Mega Man: The Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet 2013

DarkeSword

Hey so my PM sending is having an issue. I'm not getting an error, but when I send it goes straight to the email sent folder, except it shows that no email was ever sent.

Any thoughts?

That's bizarre... maybe Shariq can confirm if he got it or not? I suppose worst case scenario you could see if one of your teammates could send the PM if yours isn't working.

You make good points. What does everyone else think?

EDIT: You know what? I DON'T GIVE A SHIT WHAT YOU GUYS THINK. I'M JUST GONNA MAKE A DECISION ON MY OWN!!!!! :-x :-x :-x

I'm going to adjust the rules for this competition and say that session musicians/performers are allowed. If you have the resources to make that kind of thing happen, then you should be able to utilize those resources.

Please keep in mind that musicians and performers should not be involved in the arrangement of your track. As always, I obviously have no way of enforcing this, so I'm asking you to be on your honor.

I agree with this. For the record, do NOT ask me to perform piano solos for the purpose of these competitions, because I compose music when I play the piano, even if I'm playing the melody that was intended. I'd say the same goes for a rhythm guitar section; if you're simply giving the guitarist a chord chart, the guitarist is writing the music, NOT the arranger.

Man. Once the next block rolls around, I really need to figure out a way to teach some of you guys about identifying the keys of the songs you're remixing and putting both tracks in the same key for your remix. Also need to get some of you guys past just doing two separate remixes and tacking them together; remember, the goal is to make one cohesive song. Someone unfamiliar with the sources should not really be able to tell that you remixed two piece of music together.

I want this year's WCRG to be a lot more educational. Maybe a bunch of us (noobs and vets alike) can all sit down in a Google Hangout during round 4 and talk about arrangement techniques, sort of a Wily Castle Master Class. Interested?

Man. Once the next block rolls around, I really need to figure out a way to teach some of you guys about identifying the keys of the songs you're remixing and putting both tracks in the same key for your remix. Also need to get some of you guys past just doing two separate remixes and tacking them together; remember, the goal is to make one cohesive song. Someone unfamiliar with the sources should not really be able to tell that you remixed two piece of music together.

I want this year's WCRG to be a lot more educational. Maybe a bunch of us (noobs and vets alike) can all sit down in a Google Hangout during round 4 and talk about arrangement techniques, sort of a Wily Castle Master Class. Interested?

To be fair Darke, some of these keys from capcom games are pretty damn confusing.

EDIT: Nevermind

Also yes, I'm down

I'd be interested.

To be fair, thinking in keys can sometimes be limiting and it's not always necessary to stay strictly in one key, however if you don't know the theory behind it all you should probably learn how to compose/arrange in one key before getting more creative.

The Story So Far...

The Robot Masters have fought through the jungles of Pirate Island and have scaled Moliarty's Tower. Now, at the very top, in the control room, they've found that the nefarious Dr. Wily, fed up with Disney's machinations, has used the rocketship hidden at the jungle tower to escape the Earth. The doctor is searching for something—or someone—to help him take his castles back!

Hurry, Robot Masters! He's getting away! After him!

TO THE MOOOOOOOON!

ROFL. I must say I am genuinely excited to see how things develop now, especially considering that Blocks 2 and 3 seem like they are going to have different story 'themes'. I gotta admit, as much as I may have complained when this was first announced, I am having a fun time with it now. So thanks. And I, for one, am excited to hear some Moon mixes :razz:

And yeah, depending on the night of the week and what else I have going on, I'd be down for the Google Hangout thing.

I'm going to adjust the rules for this competition and say that session musicians/performers are allowed. If you have the resources to make that kind of thing happen, then you should be able to utilize those resources.

Please keep in mind that musicians and performers should not be involved in the arrangement of your track. As always, I obviously have no way of enforcing this, so I'm asking you to be on your honor.

You mean I had to sing my own falsetto for nothing?

I may or may not able to make it, but I'm definitely interested. Will someone keep a log of what was said?

I'd be interested.

