Please help me decide between the new consoles

prophetik music

so there's been a lot of hype and misinformation in both directions for this generation of the console war. i'm still deciding if it's worth it to buy one of the systems. please help me decide which i should go for.

i should qualify this by saying where i'm coming from. i currently own an xbox 360, and i used to have a ps3. i sold the ps3 because it was basically a fancy blu-ray player for me, and i wasn't using it near enough to justify having it. i preferred playing cross-platform titles on my PC or 360 due to the much better online service. also, while i owned an xbox and a ps2, i preferred the exclusives of MS's consoles over Sony's.

so:

things that don't matter to me include price (i just want the better console and i'd be willing to pay for that), system installs, backwards compatibility, the whole system checkin thing (i have broadband and don't care about country folk), or the used game issue.

things that do matter to me include a functional and efficient online service that works (like, when i last had a PS3, PSN was literally a joke compared to XBL) and good games. if i can watch tv shows on the system from a website like CBS.com or something, that's a huge bonus.

so, like, what games are system-sellers? what features are just too good (or bad) to pass up? because i'm still not sure if i want to sell my slim 360 before the relative worth of it goes through the floor, or hold onto it until the systems are out for several months and go from there.

edit: i should clarify something. i have a lot of XBLA games, so if XBLA gets some form of backwards compatibility, i'd be interested. also worth noting is that i have no friends with a PS3, but almost everyone i game with has a 360. to an extent, what those people choose next generation will affect my decision.

Edited by prophetik music

Go to where the titles are that you want to buy. That's it. All the bells and whistles that console developers add mean jack squat if they don't have the right publishers making games for their system, AAA or otherwise. Sony is looking like it's offering the best options (and easier access to indie games so a bigger scope of games), but if the games you're looking forward to are on Wii-U or Xbox One then go that way.

things that don't matter to me include price (i just want the better console and i'd be willing to pay for that), system installs, backwards compatibility, the whole system checkin thing (i have broadband and don't care about country folk), or the used game issue
See, it's those last two things not mattering to people that has me worried. People being A-Okay with that shit will just show Microsoft that their fans are loyal no matter how ridiculous they get. It also sets precedence for much worse business practices. Microsoft has no good reason for doing any of this crap with Xbox One.

Anyway, if you're indecisive the best thing to do is just wait until both have been out for awhile.

From what I'm hearing, it sounds like Xbox is going to fit your needs the best. TV is a big emphasis of the Xbox One, so that will probably be your best bet in terms of probability of being able to watch CBS.com shows. The Kinect will also allow for lots of cool voice and gesture-based commands so you don't have to fiddle with a remote for your media.

Dead Rising 3, D4, and Forza 5 will be exclusive to Xbox, but the only game that looks to be a system-seller for most people seems to be TitanFall, and that's being released for PC as well. Everything else - Destiny, CoD: Ghosts, Mirror's Edge 2, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts - will be cross-platform.

The One itself will not affect the worth of your 360, as it is not backwards-compatible (at least with disc-based games). However, they will be releasing a new version of the 360, which might affect the resell value of older models.

As for what your friends are going to be choosing...well, probably the best thing to do is ask them. :P The Internet in general though seems to be trending towards PS4.

Proph, you want a DS.

It's backwards compatible, has no always-on requirements, plays used games without any issue, is pretty low in price, no system installs, hundreds of good games and has online. Want to watch TV? There is an optional accessory that lets you do that (in Japan).

BAM. Meets all your needs and is readily available.

See, it's those last two things not mattering to people that has me worried. People being A-Okay with that shit will just show Microsoft that their fans are loyal no matter how ridiculous they get. It also sets precedence for much worse business practices. Microsoft has no good reason for doing any of this crap with Xbox One.

Why are you concerned with what other people want to do with their money?

I don't know where I said I cared about which of the two he buys; just caring about bad business practices.

And I asked why you care. People can support whatever they want if they can afford it. If you need to be worried about anything in the future of gaming, it's this palpable wave of pretentious crapola turning gamers into self-confirmed industry experts and elitist snobs who took all the real fun out of gaming that's been building for the next two months.

Edit: My posts here may or may not be highly influenced by getting totally sick of the debate turning video games into something resembling a crusade for human rights.

Edited by Meteo Xavier

Anyway, if you're indecisive the best thing to do is just wait until both have been out for awhile.

used games don't matter because i want money going to the game devs, not gamestop. system checkin doesn't matter because i do the same thing with steam right now. it is nothing new, and the only way it can be called crap is to call other digital delivery systems crap as well. please take your strawmen on their slippery slopes and go to gamefaqs, they like mouthbreathing nerdrage that has no basis in reality much more over there. (can you tell i'm annoyed by the baseless speculation everyone's making over those two topics?)

dhsu, i didn't really think about it, but you're right - most of the big games i'd want to play are either crossplatform between consoles, or crossplatform between console and PC.

damned, i have one. i have zero games for it though :<

Someone wanted me to restate this in this thread just to see what everyone's reaction would be:

Only grandmothers and stupid mothers who don't ever do research on anything will buy [Xbox One]. And only stupid children will want it.

