Seeking Compo Interest - FF: Crystal Clash

Brandon Strader

Hi.

This is an idea I've been kicking around for a while, a weekly compo in the style of DarkeSword's Mega Man weekly compos, but with a twist!

To put it briefly, you would choose a character theme from Final Fantasy series. For example, you could choose "Hope" or perhaps "Shadow" from FF6, just as an example. You will then enter battle with an opposing Final Fantasy Character, let's say you choose Hope from Final Fantasy XIII and you get paired up against Rosa from Final Fantasy V, you would then create a remix that uses both themes.

Conceptually, it is called Crystal Clash because each remixer will enter with a crystal in their possession. For your battle, you will enter a "Crystal Room" and the winner will proceed with their crystal while their enemy's crystal is shattered.

The remixer who makes it to the end and shatters the final enemy Crystal will retain their crystal and be forever known as a Crystal Bearer. That Crystal can never be lost, although it would not be applicable in future compos. I mean, you don't get an "extra life" if we happen to do another one of these.

There might be bonuses for specific weeks wherein I will choose a third theme, probably a battle or dungeon theme, for you to mix into your remix. It'll be purely bonus and may sway the voter's opinions if you use it but it won't necessarily be required.

If anyone would be interested in joining such a weekly compo, which will not be scheduled to coincide with any other compo, please state your interest here but also feel free to share ideas or advice. It's my first compo. 8O

Before it begins, I want to paint up a nice roster artwork. We'll probably just use existing official character art for each character.

When the compo is over, if it appears to have album quality or can reach album quality, we can consider fixing it up and submitting it to OC ReMix. The compo will NOT be limited to posted remixers, but please bring your best work.

So.... who's interested? :D

FinalFantasyCrystal.jpg

Mr. L, your post disappeared but you are MORE than welcome to participate!

I hereby declare my interest in this. I have some free time now that I finished some project stuff.

Sweet!

I'd be in for sure.

Sweet!

WCRG is going to start in July, and that will last about three months. I don't have anything planned after that yet, so you can start FFCC around October, I think.

It'll be a bit of a wait eh.. Ok. That gives me time to wrap some things up, and paint the roster. Thanks!

What's the twist?

The twist is the crystals and stuff. It's all the same as DarkeSword's thing that's the real twist, it's an anti-twist. WHAT A TWIST! /shyamalan

Intrigue. What's the worst that could happen?

Your crystal could be shattered. ;-)

I'd consider participating.

Sweet! :-D

Great idea! I'm in, probably.

Great! :D

I'd be interested!

That's good! :D

I am interested. I try to be my best.

That's all I ask, thank you! :D

I would be interested, except for the weekly thing which is too much for me poor old 'ead.

I want the 1 week format because it helps push remixers to produce good music in a reasonable amount of time. I need the discipline and it might be helpful for others too. Also, if I made it 2 weeks or something, then it would stomp on toes of people who want to run a compo afterwards.

I would probably do it, yeeeeeeee.

Yay! :D

I would listen the crap out of this if it happened.

Also, I hope someone would pick Tifa's theme.

I would too, and Tifa's theme would be a great choice.

Sounds cool, but weekly songs is a bit too much (I suffered a lot in B4C2 because of that!).

It would be a good exercise, you could give it a try! No shame if your crystal gets shattered as long as you do your best.

I'd probably join and not make anything like I always do. :twisted:

Shame if your crystal gets shattered cause you didn't do your best. :-P

When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought you named it FF: Crystal Crashers.

(Final Fantasy + Castle Crashers = A game I wish was real)

May I offer a suggestion?

Since some of the games don't have an actual theme to certain characters, using a specific song from the soundtrack could become a good idea. For instance in FF1:

Battle Scene = Warrior of Light's Theme

Chaos Temple = Garlands Theme

Gurgo Volcano = Marilith's Theme

Floating Castle = Tiamat's Theme

In FF2:

Battle Scene 1 = Firion's Theme

Battle Scene 2 = Maria's Theme

Last Battle Theme = Emporer Mateus's Theme

Something simple that gives certain games (or characters) in the franchise an equal opportunity to be picked. I don't think Cloud or Cecil have themes of their own either.

I would be interested, except for the weekly thing which is too much for me poor old 'ead.
Sounds cool, but weekly songs is a bit too much (I suffered a lot in B4C2 because of that!).

Just to clarify, if it's the way DarkeSword runs his head-to-head tournaments, you would have a one week time limit, but would only be mixing every other week. So, there's at least a little room to breathe.

There are no character themes in ff1 or ff2, I think they start in ff3. Or, at the very least, Elia has a theme.

As for Cloud, he doesn't have a theme, but I'd be willing to let someone remix "

?" as Cloud's theme.

Mr. L, you're more than welcome :D

If anyone is worried about the 1 week thing, give DarkeSword's Maverick compo a try right now.

Edited by Brandon Strader

• 2 months later...

Anyone else interested in this?

I was thinking I'd like to make it more like WCRG, where instead of mixing a week and potentially getting knocked out, and feeling bad, you would join up with a team of other characters (three people) and would instead face a randomly selected character, let's call him/her a "nega version" or a dark version of that character, which you would then have to battle. Your theme plus that character's theme. You'd go 1 week then be off 2 weeks. A lot easier for people with not so much time who could then prioritize it every other week.

I would still be able to participate because I would RANDOMLY select everything, not with a coin flip, but either something digital or the old fashioned picking-it-out-of-a-tophat.

Thoughts?