Mario Kart 8

Crowbar Man

The DLC is out! And it's good! Wild Woods is my favorite of the bunch. Great music and atmosphere, satisfying layout.

We're set to do 150cc DLC tracks (egg, triforce, crossing, and bell cups) this Saturday night, 9-10 central time. Maybe next week we'll do 200cc everything. Thursday as usual?

Some tips that helped me improve in 200cc:

- Choosing a new character and kart combo might help, but the most important thing is to learn how to brake effectively. You can maintain a drift if you brake without letting go of the acceleration. If a corner is too tight, brake a little while drifting. No amount of handling and traction will save you as much as that technique will. You're going to need those brakes a lot on certain tracks.

- Think carefully about doing tricks off jumps. It's not always wise. If you can, you might want to avoid the jump altogether. Same goes for certain shortcuts.

Some tips that helped me improve in 200cc:

- Choosing a new character and kart combo might help, but the most important thing is to learn how to brake effectively. You can maintain a drift if you brake without letting go of the acceleration. If a corner is too tight, brake a little while drifting. No amount of handling and traction will save you as much as that technique will. You're going to need those brakes a lot on certain tracks.

- Think carefully about doing tricks off jumps. It's not always wise. If you can, you might want to avoid the jump altogether. Same goes for certain shortcuts.

Yeah it was brutal the first play through. Wicked fun though. I am going bike or ATV with tiny wheels to get the hang of things first. Big Blue was my favorite new track. IMO the tracks on this new DLC are so much better than the previous one.

That was the best turnout we've had since last summer. Thanks for coming, everyone! For now, I'm setting the tournament to Thursday nights again.

I've also made the tournament code a requirement for joining. I think a few people found us tonight by searching for active 200cc tournaments, and I'd like it to stay more of a community thing.

Since we've got the forums all upgraded, I want to push for people to start using the forum's built-in calendar functions for organizing community events like game nights and stuff.

http://ocremix.org/community/calendar/

You should be able to submit an event for Mario Kart nights. All you need is a moderator approval on the event, which I can do on a regular basis.

I wish I could jump in on all the fun but still waiting for Nintendo to get my Wii U back to me.  How is 200cc?

First impressions are generally "WHY CAN'T I STAY ON THE TRACK?", and then it starts to click. I started with majorly traction-focused character/kart combinations, and now that I've gotten more comfortable with the techniques required to do well in 200cc, I'm back to my usual setup.

After tonight, I think we'll switch back to Wednesday nights. I'm not sure why I thought we met on Thursdays. It's been a while.