Mega Man: The Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet 2013

DarkeSword

I saw a few more reviews come through so i thought I would post mine at the last second.

Spicy Rum, Warm Beach: Not off to a great start but midway through things seemed to finally come together. Then it repeated... Very abrupt ending as well. It should take at least an entire phrase to set up an ending properly. If you go back 4/8 measures and think about how you can wind things down so the listener realizes it's coming to an end it should help.

Doesn't have much of a tonal center. Make sure you know your mantras for staying in key(whole whole half whole whole whole

half for starters) or just go for all white keys on the piano roll.

Space Plunder:

Off to a good start but then the leads hit and they sound like they are fighting for attention. Make a list of the sounds you want the listener to hear and in what order and build it sort of like a pyramid. The only other beefage I have is that there isn't enough material to warrant a 5:17 minute mix. A little closer to three minutes would have worked much better in my opinion.

Electric Dust Pirate:

Very nice intro and a very deep soundscape. The faux-rhythm guitar wubs sounded kinda cool at first but it really dominates

the mix in a bad way. Once it went away I could hear everything clearly again and honestly i was pretty glad it went.

Everything else though sounds great.

Get the Candle for Fireballs:

ow, my virgin ears...

Magical Skull Land:

00:25 really needs some kind of significant change in the groove. The beginning doesn't really move anywhere.

The drop at 00:50 really isn't anywhere near drastic enough to work. It would be a great spot to open up on but getting there is what really needs the work. That rhythmic synth gave me a nostalgic trip for PSII's battle music though.

Literally Metal Pirates:

Some really really good production but that wah'd synth on the outside really starts driving me nuts about midway through.

Can't say much about it because I've heard they are difficult to make and alot of people really like it but, yeah. No. The chiptune sounds are great and the rest of it is alot of fun to listen to.

Space Pirate Attack:

That bass at the start cuts out really awkwardly at first but once it got going I really liked the groove.

Gravity Bandits:

Fantastic start. Everything sounds like it gets set up really nicely but then when it gets going it becomes confusing on

what to listen to. Sounds a little over reverbed too. Otherwise awesome.

Bubbleman's Beach

One of the several mixes that made voting a nightmare. Only beefage (how many f's in beefage?) is that I didn't recognize the sources very easily.

Shadedog The Beached Surfer Boss:

Not nearly loud enough and that title sucks. Were you using that Disney theme as a punching bag or something? Darke's not going to like that. NEXT!!

Jack Sparrow and the Funky Pharoah:

A very sweet two minutes. Really, I would have been fine with this going on all day.

Captain Hooks Splash Fiction:

Listening to this made me realize just how much I half assed my own hand percussion. I mean, I knew I half assed it, but now

I have perspective. Awesome combination of VG and Caribbean inspired sounds.

Bizarre Rituals in the Kingdom of Witchcraft:

Interesting mood. I think the guitar needs to back off a bit when the flute plays. Staying static through the entire song keeps it from being as interesting as it could be. The organ could have been cut further above the guitar as well me thinks.

If you were going for a rough classic rock sound then mission accomplished.

Nothing personal intended just adding my two cents to the pot. Love all you guys that do this but if anyone's raw about anything then feel free to show up at MAGfest and i'll whomp ya.

At Dead or Alive or something. But not Street Fighter, at least not a recent one. :)

Edited by Garpocalypse

There are no hard rules against revealing your track early; I can't stop someone from doing a live-stream or anything. I do, however, think it's best to keep your mix under wraps until the music is all posted together.

Hey Shariq, I just had a process improvement question/thought... have you ever considered using Google Forms as a means of voting and vote tallying for these compos? I just started using them recently for other stuff, and they're really handy.