To be fair, thinking in keys can sometimes be limiting and it's not always necessary to stay strictly in one key, however if you don't know the theory behind it all you should probably learn how to compose/arrange in one key before getting more creative.

Yeah. I mean I understand the value of key changes in composition at that level, but what I'm seeing from some of the novice remixes is a lack of understanding of the very basics of music theory that could be helping them make a more cohesive arrangement.

I'm trying to be more proactive in this competition in helping people to learn about this stuff. The competitions I run are all primarily arrangement/composition competitions and I think that people could be learning a lot from participating.

Here's my breakdown:

0:00-0:14 - Intro to Darkwing Duck, tri bass has Ground Man bass source in the first 4 beats of the pattern

0:14-0:48 - Transition into GM melody in the piano, harmonies/bass play DD in the last 4 beats of the pattern

0:48-0:50 - Variation on 0:28 in the DD source

0:50-0:59 - Second section of DD

0:59-1:15 - Pattern is mainly the second section of DD but finishes out with a variation of the GM melody in each phrase

1:15-1:31 - B section of GM

1:31-2:12 - This is the most complex section source-wise. 12.5 pulse (the lower chip pluck) is playing GM bass, 25 pulse (higher pluck) is playing beginning of DD, piano/triangle layer is playing GM melody

2:12-2:16 - transition plays a variation of the first 2 bars of the GM B section

2:16-2:36 - Egredious soloing (i think i stuck a DD intro interp in there) backed by the GM B interp from before

2:36-3:07 - Same source usage as the 1:31 section

3:07 - THATS ALL FOLKS

Round 2's remixes are up. Remember guys, voting ends on Saturday at 6PM EDT. Yesterday's voting extension was a one-time thing. Don't count on it happening again.

Btw, I still don't see where this is written in the rules...maybe I'm completely missing it, but I can kind of understand why people thought they had an extra day last week.

I've created a #wcrg IRC channel on esper.net. Feel free to join and use it as a base for listening parties, remix discussion, etc.

Also, I forget how this works...could someone explain how to access it?

Alright, here's my source breakdown for those who are listening to my entry:

0:00 - 0:11 = Darkwing Duck (0:41.1 - 0:44) [Near loop point of source]

0:11 - 0:16 = Junk Man (0:00 - 0:07)

0:16 - 0:21 = Darkwing Duck (0:41.1 - 0:44) [Near loop point of source] and Junk Man (0:00 - 0:07)

0:21 - 0:28 = Darkwing Duck (0:00 - 0:05.4)

0:28 - 0:32 = Junk Man (0:07 - 0:12) and Darkwing Duck (0:02.8 - 0:03.8)

0:32 - 0:41.8 = Junk Man (0:22.4 - 0:31.4)

0:41.8 - 0:47.4 = Darkwing Duck (0:15 - 0:16.8)

0:47.4 - 1:18.4 = Darkwing Duck (0:16.8 - 0:29.9)

1:18.4 - 1:23.2 = Junk Man (0:00 - 0:07)

1:23.2 - 1:28 = Darkwing Duck (0:41.1 - 0:44) [Near loop point of source] and Junk Man (0:00 - 0:07)

1:28 - 1:39.6 = Darkwing Duck (0:29.9 - 0:41.1)

1:39.6 - 1:43.5 = Junk Man (0:48 - 0:53.2)

1:43.5 - 1:47.4 = Darkwing Duck (0:29.9 - 0:41.1)

1:47.4 - 1:51.3 = Junk Man (0:42.9 - 0:48)

1:51.3 - 1:55.2 = Darkwing Duck (0:29.9 - 0:41.1)

1:55.2 - 1:59 = Junk Man (0:48 - 0:53.2)

1:59 - 2:08.7 = Junk Man (0:22.4 - 0:31.4)

2:08.7 - 2:14.5 = Darkwing Duck (0:15 - 0:16.8)

2:14.5 - 2:30 = Darkwing Duck (0:16.8 - 0:29.9)

2:30 - 2:46.4 = Darkwing Duck (0:41.1 - 0:44) [Near loop point of source]