Mega Man: The Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet 2013

DarkeSword

Nope, not at all. The games Capcom made in partnership with Disney have amazing soundtracks; many of them composed by the same composers that wrote music for the classic Mega Man games we all know and love. This is something I have been planning on doing since Magfest, all the way back in January. Some friends of mine have known about this for a very, very long time.

Alrighty then... definitely not what I was expecting, but this will certainly make things interesting. I guess I should've made my sigs with Disney castles instead of Wily castles :razz:

Beat Masters: I'm pretty slammed this week, do one of you want to take this round? Gario, Amphibious?

The Hard Men 2.0: Stone cold metal.

Drawing from your Taiwanese death metal days, eh chthonic?

EDIT: also, curve ball huh? If this were an actual baseball game, the ball would straight up do a 90 degree turn and fly out of the park before even reaching the batter. Not a fan of this week's theme, fortunately I have an excuse to not mix :P

Edited by Phonetic Hero

Alrighty then... definitely not what I was expecting, but this will certainly make things interesting. I guess I should've made my sigs with Disney castles instead of Wily castles :razz:

What if you re-did the sigs so that we all have disney princesses instead of robot masters? That would teach darke not to mess with us :tomatoface:

They bought Pixar. They bought Marvel. They bought Lucasfilm.

And now, the House of Mouse has gone ahead and bought out the nefarious Dr. Wily! That's right everyone, The Walt Disney Company now owns Wily's Castles! But what does that mean!? It means that instead of combining your Robot Master themes with themes from the Wily Castles, you'll be combining them from themes from all those old, classic Capcom-Disney games!

First up?

, a great song from a soundtrack by the legendary Yoko Shimomura!

Such an epic twist has not been since that film with Bill Paxton about the tornadoes, though it's name escapes me at the moment...

Just reading through the comments on the source track and there's a few people mentioning that it reminds them of a Mega Man theme :)

When I first saw that, I was worried everyone was going to ragequit. While many of these games do have great soundtracks, this is definitely not what we signed up for. I'm game, but I really was looking forward to the Wily sources. So much for studying up on the Wily themes....

Reference: http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Disney_games_by_Capcom and http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Capcom (neither list is complete)

I hope Duck Tales is round 3 of a block. Otherwise there may be fistfights.

Edit: Better list:

Adventures in the Magic Kingdom				NES
Aladdin Multi
Bonkers SNES, Sega Mega Drive/Genesis
Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers NES
Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers 2 NES
Darkwing Duck NES, Game Boy
Disney's Hide and Sneak Nintendo GameCube
Disney's Magical Mirror Starring Mickey Mouse Nintendo GameCube
Disney's Magical Quest SNES, Game Boy Advance
Disney's Magical Quest 2: The Great Circus Mystery SNES, Sega Mega Drive / Genesis, GBA
Disney's Magical Quest 3 SNES(Japan only), Game Boy Advance
DuckTales NES, Game Boy
DuckTales 2 NES, Game Boy
Goof Troop Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Magical Tetris Challenge Multi
Mickey Mousecapade NES
Mickey's Dangerous Chase Game Boy
TaleSpin Multi
The Little Mermaid NES, Game Boy
Who Framed Roger Rabbit Game Boy

Edited by MindWanderer

What if you re-did the sigs so that we all have disney princesses instead of robot masters? That would teach darke not to mess with us :tomatoface:

You seem to think that I have some kind of problem with Disney princesses. Clearly you have never actually hung out with me.

Most of CTCon weekend was comprised of OA and I singing "Part of Your World" from The Little Mermaid.

When I first saw that, I was worried everyone was going to ragequit. While many of these games do have great soundtracks, this is definitely not what we signed up for. I'm game, but I really was looking forward to the Wily sources. So much for studying up on the Wily themes....

Reference: http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Disney_games_by_Capcom and http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Capcom (neither list is complete)

I hope Duck Tales is round 3 of a block. Otherwise there may be fistfights.

I do want to apologize to Mr. L; he went through all the effort of compiling a YouTube playlist of castle themes, and I kind of had to play it off by saying "THANKS DUDE!!!" I actually felt bad when I saw that, but I needed to keep it a secret until we started.

