Mario Kart 8

Crowbar Man

Favorite track is probably Wario Mountain as it has no real laps and just looks amazing. Music? I'd have to go with the Cloudtop track as it steals its chorus from Gusty Garden Galaxy and that is just bad ass.

I'm satisfied with the selection of tracks but will not hesitate to download more tracks and characters if offered as DLC.

How about a Boo pack with King Boo as a playable character, with both a Boo mansion course and a Luigi's mansion course? 5 bucks. Make it happen Nintendo.

Absolutely agree about Wario Mountain. Was completely caught off-gaurd the first time Lakitu told me I was on "lap" 2 and it didn't look familiar at all.

One of my favorite things in the whole game is going through those areas where light is reflecting off water on the course. Like in Dolphin Shoals, when I've ridden over the eel and pop out of the water...the lighting there just gives me goosebumps. Basically the same deal making that last turn in Donut Plains 3.

Favorite tracks: Shy Guy Falls, Cloudtop Cruise, Mount Wario, Electrodrome. As for the retro tracks, I like what they've done treating them more like OCR-style arrangements than straight covers. Makes me feel like I'm playing a new track. Seriously, though, Ribbon Road was begging to be in this game. Take a break from MK64 now that you've practically exhausted its tracks.

Absolutely agree about Wario Mountain. Was completely caught off-gaurd the first time Lakitu told me I was on "lap" 2 and it didn't look familiar at all.

I was caught off guard the first time the final lap jingle told me that I'd missed the lap 2 marker. :<

Oh...and I'm really glad I can actually hear the music over the sound effects this time around. The balance was awful in Mario Kart Wii.

Edited by Hylian Lemon

What do you guys think the chances are of this getting a soundtrack release? I really think we're now firmly in a new era of Nintendo music. I hope the real performance trend continues! I've been so disappointed with the music of the Mario Kart series recently, but this has me so excited again!

We had an OCR community for Mario Kart 7. Has anyone made an OCR tournament yet? The game doesn't seem as eager to drop me when I'm in a tournament as opposed to random worldwide/regional matches.

Often, though, there's a period when everyone in the race gets nothing but coins and mushroom variants. Sometimes it lasts a whole race. Sometimes I suddenly get a banana and accidentally drop it because I was expecting another coin. It's odd. Anyone else experiencing that?

Does anyone notice the naming pattern for the series? GBA and GCN had names that were completely unrelated to the console (Mario Kart: Super Circuit and Mario Kart: Double Dash!!). DS and Wii had names that were named after the console (Mario Kart DS and Mario Kart Wii). And then 3DS and Wii U had numbered titles (Mario Kart 7 and Mario Kart 8 ). I honestly wonder if they'll change up the naming scheme again for the next generation. Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart 64 are the only times that the pattern doesn't seem to apply, but of course there were no handheld versions either (and also remember that Mario Kart 64 was originally going to be called Super Mario Kart R until Sonic R destroyed it).

Technically, Super Mario Kart = Super NES/FC, though you could say there are many "Super" that aren't SNES related, and "Super Mario" is its own kind of naming convention. But Mario Kart 64 = N64 obviously. MK:SC was actually called Mario Kart Advanced in Japan, so that was just a weird US name.

MK:DD is technically the only unique one, then went back to console naming scheme, now they've gone to numbers.

My guess is two things:

1) People were sick of having the console names stuck to the end of titles (*Insert Title Here* 64 was like every n64 game) so they tried something different, then stopped caring, now they've kinda just started numbering them.

2) GC didn't lend a neat title to add to games, like "64" "Advanced" "Wii" etc. Mario Kart GameCube sounds weird. Maybe the same reason why they went with numbers instead of Mario Kart 3DS and Mario Kart Wii U (add the whole "Whats a Wii U?" issue to that too), though there is another pattern of games coming out on the 3DS first and then later on the Wii U. (SM3DL->SM3DW, MK7->MK8 )

I'm sure the next one will probably be just MK9. Its its for their "combined next-gen" platform after this one, it will lead naturally

Edited by Crowbar Man

I set up an OCR group. Currently running 23 hours a day, but I'm going to narrow it down to one or two hours to encourage people to get online at the same time (the group can be used 24/7 anyway if you don't care about getting points). Let me know what time you like to play. This summer I'll be open mostly in the morning and evening (US central time).

OverClocked Racing

0268-4142-9420 (add it now so it'll be in your favorites!)

Current rules:

150cc race

All items

All vehicles

All controls

No teams

No COM

No using Roy unless you're Lemon

Depending on how much use it gets, I can also mix it up every once in a while with a bob-omb day or a team day or something.

Edited by Hylian Lemon

2) GC didn't lend a neat title to add to games, like "64" "Advanced" "Wii" etc. Mario Kart GameCube sounds weird. Maybe the same reason why they went with numbers instead of Mario Kart 3DS and Mario Kart Wii U (add the whole "Whats a Wii U?" issue to that too), though there is another pattern of games coming out on the 3DS first and then later on the Wii U. (SM3DL->SM3DW, MK7->MK8 )

I'm sure the next one will probably be just MK9. Its its for their "combined next-gen" platform after this one, it will lead naturally

Well for a bit of time people were actually guessing Mario Kart U and that could've worked and I was hoping for that rather than Mario Kart 8 but by this point I've gotten used to it and it's a fantastic game so I don't care hahahaha

Mario Kart 3DS wouldn't have been bad. Everyone was expecting it originally. Granted, it sounds a lot like Mario Kart DS so it may have gotten confusing.

OverClocked Racing

0268-4142-9420

Check it out. They have miiverse communities for individual tournaments. I can post updates to the rules/times there if you want to check them before turning on your Wii U. The tournament is currently active from 9-10PM US central time every day. I can change this at any time while it's inactive, so let me know if the time is preventing you from participating.

What do you mean? You straight up murdered me on Rainbow Road. Killed me off the first jump and I fell to my doom. Lakitu put me back before the jump and I just couldn't recover!

Yep, we had the time of our lives!

The same sort of thing happened a couple times with Adam and me. I fell off the first corner of Shy Guy Falls (entirely my fault :P) and couldn't quite catch up for the rest of the race, although I nearly made it by the end. In Mario Circuit, Adam ran into both of our green shells after we'd gotten like five alternating draft/anti-gravity boosts off each other, and he couldn't recover.

Then there was Dolphin Shoals, in which I was the absolute worst driver (fell into the big pit twice with nothing to blame but myself), but the game decided to let me win with a crazy eight. Such is Mario Kart, I guess.

I'm not really painting a very impressive picture of myself with all these stories about falling, am I? :<

Yep, we had the time of our lives!

The same sort of thing happened a couple times with Adam and me. I fell off the first corner of Shy Guy Falls (entirely my fault :P) and couldn't quite catch up for the rest of the race, although I nearly made it by the end. In Mario Circuit, Adam ran into both of our green shells after we'd gotten like five alternating draft/anti-gravity boosts off each other, and he couldn't recover.

Then there was Dolphin Shoals, in which I was the absolute worst driver (fell into the big pit twice with nothing to blame but myself), but the game decided to let me win with a crazy eight. Such is Mario Kart, I guess.

I'm not really painting a very impressive picture of myself with all these stories about falling, am I? :<

I was actually spectating the Dolphin Shoals one. Thought you were about to fall in a third time on Lap 3 haha