Seeking Compo Interest - FF: Crystal Clash

Brandon Strader

Anyone else interested in this?

I was thinking I'd like to make it more like WCRG, where instead of mixing a week and potentially getting knocked out, and feeling bad, you would join up with a team of other characters (three people) and would instead face a randomly selected character, let's call him/her a "nega version" or a dark version of that character, which you would then have to battle. Your theme plus that character's theme. You'd go 1 week then be off 2 weeks. A lot easier for people with not so much time who could then prioritize it every other week.

I would still be able to participate because I would RANDOMLY select everything, not with a coin flip, but either something digital or the old fashioned picking-it-out-of-a-tophat.

Thoughts?

So basically a Final Fantasy WCRG, but with Characters instead of Robot Masters and Battle/Boss themes instead if Wily Stages?

I'm down for that.

Also, I think you should start sign-ups soon since the WCRG is probably going to end in about ~1-2 weeks.

So basically a Final Fantasy WCRG, but with Characters instead of Robot Masters and Battle/Boss themes instead if Wily Stages?

Noooo, character themes, not boss or battle themes. It's ALL character themes.

Also, I think you should start sign-ups soon since the WCRG is probably going to end in about ~1-2 weeks.

I think Sonic Zone might be starting up but I'll find out. :)

I liked your original idea. Elimination would only fuel the fire to get better but there's enough competition in the musical world as it is. OCR is a good break from it.

I like having teams but definitely up the time between rounds to 2+ weeks. I've found it is extremely tough to do anything more than offer a few crits with anything less.

I think boss/battle themes could be incorporated pretty well into the compo but of course it's your call.

get this thing rolling!!

:)

I get why 2 weeks would be better for the remixers but it would clog the system for other compos :-(

It would also cause a lot of fatigue on non-participaters. Really, remixers should only take an extra day, but that's hard to keep track of.

So, the next compos are looking something like this:

Sonic Composition ( SuperiorX), Final Fantasy Gauntlet (Brandon Strader), and Sigma Fortress Remix Gauntlet? (DarkeSword, he wants to do one eventually, won't have a chance until February-March)

I think DarkeSword is the Compo Commando.

A tournament style or gauntlet style competition would work well for this idea. Since FF is usually known for it's story telling, a narrative approach should garner more interest. If you really want to be different, you could just have an even number of villain characters vs each other and the same with the hero characters and the the final match could be just good vs. evil. Or you could just rotate the themes like in the Sonic/Mega Man compo. Just talk with DarkeSword, Brandon. I'm sure you guys could mesh ideas to make something.

I checked with Matt and he's not doing Sonic Compo after WCRG, so we may start up after WCRG. Have not decided between tournament style or gauntlet style, will try to follow up with DS.

Edit: Checking with DS, I believe we will stick with the tournament format. So it would be you against another mixer for the knockout, or your crystal will be shattered, the original concept. Character themes, no bonus themes.

Edited by Brandon Strader

I checked with Matt and he's not doing Sonic Compo after WCRG, so we may start up after WCRG. Have not decided between tournament style or gauntlet style, will try to follow up with DS.

Edit: Checking with DS, I believe we will stick with the tournament format. So it would be you against another mixer for the knockout, or your crystal will be shattered, the original concept. Character themes, no bonus themes.

So, when do we sign up? :)

Are all the characters going to be chosen for us or is it first come first choose?

You'd pick a top 3, and if someone else chose the same thing, it'd be settled with a coin flip... But maybe people could keep an eye on what has been chosen and not pick the same thing as someone else? So yeah, it's first come first served unless you wanna STEAL a character theme from someone else. 50/50 chance. :-P

You'd pick a top 3, and if someone else chose the same thing, it'd be settled with a coin flip... But maybe people could keep an eye on what has been chosen and not pick the same thing as someone else? So yeah, it's first come first served unless you wanna STEAL a character theme from someone else. 50/50 chance. :-P

Unless, of course, everyone chooses Red XIII's theme. :-P Then it's, like, a 7.9% chance.

Which actually reminds me. Are you only accepting main series character themes, or are non-main series (Tactics, Legends, Dissidia) accepted? Granted, the Dissidia themes are mostly the same as the originals, and I can't think of a character theme from any of the other non-main series... so maybe that's kind of moot.

Unless, of course, everyone chooses Red XIII's theme. :-P Then it's, like, a 7.9% chance.

Which actually reminds me. Are you only accepting main series character themes, or are non-main series (Tactics, Legends, Dissidia) accepted? Granted, the Dissidia themes are mostly the same as the originals, and I can't think of a character theme from any of the other non-main series... so maybe that's kind of moot.

Ramza, Delita, Ovelia, T.G.Cid, Marche, etc

Not to be a butt, but I think there's plenty to choose from in the main numbered Final Fantasies. Opening it up to Tactics and stuff would just introduce themes that nobody's ever heard of, part of the appeal to this is hearing themes we all know and love. Whether it's Cloud, or FF9 Moogles, Kuja or flippin... Rydia from FF4.

Not to be a butt, but I think there's plenty to choose from in the main numbered Final Fantasies. Opening it up to Tactics and stuff would just introduce themes that nobody's ever heard of, part of the appeal to this is hearing themes we all know and love. Whether it's Cloud, or FF9 Moogles, Kuja or flippin... Rydia from FF4.

But opening it up would introduce people to new songs as well.

Oh, I personally don't care much - all of the themes I'm most hoping to hear are definitely from numbered installments. :-D I was just curious because I didn't see it specified anywhere.

Ramza, Delita, Ovelia, T.G.Cid, Marche, etc

Did Ramza have his own theme? I must be forgetting something. Well, that's as good of an excuse as any to go replay Tactics from start to finish! :tomatoface:

But you're right, I'd totally forgotten about Delita/Ovelia/Cid. I forget about non-player characters sometimes. Good call. Actually, I'm going to retract my earlier statement, and say I wouldn't mind seeing Ovelia's Worries (her theme) get used.

Still, definitely Brandon's compo, and if he wants main series only, there's plenty of amazing character themes to choose from.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've just created the competition thread for this, so please make your character lists here: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?p=943683

This is probably not going to go as smoothly as it does when DarkeSword does it, but I am going to do my best, and I appreciate your patience and support.

KentaKurodani suggested I list some Character themes for people who may not be so familiar with FF, and it could also serve as a bit of guidance for what this compo is all about. So here are some characters, and their themes -- not ALL of them, but some of the main ones.

Check the first post in the compo thread for details!

Edited by Brandon Strader