Super Smash Bros. 4

The Derrit

I'm enjoying the demo so far. The controls are throwing me off though, and I haven't found a way to change them in the demo.

Specifically, they put dodge on R and grab on L. I spent a lot of time running around like an idiot. I hope there's a way to change that in the full game.

The game feels so smooth at 60fps, and every character I played felt overpowered. I would not be surprised if Nintendo designed the characters with competition in mind (especially with how the Melee scene has grown over the years).

Specifically, they put dodge on R and grab on L. I spent a lot of time running around like an idiot. I hope there's a way to change that in the full game.

Yeah, that's exactly my main issue. In Melee, L is for roll and shield. One hand for the defensive options. And then my right hand handles offensive, including grab on Z. So with it swapped in the demo... GAH. So many botched moves.

Also, 60fps is great. The characters are at 60fps but everything else like the assist trophies and the pokemon are rendered at 30fps. The difference is so clear when you watch both side by side. This game is probably the best way you can point out the difference to people.

Yeah, that's exactly my main issue. In Melee, L is for roll and shield. One hand for the defensive options. And then my right hand handles offensive, including grab on Z. So with it swapped in the demo... GAH. So many botched moves.

HOLY COW. That's what's been throwing me off all this time. I was wondering why everything felt just a bit hairy every time I played.

That said, I'm pretty hyped for this game to come out. I need to remember to set aside some money now so I actually have money for it when it's released. I'm a bit miffed by the character selection in the demo, though. I really wanted to try and play Kirby a bit and see if he sucked less than before.

I'm pretty sure Kirby sucks just as much as he always has. It's kinda his thing.

"What? I'm pretty sure people are saying he doesn't... oooooooh. Right." Took a moment for it to register.

Out of the demo characters, I'm finding I like Link and Mega Man the best. I'm bad with them, but I like the way they feel so far. Pikachu's in third, mostly because I haven't quite gotten used to controlling its agility with the 3DS controls. I'm not liking Villager so much, but we'll see if that changes as I get used to the controls (and later have the ability to actually customize them).

Phew, glad we avoided the whole Melee vs. Brawl thing. This game is its own thing for sure. Also, while I love Megaman and Villager, they're so weird for me to use - they fight so differently from any of the other fighters!

Though I've gotta say, I absolutely love playing Smash Potato with friends. It's way more fun than it should be.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll get around to playing people once I'm done unlocking everything lol. Not even halfway through beating Classic as all characters yet.

Can you actually USE customizable characters in things or is it just there for lulz? So far I haven't been able to use my "Kneel Before Samus" version in Classic or in Trophy Run.

(Friend code: 1392-5304-2378 )

Smash 3DS is absolutely sick so far -- I really like that everyone has customizable special moves, though I wish they were even more drastically changed like Palutena's set, which are actually different moves...one wonders if Sakurai had trouble deciding!

Problem: The special moves are taking FOREVER to unlock, even doing roulette on high-difficulty Classic mode. Hopefully when they say that custom characters made on 3DS can transfer to Wii U, that will mean that moves unlocked on 3DS will be unlocked on Wii U also.

this game is so addicting it's crazy.

how much has everyone unlocked so far? got all characters and stages, and about 3 blocks away from completing the second challenge panel. i only have 235 trophies so far, not sure how many of those there are. the whole trophy system never really interested me too much, though. they did make it more fun to collect them this time around.

ill add you too, armadonRK

Edited by urdailywater

There's over 600 trophies.

Also I'm on the third panel now and it's hell. It's got tons of the grindiest achievements, like finishing classic, all-star, and smash run with every character (and you must place 1st for it to count towards that character for smash run). Also 10-man and 100-man smash. 200 kills in endless smash, and so on.

Basically, by the third panel, you should not actively go towards unlocking stuff anymore. Let it come naturally or it will burn you out as you go through every mode 50+ times.

why wouldn't you get both versions? these games are great. at least i'm assuming that the wii u version will be good too.

smash on the go is something i've wanted for a long time, too. I didn't think it would control that well, but it actually feels very good to play. Still can't wait to use the good 'ol gamecube controller.

edit: i wont be able to add you guys till tomorrow unfortunately, my internet is being weird with my 3ds, but it shall be done! i used to play smash in competitive scene so if you're into that then lemme know. i don't really mind how we play, though.

Edited by urdailywater

this game is so addicting it's crazy.

how much has everyone unlocked so far? got all characters and stages, and about 3 blocks away from completing the second challenge panel. i only have 235 trophies so far, not sure how many of those there are. the whole trophy system never really interested me too much, though. they did make it more fun to collect them this time around.

ill add you too, armadonRK

I DON'T KNOW

I keep thinking "oh man, I've unlocked so much, surely..." BUT NO, there's always more help me

I've seriously just been running Classic mode as every character while also doing ordinary CPU brawls to get a feel for how much my customizations suck. Though my Zero Suit Samus is AMAZING. She's amazing.

Well if you get both versions, you can register them both on Club Nintendo and get the soundtrack.

Also while characters are the same between versions, stages and modes and trophies are different (I mean some are shared but not all). So for the full experience, you'd need both.

Also I'm having fun with Smash Run. Got like 600 Jump as Mega Man, and I was JUMPIN AND SHOOTIN