Edited by DarkeSword

Honestly I'm pretty irritated. It wasn't exactly a twist so much as just straight misleading. I wouldn't mind as much if I liked the source pick better, so hopefully they look up from here... Though still, there are plenty of themes Mega Man related that haven't even been touched yet (which makes me wonder why the Gameboy picks are so taboo for these compos, if we're just gonna say "FUCK IT, DOESN'T MATTER IF IT'S MEGA MAN" anyway). Enker, Punk, Ballade, Bass, Dark Man... all great themes that haven't gotten much (if any) coverage

EDIT: oh also Hylian Lemon's taking this one

Edited by Phonetic Hero

All good here, DarkeSword! :)

Besides, the playlist'll be there for anyone who wants to listen to the Wily Castle themes whenever they want, so it's no loss at all. :)

This is a really cool twist, man, and I'm quite excited about this! :D

Awesome!

EDIT: Wow, the first source does indeed sound like a Mega Man theme.

Edited by Mr. L

Honestly I'm pretty irritated. It wasn't exactly a twist so much as just straight misleading. I wouldn't mind as much if I liked the source pick better, so hopefully they look up from here... Though still, there are plenty of themes Mega Man related that haven't even been touched yet (which makes me wonder why the Gameboy picks are so taboo for these compos). Enker, Punk, Ballade, Bass... all great themes that haven't gotten much (if any) coverage

EDIT: oh also Hylian Lemon's taking this one

Just wanna point out that nowhere in the description of the competition this year did I say anything about Wily Castle themes. I very specifically said "Gauntlet Themes" this year. :mrgreen:

Just wanna point out that nowhere in the description of the competition this year did I say anything about Wily Castle themes. I very specifically said "Gauntlet Themes" this year. :mrgreen:

Did you forget what you named the gauntlet? Hahahaha

Lol, "Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet" is even in bold in the "About" section, where you're pointing out that you said "Gauntlet Themes" instead of "Wily Castle Themes". Semantics shmemantics

Edited by Phonetic Hero

Yeah I don't want to be a party pooper and whatnot, but I gotta agree with MindWanderer and Phonetic Hero. I was really looking forward to remixing Wily themes and I really don't appreciate being misled. My time is pretty limited, so when I sign up for compos like this, I like knowing 100% what I'm getting myself into. I'm sure these soundtracks are great and all and it's still going to be fun, but ehh, I'm not as excited as I was before.

Yeah. Except the title. :razz:

Wat. /focuses eyes

ehhhh. HUH? Random.

I got really excited and thought I was looking at a Mickey Mousecapades Gauntlet, at first.

Now horribly depressed. What does it all mean. :puppyeyes:

edit: Luckily this sounds really par for the course as far as Mega Man music goes.

I quit

Edit: I mean I'm representing The Handsome Devils this week. But you're still going to get two Mega Man themes in there...sort of. c:

Edit edit: To be honest, though, right now I do feel a bit of the old "well, there go several future hours of my time that I could've spent remixing music that I actually cared about." I probably would've been fine with it if it had been announced from the beginning, but I can't say I appreciate being manipulated into joining a different competition.

Edited by Hylian Lemon

Edit edit: To be honest, though, right now I do feel a bit of the old "well, there go several future hours of my time that I could've spent remixing music that I actually cared about." I probably would've been fine with it if it had been announced from the beginning, but I can't say I appreciate being manipulated into joining a different competition.

Yeah, Ben, you pretty much summed up my thoughts. The big excitement/motivational draw for me to these compos is the nostalgia factor of the songs I'll be working on. I know all the music from Mega Man 1-10, I like all the music from Mega Man 1-10. I have no attachment to any of these other games / themes, so that partially saps my creative energy and desire to work on something :|

Well that was random.

I don't mind the bait and switch tactics too much but I certainly would've preferred to mix wily castle themes, specially since not every week will be duck tales or darkwing duck which are two disney games I found the music to be memorable, all the others I didn't care about too much.

It seems I'll be going first for my team so yeah.

I have no attachment to any of these other games / themes, so that partially saps my creative energy and desire to work on something :|
This. I'm very worried that even if everyone says they're OK with it, there will end up being a lot of no-shows because people either can't come up with anything for exactly this reason, or because people aren't sufficiently motivated to work on this instead of other things they might be doing. Voting will probably also have low turnout.

Agreeing with everybody saying that this is kinda unexpected and they would rather remix Wily Castle themes and so on and so forth.

But really I just hope that there won't be as low as a turnout as last time there was a mix of two franchises.

Also here's a midi that I hope is right: http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/nes/MKPIRATE.mid

Edited by NovaReaper