Super Smash Bros. 4

The Derrit

• 4 weeks later...

Smash Digital Event this SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY, just before Lucas gets released. 20 minutes long. Expect at least one fighter announced as well as the next batch of mii costumes, and some stages.

Wolf seems like the obvious choice to announce, but we'll see. We might get Ice Climber back!

I had a very vivid dream about them putting the Ice Climbers back. To make up for the technical difficulties, there were two versions of the Ice Climbers. One pair, only on the Wii U, was the normal, 'Brawl but better and more saturated color' type of style we've come to expect. The other, which was on both versions (and the only one available for the 3DS) was like a graphical demake of them. Almost as if they were characters in an N64 game - they would have fit well in Kirby and the Crystal Shards. They acted exactly the same as their higher poly pair, give or take some fidelity in ice effects. I have no idea why my dream gave them two separate slots for literal clones but so it goes. It was still one of my happiest dreams in a while.

Anyway they definitely won't do that and we probably still won't see them ever :( Dang technical limitations. Unless they wanted to put them exclusively on the New 3DS, or exclusively exclusively on the Wii U? That'd be bonkers, it'd never fly.

Also my money's on Pichu, our forgotten hero :')

:twisted: 

Here I thought the 3DS was full to capacity when it came to Smash Bros. I thought they stopped making characters for it because they didn't have enough room for them. I heard they canceled the release of Ice Climbers because the 3DS couldn't handle it. Now they are releasing Lucas and released Mew 2?

I don't get Nintendo sometimes, but I am glad they are updating their IPs a lot.

I got a Wii U middle of May, and it doesn't disappoint. I just need to stop buying used games (Disc errors every time).

I tried to re-main Falco (he was my main in Smash Bros 3) but for some reason he feels different. Idk how but lately I just cant feel his aura and can't be mained in SSB4.

Now though I like to main my original Mii Brawler. I fear I can't go online though due to me having to eject the disk every hour or so but I like my brawler in all star and Orders. (=

:twisted:

AHHHHHHHH the new characters are so good.  If you haven't seen the reveals yet, make your way to e3.nintendo.com post-haste, because spoilers abound below......

......(filler).....

Lucas is really good, and probably the character that makes the most use of B-reverse momentum -- alas, the Magnet Boost technique appears to be gone.  I assume Zap Jumping is out as well, but forgot to check.

Roy actually feels slightly different now!  It's Fox / Falco instead of Marth with a different sweetspot.  This is a great step in the right direction for the character, and those of you feeling like we didn't need a 3rd swordsman, I can assure you that the slot isn't a waste.

And lastly....holy balls Ryu is fun.  He has completely different attacks based on how long you hold down the button for each of his grounded normals.  This gives him roughly 2x the amount of normal moves for any other character.  Full list below:

Neutral:  jab (into strong-->fierce for AAA standard Smash combo) or Roundhouse Kick.

F-Tilt:  St. MK or F. MP (the overhead punch, which destroys shields in Smash as a substitute for "beats blocks")

U-Tilt:  Close Jab or Standing Strong.

D-Tilt:  Cr. LK or Cr. MK

All of his special moves also increase in damage based on how long you hold the button down....and all of them except Down Special (the focus attack) have a special "EX" version that can be activated by performing the appropriate motion from SF2 and the A button (note:  B button works also, but Ryu _can_ use specials with just the normal punch button).  So 236A is the Hadoken, 41236A is Red Hadoken (only usable via motion), 623A is Shoryuken, and 214A is the Hurricane Kick -- which gives a nice rising boost if used for recovery.

Lastly, all of the standard SF combos function -- Cr. LK --> Cr. MK --> Fireball is a thing, and Cl. Jab --> Standing Strong --> SRK works as well.  The character feels like there was MUCH more work put into him than they needed, and it makes the future of Smash DLC look very nice indeed.

Thoughts?

OMG.  Roy is very cool.  Definitely different from the other sword-wielding characters.  Lucas seems cool, but mostly got him for my friends to play with.  Ryu is awesome.  Easy to control, tons of moves, and he's very effective.  So awesome.

All of his special moves also increase in damage based on how long you hold the button down....and all of them except Down Special (the focus attack) have a special "EX" version that can be activated by performing the appropriate motion from SF2 and the A button (note:  B button works also, but Ryu _can_ use specials with just the normal punch button).  So 236A is the Hadoken, 41236A is Red Hadoken (only usable via motion), 623A is Shoryuken, and 214A is the Hurricane Kick -- which gives a nice rising boost if used for recovery.

Lastly, all of the standard SF combos function -- Cr. LK --> Cr. MK --> Fireball is a thing, and Cl. Jab --> Standing Strong --> SRK works as well.  The character feels like there was MUCH more work put into him than they needed, and it makes the future of Smash DLC look very nice indeed.

Yeah, there's a reason Ryu costs $1 more than the other DLC characters.  They all seem overpriced to me, though (especially compared to Mario Kart 8 DLC, which has great value).  I'll hold off and hope for a discounted bundle at some point.  Yes, I know there's already a bundle, but the discount is underwhelming.

Out of curiosity, since all attacks use the same button(s), how can the game tell between a Hadouken and a Hurricane Kick when Ryu is on the ground?  There's no "back" in SSB unless you're airborne.  Does it just infer based on the direction to the closest opponent?

• 3 months later...

Who is excited about the Super Mario Maker stage on 9/30?

Also, if you haven't done the math on the amiibo announcement and realized that Shovel Knight is very likely an incoming DLC character, there's that to process as well.  My guess is that we will get him sooner rather than later since the Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows expansion campaign just launched today. 

:<

Hope the Mario Maker Stage is 10$ or less, any more then that then I have to go back to the store and get another e-card lol

But judging by the video, it has promise. I hope that video of it is legit, because they make it sound like it is going to be amazing.

I prefer buying characters over stages but I might make an exception to this. To all those who want to know about this stage. youtube search "Mario Maker Stage". I viewed the stage from Ign. (=

:<

• 2 weeks later...

I love that the music for the SMM stage changes when the graphics do.  Well worth the pickup as a casual player, IMO.

As I understand it, the Pirate Ship stage has been retouched to make it work better as a competitive stage, by the way.  Cannonballs and catapult can no longer kill you, and you won't clip into the rock on the rare occasion it happens.

• 1 month later...