Mega Man: The Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet 2013

DarkeSword

alright, if you simply can't wait to hear some action, here's my track streaming on soundcloud:

http://soundcloud.com/bbriggsmusic/literally-metal-pirates-mega/

Dam, my song suck so much compared to you, I'm glad to let you have Metal Man when we where doing pick in the draft, your music is really awesome, here's mine https://soundcloud.com/silvernixsp/army-of-metools-silvernxsp

Tough love eh? Well in that case I am royally screwed for this round :)

Not really tough love. You should be able to figure these songs out by ear; they're not really that complex.

I didn't realize that people were actually using MIDIs for these competitions; I wish you guys wouldn't, actually. It's very important as an arranger to be able to listen to stuff and understand things like melody and chords just by listening.

I certainly hope that nobody is copy and pasting MIDI data from preexisting MIDI files. You should only be using those for reference if you are.

I certainly hope that nobody is copy and pasting MIDI data from preexisting MIDI files. You should only be using those for reference if you are.

I've copied and pasted pieces, and left it in a separate pattern used only as reference. Only for convenience. If that's against the rules, I didn't know. I should always do it by ear, but I'm terrible at it. I don't practice enough, and I know I need to.

I've copied and pasted pieces, and left it in a separate pattern used only as reference. Only for convenience. If that's against the rules, I didn't know. I should always do it by ear, but I'm terrible at it. I don't practice enough, and I know I need to.

Oh no, it's not against any rules. I'm just saying that, as a musician, you should really strive to sequence everything yourself if you can. These competitions are excellent opportunities to train your ear.

On a different topic: one thing I've been noticing from some of the more novice mixers in these competitions lately is when you guys use both sources but don't bother putting them in the same key. Some of the transitions I've been hearing have been pretty awkward.

Make sure you guys are making the effort to combine both sources into a cohesive piece of music; this more often than not involves determining a common tonality. If you don't feel like you know how to do that, or even what that means, ask your teammates, ask in the workshop, or ask here. This core of this competition is learning how to arrange music, moreso than learning production techniques. There's a certain degree of music theory that you should be picking up and utilizing as you continue to arrange two pieces of music together every week.

Good luck.