You could just have 3 questions "Choose #X pick"... and then have drop-downs with each of the song names for the 3 picks. To keep it limited to the forums and discourage ballot stuffing, you could just have 2 required opening questions like "OCR Forum Name" and then "OCR Forum User Link" (i.e., http://ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=28286), that way you know the votes are legit. I suppose you'd also need a "Team Name" fill-in too (for the purposes of the compo). The beauty of this though is you can have the Google Form save everything to a Google spreadsheet that would already be formatted correctly, so vote tallying would be a breeze. You could post a link to the spreadsheet in the OP if you wanted to keep voting results public like the social group. You can even enable participants to change their votes with the "edit responses" option too.

But yeah, nothing wrong with the current voting method at all, I just was thinking of this this morning for some reason, and how it could be a big timesaver for admin stuff. Back to making my mix now ;-)

I know all about Google Forms, but the ONLY way to guarantee that votes are legit are by keeping them on the forums. Someone could very easily dig up some old forum usernames of inactive people and ballot stuff that way. Given the things that have happened in the past with some competitions, I'm not interested in even dealing with the possibility of that. Plus I want people to sign up for the forums and get involved at OCR.

I know all about Google Forms, but the ONLY way to guarantee that votes are legit are by keeping them on the forums. Someone could very easily dig up some old forum usernames of inactive people and ballot stuff that way. Given the things that have happened in the past with some competitions, I'm not interested in even dealing with the possibility of that. Plus I want people to sign up for the forums and get involved at OCR.

Yeah, that makes sense. I suppose you'd know if you saw votes from a bunch of people that hadn't been signed in for years, but then that involves more leg work on the back-end which kind of defeats the purpose.

Plus there's always the possibility that lurkers who haven't actively posted for years do in fact pop up just to vote on this. With Google Forms they'd have to post in the thread saying it's legitimate.

Case in point:

This yearly MM competition has a bad (read: good) habit of making me peek in at this forum. Why can't it just let me be and hide in obscurity?

Also.. WHO ARE YOU?

Hey guys make sure when you're submitting your tracks, you get your team name right.

It's "The Gobots" and "The Robot Museum," not just "Gobots" and "Robot Museum."

Check against the scoreboard.

Voting for round 1 is closed votes are tallied. Scores will be publicized and points will be awarded shortly.

Edited by DarkeSword

This yearly MM competition has a bad (read: good) habit of making me peek in at this forum. Why can't it just let me be and hide in obscurity?

Hey, join in with the fun next year :) MindWanderer usually offers up training competitions that are good practice. I was a lurker once. Heck I still am ;) We are all always improving and learning new things :)

Plus there's always the possibility that lurkers who haven't actively posted for years do in fact pop up just to vote on this. With Google Forms they'd have to post in the thread saying it's legitimate.

I can play devil's advocate with this lol.

Who's to stop people from just creating email addresses on other sites and creating new profiles on OCR using those addresses? I mean truthfully there is no way to prevent cheating in the voting field. The same problems will crop up and people will forget to vote / run out of time/ or invite X of their friends to vote for Y's track. Nothing will change we should just accept it for what it is. It's not like our prize is $1000 to each member of the team that ends up with the most votes.

PS: I dare people to quote me from the words "Our" through the words "Votes". Instigation... mwaahaahaa!!!

I can play devil's advocate with this lol.

Who's to stop people from just creating email addresses on other sites and creating new profiles on OCR using those addresses?

Actually, with vBulletin, poster IP addresses are logged, so unless you are very careful about only using one ID at home, one at work/school, etc. you will probably get caught, and even then it won't get you very far. I was a moderator on a different forum at one point, and yeah, folks got banned for this.

Inviting friends to vote happens, but yeah, since there are no prizes, Wheaton's Law is what really applies here.

So, we're shooting for at least 7th place in order to get more than one point. That's reasonable, you have to beat half the other teams. Although, more than half the teams have some really kickass members, so even 7th place ain't easy.

Actually, with vBulletin, poster IP addresses are logged, so unless you are very careful about only using one ID at home, one at work/school, etc. you will probably get caught, and even then it won't get you very far.

So it can be done if you are careful..... :) Mac spoofing and free wi-fi at random McDonalds here we come