Mega Man: The Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet 2013

DarkeSword

Week 1 Reviews...thanks to everyone for the feedback so far. The drums definitely weren't my strong point this week; I was trying something very new and I probably could have done a lot better if I'd had more time to play around with them.

Bubbleman's Beach: I really like the writing in this, but I wasn't really hearing any integration of the 2 sources. Sample quality/humanization was a small issue, but it was mostly the percussion that I think needs to be stronger.

Gravity Bandits: Love the sax but it could have used a lot more humanization. There was also some muddiness, especially toward the end, and the Pirate Island source didn't mesh very well.

Space Pirate Attack: Cool arrangement with some interesting sounds. I really like how you incorporated the sources. The false ending is a little weird, but I do like the change up.

Literally Metal Pirates: Fantastic use of both sources...it's Ben Briggs so I was expecting a pretty solid arrangement. Some people seemed to dislike the emphasis on high mids/treble, but that really doesn't bother me.

The Magical Skull Land: Sources are used well. Soundscape is pretty thin and the synths could be more interesting though.

Get the Candle for Fireballs: Love the lyrics so much! The sources are integrated very well; It's hard to tell where one stops and the other begins.

Electric Dust Milliquivalent: Really cool arrangement. Strings and choir sounded really fake, and I think this could have been hid a little bit by reducing the reverb. 1:48 is awesome!

Space Plunder: I like the writing. Felt as though it could have been filled out a bit more with some additional synths and more expression. The change ups you did to Pirate Island are really nice but the source sounds rather out of place in the mix.

Spicy Rum, Warm Beach and Hot Booty: Definitely need to watch which key you're in. There are some good ideas here, but you need to work on fleshing them out and filling out the soundscape a lot more.

Captain Hook's Splash Fiction: Good stuff! The second half is a lot more interesting than the first. The steel drums sound really cool played along with the chippy stuff.

Jack Sparrow the Funky Pharaoh: Really great writing, I like the juxtaposition of the E. piano/piano and the instrumentation complements the song really well.

Shadedog the Beached Surfer Boss: As a Folk Metal fan, I like the arrangement a lot. Definitely not what I was expecting from the intro. Everything sounds very pushed back in the mix except for the synth and drums. I would have liked things to be more upfront and less muddy. The “real” instruments need a lot of work to sound convincing, although maybe they were supposed to sound like a keyboard.

You also hate the smiles on children's faces and puppies, don't you? :P

Not saying I hate the theme. It's definitely the most memorable one and it's not bad by any means. But it's on Ice Cap or Schala level to me.

Word on the street is you're really bad at DuckTales. Like, really, really bad.
Like, *seconds* away from world record time. y u no practice

FORGET YOU GUYS I QUIT

Agreed, people really should be keeping their tracks quiet until they are posted by Darke to keep things clean.

I disagree here, literally anything can sway votes, before or after the tracks are "public"

by that logic, posting remix reviews, posting about your track in the thread while you're making it ("my track is really sounding awesome so far", or "Team ___ is really bringing their A-game"), and inviting new people to listen and vote should all be against the rules. Certainly doesn't make sense to me.

that being said, I DON'T think that anyone should be asking their friends to vote for them. THAT is not cool and shouldn't be allowed imho

Edited by Benjamin Briggs

I disagree here, literally anything can sway votes, before or after the tracks are "public"

by that logic, posting remix reviews, posting about your track in the thread while you're making it ("my track is really sounding awesome so far", or "Team ___ is really bringing their A-game"), and inviting new people to listen and vote should all be against the rules. Certainly doesn't make sense to me.

Lol you misunderstand me completely Ben. I'm not saying any of that at all.

regardless, I see no reason why someone shouldn't be able to reveal all or part of their track early if they are so inclined

you believe that would possibly give an unfair advantage; I disagree.

Ben you proably need to read back on the previous posts. I didn't once say it gives an unfair advantage. Firstly, I was just agreeing with KT that it's probably not a good idea to post your tracks early because people can see what you're up to (for better or worse). I didnt say anything about it being for or agianst the rules, or that a rule should/shouldn't apply. Where are you getting this from? You made the arguments for/against it, not me bro.

Likely you're mad because you posted your mix first in this thread and thought that we were talking about you. Seriously we aren't referring to you at all and I apologise if you got that impression. Cool your jets bro. Win with grace.

Ben you proably need to read back on the previous posts. I didn't once say it gives an unfair advantage. Firstly, I was just agreeing with KT that it's probably not a good idea to post your tracks early because people can see what you're up to (for better or worse). I didnt say anything about it being for or agianst the rules, or that a rule should/shouldn't apply. Where are you getting this from? You made the arguments for/against it, not me bro.

Likely you're mad because you posted your mix first in this thread and thought that we were talking about you. Seriously we aren't referring to you at all and I apologise if you got that impression. Cool your jets bro. Win with grace.

oh no, I didn't take it personally or think you were talking about me at all. no worries there. perhaps you are misinterpreting my tone?

you said, "people really should be keeping their tracks quiet until they are posted by Darke to keep things clean."

I was simply disagreeing with the implications of that last bit, about keeping things clean, but obviously I misunderstood you somewhat

anyway, I promise I'm not upset with you or anyone, or even being defensive for any specific reason. I just wanted to weigh in on the matter because I don't see any issue with allowing people the freedom to do what they want with their music during the compo. people were talking about what should and shouldn't be done, and I decided to share my own viewpoint.

hopefully that clears things up, I really wasn't trying to be inflammatory I just wanted to make a point (however irrelevant it ended up being) :)

Edited by Benjamin Briggs

oh no, I didn't take it personally or think you were talking about me at all. no worries there. perhaps you are misinterpreting my tone?

you said, "people really should be keeping their tracks quiet until they are posted by Darke to keep things clean."

I was simply disagreeing with the implications of that last bit, about keeping things clean, but obviously I misunderstood you somewhat

anyway, I promise I'm not upset with you or anyone, or even being defensive for any specific reason. I just wanted to weigh in on the matter because I don't see any issue with allowing people the freedom to do what they want with their music during the compo

hopefully that clears things up, I really wasn't trying to be inflammatory I just wanted to make a point (however irrelevant it ended up being) :)

No I completely understand Ben, is no problem, and I can see where you're coming from. My apologies to you. I thought you were getting angry, which is my misinterpretation. Everything's kewl.

The main disadvantage of posting your mix early that I can think of is that someone might try to steal your ideas. (Not that many would be able to replicate them in such a short time frame).

Edited by Jivemaster

Hey Shariq, I just had a process improvement question/thought... have you ever considered using Google Forms as a means of voting and vote tallying for these compos? I just started using them recently for other stuff, and they're really handy.

You could just have 3 questions "Choose #X pick"... and then have drop-downs with each of the song names for the 3 picks. To keep it limited to the forums and discourage ballot stuffing, you could just have 2 required opening questions like "OCR Forum Name" and then "OCR Forum User Link" (i.e., http://ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=28286), that way you know the votes are legit. I suppose you'd also need a "Team Name" fill-in too (for the purposes of the compo). The beauty of this though is you can have the Google Form save everything to a Google spreadsheet that would already be formatted correctly, so vote tallying would be a breeze. You could post a link to the spreadsheet in the OP if you wanted to keep voting results public like the social group. You can even enable participants to change their votes with the "edit responses" option too.

But yeah, nothing wrong with the current voting method at all, I just was thinking of this this morning for some reason, and how it could be a big timesaver for admin stuff. Back to making my mix now ;-)