Sign in to follow this  
JDHarding

3. completed F-Zero : Mute City [ReMix]

Smooth, clean, safe - but ultimately very nice. : o Granted, I think the high end could use a little boost...but I hear what you were goin' for and thus it was accomplished.

I don't know much about this style, but the song sounds pretty good to me. I don't think you should boost the high end like Rukunetsu suggested, though I think you could bring the overall volume up a bit (you are completely free to disagree with me on this, I already said I don't know much about the style :D).

Sounds like DnB to me. In that case, the kick is too weak and clicky. The snare sounds like a generic default snare sample for some reason, or it's just one sample by itself with no layering. Try compressing your drums more with a fast attack and short release for a good snap, and layering characteristic drum sounds.

Other than that, I think the sounds you're using are pretty low quality, and the whole song is overcompressed.

I agree with Timaeus on the compression/limiting point. Also you kick sounds, well, "mute"d. Its a pretty important element and I'd like to hear it more prominent in the mix. I like it though.

(On a side note this is my third day on these forums. so far Ive been commenting on a lot of remixes for really retro games. I figured this site would have mostly younger people on it, but people are "showing their age". I wonder what the average age of an OCREMIXer is?) :P

1:44 - 1:50 -- I feel this section needs a little more energy compared to the few moments before it to make it seem more climactic. Maybe kick up the drums for a second or layer another sound.

Overall, I like it, but feel that the level of intensity is too consistent. The drums keep the energy high during (relatively) low-intensity sections (ex. 0:44-0:54, 1:00-1:11, 1:33-1:44), which I like, but when the lead kicks back in, the overall intensityr doesn't get much higher.

But part of this could come from listening to this on crappy speakers. I like it. If you'd have enabled downloading, I might be adding it to my archive.

Quick listen:

Overall level is fine. Kick and snare are way too soft / everything else is too loud. Intro/A-part mixing is fine. B-part needs the kick and snare louder. C-part also has a melody that's somewhat difficult to make out. Solo is cool (sounds a bit like Aero Gauge, too). No ending?

Yeah, I agree. Somehow it's missing some midrange, either by EQ or just the lack of a present lead, and got more piercing in the highs. I don't hear overcompression though, so that's a drastic improvement from last time. :) I don't find the hi hats as much of an issue, though it kinda just plays 8th notes. So I think it improved in the overcompression but added in some issues in the upper treble. Overall, it got better. :P

I think the snare was improved and the EQ is a little better, but I'm still getting a piercing quality from the upper treble instruments, and the midrange on the chordal instruments is still fairly low, making it feel empty. You might want to try this as an EQ reference.

Edited by timaeus222

Much of it is gone, but no, at 1:51-2:36, the lead is still piercing. You can't just cut above 10kHz and call it good; you have to listen for what you did and see if you really did what you wanted.