Man of Steel

JH Sounds

I have to say, I was a bit blindsided by the Matrixness of the film. At one point I even expected Perry White to blurt out "He fights for us." :) The fact that Man of Steel spends a bit more time rounding out the character motivations is where that similarity ends though. I assumed the whole retelling of the Krypton/Smallville mythos would bog down the film, but I think they did a decent job of using those moments to flesh out the characters (Kal-El in particular) to make their plights relatable. These are aliens who have powers beyond a normal human being's comprehension, and yet I managed to care about them a little bit. I think that's an accomplishment. Having both the internal and external conflicts be about alienation also works decently, I think. Snyder, Goyer and Nolan work pretty well together IMO; an example that comes to mind was that one brief shot showing Zod's crew salvaging an engine part or somesuch thing -- it's a striking visual image of Kryptonians in Superman-like suits physically pushing a piece of machinery, accompanied by swift narration. It lasts like half a second, but it's very efficient and memorable exposition that's emblematic of a good storytelling team.

So, what did you think of the film?

Edited by JH Sounds

Very enjoyable movie. I was surprised how much screen time was dedicated to Krypton and Jor-El, but it ended up working really well. The story was strong enough to carry the action for the most part and there were no usual Nolan-style plot holes. Amy Adams was great as Lois, even though she doesn't really look the part. Action sequences with Faora were especially good.

The action and effects with all the collapsing skyscrapers and DBZ aerial hand to hand combat could have been cut down, there was just too much of it, it was hard to absorb everything that was going on and I quickly lost interest in following it. The scene with Superman battling the world engine could have been shortened dramatically too. Just too much Matrix Revolutions type CGI action all around bored me in parts.

Other than that, a great reboot by Snyder, Nolan, and Goyer. Next time, less grandiose CGI shitstorm.

it was good film, till the end.

i couldnt believe superman would kill zod, and when he was holding him he had atleast 2 other choices such as fly away with zod in his grip, covering his eyes.

he could also blind him,knock him out and send him into a blackhole.