MAGFest 12 - Post-MAGFest Depression hits again

Arrow

Ok so I have a dilemma. I didn't realize that New Year's Day is considered a holiday, and apparently the Marc train doesn't run today which is the only way I know to get to dc. Is there anyone who could grab me from BWI ? I'm gonna look at buses again but if there is someone please let me know! My number is in the google doc

I f-f-f-finally got into my room, 2 hours after getting here... no biggie I guess. I bet they won't let me check out at 5:30pm though. :nicework:

My room is 9-228 but im sleeping

Already saw Chimpazilla, Enumerator, Obtuse, hoodie, willrock, pud, norg, some other dudes. Lots of people I can't quite see because my eyes are blurry from the drive.

Edited by Brandon Strader

Look forward to meeting everyone! I will be volunteering at the festival during my time between panels and concerts.

I'm planning on attending at least one of the OCR panels, and the Machinae Supremacy concert.

I'm a Commodore geek, so I was exposed to Machinae Supremacy when they were still just remixing Commodore 64 SID tunes.

I'm actually just a sneeze away from where djpretzel is physically based in Dulles, Virginia. Hopefully I'll get to meet him in person! :)

I'm roomsharing, so maybe if someone is willing to vouch for me to visit (not crash at) the OCR suite? If not, that's cool - I've actually been a member of the community for over 12 years now, I just have just registered on the forums.

Again, look forward to meeting everyone. Please feel free to message me if you'll be attending too and want to chat about the C64, Amiga, or retro gaming in general! Have a great time, everyone!

Knight of the Round on Main Stage at 7PM right? Be there folks... Look them up on OCR or google if you wanna see what you're in for...

edit: also if you don't drink coffee put it in your bag and stockpile the 2 free ones you get a day then give them to me, just the regular dark roast, the other one is trash

Edited by Brandon Strader

Hey everyone! On the last day of MAGFest, some of y'all may know there's a semi-OCR-tradition of heading out to someplace for brunch -- the last 4-5 years it's been at Busboys & Poets in Shirlington (4251 South Campbell Ave., Arlington, VA 22206). It's a fantastic place that I always recommend to folks.

Anyway, the last two years, the group's kind of gotten too big for everyone to go altogether, and last year there was so much difficulty coordinating everyone's checking out and getting there at the same general time.

So... with that, here's my suggestion. If you want to go, organize into groups of 4-8 beforehand, and plan to get there by 2:30pm. That's the best group size to sit together, and the best time for checking out and getting there on time.

As for me, I'm afraid I can't organize any larger effort than this, especially last-minute... But, my tentative plan is still to go.

Had a great time seeing everyone again and meeting a bunch of new people this year! I've got at least 6+ GB of pictures and videos I took this year and I might post a few of my favorites in a little while. I'll definitely be posting the awesome OCR suite jams for those that missed them!

Thanks for the great times everyone and you all better be there next year!

Edited by Garpocalypse

I just remembered it is Garpocalypse's fault I missed DoD party~! When I was all like "just a little rum, I don't want too much!" then he keeps pouring, and pouring, and pouring, then the bottle is empty, then we steal from some other bottle of rum, until we both became silly pirates. Then I never saw him again! He hid!

Just kidding, he didn't hide. But for the future I DO need to make sure any interaction with people is epic enough that if it is the only time I see them, it would be good and memorable and not leave them feeling like "dang brandon was so boring, he didn't even popeye yell for me"

I basically started hugging people and saying "see you next year" and it was the saddest type of goodbye but it says hey, it's gonna be a year until I see you again... goodbye, here's a hug.

In the end I think physical discomfort won out over my wish to say goodbye to everyone or see everyone on the last day, and that's unfortunate. I did see a LOT of people, including someone I went to great lengths to try to meet the entire con and just barely met at the end, it was good. Had to skip Busboys and Poets to pull that off and also meet Tommy Tallarico. It was a good trade. :3

So no regrets about going to MAGFest.. it was a great time, and hopefully you all valued our time together as much as I did, because it was better than nothing.

I'm back in New Jersey now, but MAGFest was amazing! Thank you to all the ReMixers who took pictures with me. I also had fun bouncing off the walls during the Video Game DJ Battle. :-D (Ben Briggs' set was WONDERFUL!)

Also, it was good to meet halc. Loved his music for years, never met him before, but we bonded very quickly. Very nice dude! (also, halc... who's "Jacob"? Nah, I'm kidding. You know what I'm talking about... lol)

So no regrets about going to MAGFest.. it was a great time, and hopefully you all valued our time together as much as I did, because it was better than nothing.

Sure you don't mean better than everything?

Yeah, I had a blast at MAG. Finally made it. Words can't really describe how awesome it was to meet all'a y'all. Playing Cowboy Bebop music with Will about a moment after I landed at the table made this thing really awesome from the get go. Sweet jams with Melody, Cyril the Wolf, Diodes, Flexstyle, The OneUps, and a lot of other talented cats that helped run the thang over at shed space. Plus playing VG tunes with Will, DrumUltimA's quartet, and other mag goers in the hallway was great fun. Y'all can play!

Part of my sax broke after that though so I couldn't jam in the suite with those who were ;_;. But besides all that, great concerts, great gaming, great people. Special shout out to Brandon and Bahamut for their hospitality. I'd go on forever if I don't wrap my post up so hey, nothin' but respect for you OCR heads I just met... Can't promise I'll be able to put everyone's face and name together when next we meet (it was hard enough this weekend there's so many of you), but yo, love.

MAGfest is the epicenter of some great humanity. I leave very inspired.

So this is the Sonic song from DoD: http://dwellingofduels.net/dodarchive/13-12-MAGFest12/Anon-Sonic%201,%20Sonic%20Adventure%202-Anatomy%20of%20a%20Hedgehog%20A%20Hip-Hopera%20in%206%20Movements-DoD.mp3

This turns out to be by Prince of Darkness, finbeard, DrumUltimA, and SnappleMan

This seriously needs to be on the OCR front page.