I will begin finding out how many people are really stupid in the world when I see the sale count when it releases.

There's that snobbish elitism I was talking about. It's very clear Xbox One won't be good for everyone, but by the simple basic rules of reality, it will have its reasonable fanbase.

I definitely get that.

But, uh, correction, the Xbox One won't be good for anyone, whether or not the fanbase accepts that factor or not. And the die-hard fanbase is going to try to defend it, even if there's nothing to defend.

Just like Sonic '06. lol

Edit: My posts here may or may not be highly influenced by getting totally sick of the debate turning video games into something resembling a crusade for human rights.

AMEN

Only grandmothers and stupid mothers who don't ever do research on anything will buy [Xbox One]. And only stupid children will want it.

because, you know, citing or explaining anything would be totally worthless. if you're going to say something so pointlessly inflammatory, at least explain (using small words) why you feel that way. if i wanted total bullshit, i'd go to the ign forums or something and chug Big Business's manjuice wholeheartedly. i'm attempting to get some info without the normal idiocy that goes on.

edit: links, i thought about waiting to get another console down the line, but to be honest i only ever owned a PS3 because it was a blu-ray player. it was an expensive boondoggle the rest of the time (well, aside from two uncharted games i played on it). i really didn't like any of the exclusive games, and the controller caused me cramps.

You sound like you would buy an xb1 no matter what, so go ahead and buy it! it's your money, and if none of the issues affect you then more power to you.

However keep in mind that you will most likely be unable to play your xb1 games a few years from now when microsoft inevitably shuts the servers down.

EDIT: but then again if you're selling your x360 it means you aren't the type of person that goes back to play 15 year old games on his console so I guess that's a non-issue as well. Well seems like Microsoft really has a market out there for the xb1.

Edited by Sir_NutS

You sound like you would buy an xb1 no matter what, so go ahead and buy it! it's your money, and if none of the issues affect you then more power to you.

However keep in mind that you will most likely be unable to play your xb1 games a few years from now when microsoft inevitably shuts the servers down.

i'm not leaning one way or another. i just don't want all this idiotic drivel every time anyone says anything about anything. like what you just said there, do you seriously think any major console manufacturer will be shutting down their 'servers' which will prevent you from playing any game ever within a few years of a multi-billion dollar launch effort? does that even make sense, when anything called an xbox will continue to print money for years and years without any effort at all? do you even understand the concept behind the online authentication? do you know how MS handled this in the past - like, with XP authentications when they shut the XP auth servers down (they just basically allowed anyone to install it without an issue)?

like, if you want to make a claim, that's cool! BACK THAT SHIT UP. it's not hard. just don't blather about the NSA staring at your naked ass through your turned-off kinect or PSN suddenly becoming jesus with bacon all over him or that my free games are better than your free games or whatever. it makes you look dumb.

i would love to have a real discussion here that didn't involve baseless speculation and stupid - just plain stupid - statements like that. i thought for sure that OCR would be a haven from that kind of bull. i'm sad to see that it isn't.

I don't understand how that works. Do you often buy systems but no games for it? Do you just put it on the shelf and look at it?

That's cool, I guess.

i had games. i sold them because i didn't play them anymore. i just haven't sold it because you never know when you might get something for cheap that's cool and fun again. that and a ds lite with a cracked case ain't worth much.

EDIT: but then again if you're selling your x360 it means you aren't the type of person that goes back to play 15 year old games on his console so I guess that's a non-issue as well. Well seems like Microsoft really has a market out there for the xb1.

was that supposed to be a dig or something? have we degenerated to that? i own two xboxes (one of them i got for next to nothing because it was banned ages ago and i never got rid of it). i'll keep one no matter what, so it's not like i won't have a box. i just won't be able to do online stuff, which isn't a biggie.

edit: links, i thought about waiting to get another console down the line, but to be honest i only ever owned a PS3 because it was a blu-ray player. it was an expensive boondoggle the rest of the time (well, aside from two uncharted games i played on it). i really didn't like any of the exclusive games, and the controller caused me cramps.

