Mario Kart 8

Crowbar Man

Oh dang. I'm gonna have to do this now. Despite the fact it's really enraging.

I've gotten the gold in every cup but now I gotta get at least one star. Poop.

I got really really REALLY lucky on those last few Mirror Mode cups haha

But yeah, at least it's only 1 star you need and 3-stars on all cups.

Here's a tip. To get 1 star, you need at least 54 points overall.

1st place = 15

2nd place = 12

3rd place = 10

While getting all 1st place finishes helps, you really only need:

2 first + 2 second (54)

3 first + 1 third (55)

3 first + 1 second (57)

4 first (60)

Those are the combinations that lead to at least 1 star. Hopefully that will help.

I mean I got 3 first place finishes in Lightning Cup Mirror Mode and almost got a fourth, but I was hit on that last jump. It bumped me down to third, but that was still enough for 55 points overall, and therefore one star. I was a lot less stressed out when I knew I still had a chance if I finished a race in second or third, depending on what my previous places were. Knowing it's still possible to secure one star in that case really helps ease the stress.

Also, if you get say, 2 stars on a cup in 150cc and 3 stars on it in Mirror Mode, you'll then have 3 stars on it for all classes.

Edited by Mirby

I got really really REALLY lucky on those last few Mirror Mode cups haha

But yeah, at least it's only 1 star you need and 3-stars on all cups.

Here's a tip. To get 1 star, you need at least 54 points overall.

1st place = 15

2nd place = 12

3rd place = 10

While getting all 1st place finishes helps, you really only need:

2 first + 2 second (54)

3 first + 1 third (55)

3 first + 1 second (57)

4 first (60)

Those are the combinations that lead to at least 1 star. Hopefully that will help.

I mean I got 3 first place finishes in Lightning Cup Mirror Mode and almost got a fourth, but I was hit on that last jump. It bumped me down to third, but that was still enough for 55 points overall, and therefore one star. I was a lot less stressed out when I knew I still had a chance if I finished a race in second or third, depending on what my previous places were. Knowing it's still possible to secure one star in that case really helps ease the stress.

Also, if you get say, 2 stars on a cup in 150cc and 3 stars on it in Mirror Mode, you'll then have 3 stars on it for all classes.

hahahaha this is possibly the most unfair Mario Kart game to date as well.

THEY GAVE ME A GREEN SHELL IN FIFTH PLACE. THIS IS AN OUTRAGE.

yeah I kept getting really frustrated cuz I'd almost make first and then get fifth because getting back up to speed is PAINFUL in this game. and they all come FAST.

I think this may be the second hardest game in the series for me, the first being SMK. it's way way easier than SMK but it's still the second hardest for me I think

yep, Mirror Mode is basically complete luck and a little skill rather than the other way around.

Now I just need to beat all the staff ghosts (I think I've beaten 4 so far) and get 10000 coins and I'm good.

oh and I'll need to beat some cups with other characters (probably just gonna do 50cc cause lol easy) for those stamps too

also items are given out not based on place, but proximity to 1st place (or if you're in first, distance from 2nd). unlike literally every game before this

edit:

1dhspyU.jpg?1?8024

just need to get the rest of those stamps and 10,000 coins total

yay

Edited by Mirby

You guys might have a new challenger today... ;-)

Just came home with my brand new WiiU and MK8. Now I'll have to stay awake 'til 4.00 am (in my timezone). Well, at least I have some time to practice! HERE WE GOOOO!

I don't think I'll be available tonight. Weekday night turnouts have been kind of sparse, too, so you might be better off getting some sleep. Crowbar might be on, at the very least.

Any other players from outside the Americas? I could set the tournament to an earlier time on some days if you like. Sundays might be good for, say, 3PM CDT / 8PM GMT. Would be cool to have a time that worked for people in all kinds of time zones.

(I'm setting this Sunday to 3PM CDT / 8PM GMT, ok?)

