OCR01466 - *YES* Super Mario Bros. 2 'Gypsy Jazz'

djpretzel

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/superm~1.zip - Track 3 ("Overworld BGM")

The hiss wasn't a dealbreaker, but I wish it could have been eliminated. Pretty brief, and there was at least a decent amount of personalization with the source tune even if the interpretation wasn't unique enough on its own to pass the bar.

Gotta roll with the post-Mid Night/Protricity line of thinking here. I'm feeling the original/improvised material over the backing "Overworld BGM" chords from 1:08-2:01. But (especially for such a brief mix), I gotta hear more of the actual melody being interpreted rather than you going off on your own thing for such a lengthy period of time.

Nonetheless, props for making a 2:26-long piece of work seem more like 3:30, and doing so with pretty simple instrumentation. If you're willing to involve more of the actual Overworld BGM melody in the arrangement (percentage-wise, or by simply adding more to the track) and trying to improve the recording, I'd feel more confident in supporting this as a more substantial arrangement.

NO (rework/resubmit)

i disagree with larry.

i think the remixer exhibits a very musical interpretation of the original melody. his soloing, although not spectacular, shows that he understands the chord structure as well as the stylistic subtleties of the original.

for example, the original's chord progression is indicated with a bassline, but the remixer outlines and expands upon that progression with just the rhythm guitar. no bassline is needed.

not the most daring arrangement we've ever seen, but there's plenty of interpretation and musicality.

YES

the melody and structure are more or less the same as the original, but the rhythm guitar does a wonderful job voicing chords that could not be expressed on NES. the solo is okay.

The arrangement is conservative, but the performance is good. what has me on the line is the recording, which is a bit shakey.

tentative YES

"i liek it"

It's intimate, interpretive, and nicely played. Chord voicings are nice, and it sounds full, despite being a solo effort.

I also agree with Jon; the Mario 2 overworld chord progression is fairly unique and recognizable. The solo section does a good job of keeping that and working it with. I'd have more of an issue if the chord progression was thrown out or radically altered.

YES

...but I'd like to see a full-panel vote and a possible pretzel weigh-in on this one. Just to be sure. It's a tricky piece.

Can't dislike this. The recording isn't the best, the playing is a little questionable at times. But the charm is all there. Musically, I can't fault this. It's fun to listen to, nothing really stands out as an issue to listen to.

In the arrangement sense, I have no issues with what we have here. It's similar in style to the original, but upgrading from the basic nsf sound to the bouncy string guitar sound we have here is not simply a matter of note-for-note. There are a lot of holes to fill. To learn those holes and then execute it as well as it has been here, I think deserves a spot on the site.

YES. Absolutely awesome.

Larry asked me to weigh in on this mix.

Heh, this reminds me of the music in the Monk series... A very good thing.

I do agree this is a bit on the conservative side, I would say this is probably the limit I would go to. I think we've passed more cover-ish material personally in the last year (things that should not have passed). What pushes this over the edge for me is all the subtle variations added to expand this, especially in the harmony and the rhythm of the piece department.

Production isn't pristine, but it's definitely above average and passable.

Charming work. Borderline Yes.