If we've done our research (and not a lot is needed), I don't see a point in citing resources when it's a pretty obvious conclusion.

i'm not leaning one way or another. i just don't want all this idiotic drivel every time anyone says anything about anything. like what you just said there, do you seriously think any major console manufacturer will be shutting down their 'servers' which will prevent you from playing any game ever within a few years of a multi-billion dollar launch effort? does that even make sense, when anything called an xbox will continue to print money for years and years without any effort at all? do you even understand the concept behind the online authentication? do you know how MS handled this in the past - like, with XP authentications when they shut the XP auth servers down (they just basically allowed anyone to install it without an issue)?

like, if you want to make a claim, that's cool! BACK THAT SHIT UP. it's not hard. just don't blather about the NSA staring at your naked ass through your turned-off kinect or PSN suddenly becoming jesus with bacon all over him or that my free games are better than your free games or whatever. it makes you look dumb.

i would love to have a real discussion here that didn't involve baseless speculation and stupid - just plain stupid - statements like that. i thought for sure that OCR would be a haven from that kind of bull. i'm sad to see that it isn't.

i had games. i sold them because i didn't play them anymore. i just haven't sold it because you never know when you might get something for cheap that's cool and fun again. that and a ds lite with a cracked case ain't worth much.

was that supposed to be a dig or something? have we degenerated to that? i own two xboxes (one of them i got for next to nothing because it was banned ages ago and i never got rid of it). i'll keep one no matter what, so it's not like i won't have a box. i just won't be able to do online stuff, which isn't a biggie.

First, calm your tits, I'm not taking a dig at you, I'm assessing the facts as they are presented. You said you would sell your x360 and never stated you own two.

I don't consider that a stupid statement at all, even more so since microsoft already took down their servers for the x360, and companies like gamespy also shut down theirs after a few years. Microsoft, as many other companies, drop support on their products after a few years, it's the natural thing to do, only this time it has the inconvenience of fucking up the consumer in the process and they haven't shown the slightest hint of caring about what the consumer wants.

I understand the concept behind online authentication. I am an IT engineer. They could use future xbox's authentication infrastructure to authenticate xb1 users, and they could not. They could keep the servers forever so you can play your physical games, or they can shut them down and sell them to you again in retro bundles and make a shitty excuse for it. You have absolutely zero guarantee that microsoft will keep their promise of not shutting down their authentication servers a few years from now. (well, not like they have even promised that, they are just telling people and the press not to worry about it)

If we're talking about making sense and doing things to keep people happy and not call upon themselves the wrath of the consumer, well we wouldn't be talking about this if microsoft was working with that mentality now, would we?

Also, why would you put servers in quotes, I have no idea, since they are actual servers.

People are pissed off by a reason, and everybody from press to xbox owners and non owners alike are calling them on their anti-consumer policy for a reason. Because they ARE anti-consumer.

Edited by Sir_NutS

In all honestly I don't know why you even made this thread. You obviously don't care about the ps4. You didn't mention the Wii U, and Microsoft policies are non-issues for you. You love their games, love their console, love their online infrastructure and love their controller. Why is this a hard decision now.

It comes off more as if you're trying to justify your decision in spite of all the negativeness around the console. And as I said, it's your money, and you do whatever you want with it.

In all honestly I don't know why you even made this thread. You obviously don't care about the ps4. You didn't mention the Wii U, and Microsoft policies are non-issues for you. You love their games, love their console, love their online infrastructure and love their controller. Why is this a hard decision now.

It comes off more as if you're trying to justify your decision in spite of all the negativeness around the console. And as I said, it's your money, and you do whatever you want with it.

^^^^^This.

hey, feeding from posts. whoda thunk.

so, i guess i'm missing where they shut down servers. are we talking about halo 2 or something? wasn't that like seven years after the fact?

look, i'm not trying to be anti-sony or something. if there's stuff going on, great! let me know! but don't spout random bullshit like only grandmas are going to buy an xbone, and then don't actually back it up with anything. that shit drives me bonkers. that's all i'm asking you.

so, if i'm so anti-sony to you, change my mind. look at them as game consoles and tell me which is better (since that's what i'm looking at). then tell me why =)

hey, feeding from posts. whoda thunk.

so, i guess i'm missing where they shut down servers. are we talking about halo 2 or something? wasn't that like seven years after the fact?

look, i'm not trying to be anti-sony or something. if there's stuff going on, great! let me know! but don't spout random bullshit like only grandmas are going to buy an xbone, and then don't actually back it up with anything. that shit drives me bonkers. that's all i'm asking you.

so, if i'm so anti-sony to you, change my mind. look at them as game consoles and tell me which is better (since that's what i'm looking at). then tell me why =)

I don't need to change your mind, because there's no point to it. Every single reason why someone shouldn't get an xb1 doesn't affect you, moreover, you favor microsoft's exclusives and favor microsoft's design. So I don't see any reason why you should even consider a ps4, and I don't know why you're looking for people to change your mind anyways. They can't.

Some people aren't buying an xb1 because although most of the issues don't affect them, they want to make a statement against the stuff MS is trying to pull off, but you don't seem to be caring about that either, so yeah, your decision is not even a decision.

Honestly, I'm not a console gamer, I stopped being one when the last generation launched. The PC gaming benefits greatly outweight any console exclusive I might miss (not many anyways) so who wins or who is anti-ms or anti-sony is just amusement for me at this point. Both consoles are just the same for me except for MS's stupid policies.

Also I didn't mention anything about grandmas.