Edited by Hylian Lemon

Had a

last night where wildfire dropped on top of me from the other path on Rainbow Road (you see her for a split second around 0:16), giving me a boost that startled me and sent me over the edge, where I then landed next to Adam further ahead on the path that she'd originally come from. It was like a terrifying accidental boost chain.

Question: Should I change the tournament to a once-weekly deal? It's hard to get everyone together without using facebook chat, and I don't know everyone on facebook. Or should we leave it open every night but decide on one day where we'll try to get on together? Saturday night seems good to me, but let me know what works for you all.

Had a
last night where wildfire dropped on top of me from the other path on Rainbow Road (you see her for a split second around 0:16), giving me a boost that startled me and sent me over the edge, where I then landed next to Adam further ahead on the path that she'd originally come from. It was like a terrifying accidental boost chain.

Oh man, that race. If there's one course that you should never get the gold mushroom on, it's Rainbow Road.

Oh man, that race. If there's one course that you should never get the gold mushroom on, it's Rainbow Road.

Hahah, why do you think I was always in last place? Apart from not knowing the shortcuts and missing all the coins because they get grabbed by everyone else as I'm following, I get da gold mushroom and spam it and literally drive off the map repeatedly

Also that's not the rainbow road that I know :cry: Not even the supposed N64 version

Edited by Brandon Strader

lol I cannot play with the gamepad

I have to do the Wii Remote and Nunchuck because that's what I'm familiar with and that's what I was good with on Mario Kart Wii

You can use the gamepad as your main screen or as a map even while using a different controller. I play with the pro controller, but I have the map set up next to the monitor so I can occasionally check what everyone's up to. Still wish they would have put a map on the main screen...

But yeah, I've used the gamepad as my racing screen once or twice when I was trying to keep up with a facebook chat session on the monitor.

You can use the gamepad as your main screen or as a map even while using a different controller. I play with the pro controller, but I have the map set up next to the monitor so I can occasionally check what everyone's up to. Still wish they would have put a map on the main screen...

But yeah, I've used the gamepad as my racing screen once or twice when I was trying to keep up with a facebook chat session on the monitor.

Yeah see, that's ridiculous. It's like they wanted to use the gamepad for something, so they put the map on that screen. I can't look down at the map and then back up at the screen; I'll run into a wall. Should've put the dang map on the screen.

I actually like it, it's like it turns my tv into a giant DS.

Yeah I don't get that. On the DS you don't have to move your eyes so far so it's easier to check the map and drive. This is an entire separate screen that I have to look down at and them back up at the tv screen. That doesn't work. That's broken. They should've put the darn map on the screen.

Yeah I don't get that. On the DS you don't have to move your eyes so far so it's easier to check the map and drive. This is an entire separate screen that I have to look down at and them back up at the tv screen. That doesn't work. That's broken. They should've put the darn map on the screen.

I think the map may have taken up too much real-estate. I kinda wish they would bring back what they did in Mario Kart 64 (unless I'm mis-remembering this), you could set it to show the relative positions of the characters going around the perimeter of the screen. Not an actual map, but at least you could tell if anyone was close behind you.

Here's a sorta-example, in between the two screens there's the characters, and these move left-to-right to indicate all characters' positions.

https://i1.ytimg.com/vi/Q-3qPtcC29E/maxresdefault.jpg

I think the map may have taken up too much real-estate. I kinda wish they would bring back what they did in Mario Kart 64 (unless I'm mis-remembering this), you could set it to show the relative positions of the characters going around the perimeter of the screen. Not an actual map, but at least you could tell if anyone was close behind you.

Here's a sorta-example, in between the two screens there's the characters, and these move left-to-right to indicate all characters' positions.

https://i1.ytimg.com/vi/Q-3qPtcC29E/maxresdefault.jpg

Oh yeah yeah, I remember that. That game was amazing. I liked that whole thing. But they still have managed to fit the map on the screen every time and they just couldn't do it this time. Instead they put it on the gamepad.