nonstop for hours. If something is simply great because of the feeling of nostalgia, I honestly get easily uninterested in the game within 30 minutes of playing it, even if it was a game I remember from childhood or something. There is just something that SSB had that made it so good. And it's definitely something that was in the other two games as well, but I just can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's just the amazing feeling of anxiety to keep from falling off. Maybe it's the feeling of just using a strong side-A move and KOing someone. Maybe it's just the magic of seeing all of the legendary Nintendo all-stars together beating each other up. I really don't know. But something about it (that, again, seemed to be carried on with Melee and Brawl too) just made it such an amazing game. It definitely is a one-of-a-kind; the whole series is. And the way they put them together just naturally makes them one of the greatest fighting game series of all time.

It was a unique and innovative game that included the reasons you wonder about.

Edited by Salluz

I've always felt that the mid-air dodge in Melee was incredibly stupid. I like the way it was changed for Brawl. I still think the original Smash Bros. was the best (mainly because Link had his best moveset in the original. He got nerfed pretty bad in Melee and then slightly buffed for Brawl, but the original moveset is still the best). A lot of the "improvements" of Melee kind of ruined it for me. Even the graphics, I love the low polygon models of the N64. It may be just nostalgia, but the original just felt much more complete. Melee and Brawl both feel like Nintendo wanted to fix things that weren't broken.

Edited by Cerrax