Mega Man: The Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet 2013

DarkeSword

Thanks for the kind words and giving me your justifiable first place vote oh yes, OH YES :tomatoface:

As for the volume drop-off, I did it on purpose with automation. I thought the volume on the vocals by themselves was too loud. It might have just been my headphones auto-correcting the difference in volume. I'll take another look at it before I sub to OCR.

This is something I noticed too, but I thought it was an intentional attempt to mimic the lyrics (falling and dying). I thought it was pretty cool actually :).

This is something I noticed too, but I thought it was an intentional attempt to mimic the lyrics (falling and dying). I thought it was pretty cool actually :).
Yeah, I could tell it was intentional, but it did sound like it was done in production rather than by the singer actually dropping his voice--which was indeed the case. It would sound fine if you re-recorded that one line actually singing more quietly.

Yeah, I could tell it was intentional, but it did sound like it was done in production rather than by the singer actually dropping his voice--which was indeed the case. It would sound fine if you re-recorded that one line actually singing more quietly.

Exactly my thoughts as well.

shadow24 - soundscape is interesting and perhaps even eccentric, which is pretty neat at times. my main problem with this mix is that it seems to wander around. Try to fit clear melodies and establish an architecture to the song arrangement.

Thanks! I'm slowly moving from tinnitus to a decent mix :) I have no style so maybe that is why it is so eccentric. At the moment I'm dabbling in some basic mastering techniques. Another major fallacy was the perceived loudness of the track. Structure has always been an issue for me. That and time limits. Thanks again for the critique.

It's called "ear fatigue." That's why it's good to take breaks instead of working non-stop for a long long time, if you can help it. It also gives your creativity muscles a good rest.

Speaking of which...it's time to take a break from my SWEET ASS REMIX and come back to it tomorrow as an OKAY REMIX BUT SERIOUSLY WHAT WAS I THINKING IN THAT ONE PART.

If we use multiple Stardroids, do we put them all in the filename? Like (Pharaoh Man, Naptune, and Terra)? Or something like (Pharaoh Man and The Stardroids)? Just wondering since I don't really see that anywhere in the first post, maybe I'm blind.

Yea, I've been wondering about this too. I'm using all 10 themes, so I'm wondering if I should list them all or just put "The Stardroids", or "all", or something else.

Since you need more reviews, you're getting an uninformed, non-musician review:

Not the most difficult round to pick favorites for, but the quality and enjoyability of the mixes in this batch are arguably the best so far and reminded me why I loved the 2011 run of this compo so much. I'm gonna keep these short and mostly positive, because I'm busy working on other artwork for OCR.

Bees - If you took out the Hornet Man part, you'd have a beautiful Moon remaster.

Flush the Sky - Feels like it lacks direction and an overall mood, but the orchestration sounds very natural. Obviously laid some good elements down and I'm guessing with more time, your inspiration would have caught up to you.

Rockin' Sockin' Cinder Blood - Gorgeous piano performance in the middle. All three parts were well done, but I wish there had been some unifying thread throughout.

This Place Blows - ties with 'The Moon is Dumb' for best title since Pete's 'I Oni Wanted To Play Wif Ryu' in the WWRR compo. Also, you're a trooper.

Going Commando - Fun stuff. Honestly didn't think Commando and Moon were gonna work out together, but I was clearly wrong.

Stone Cold Rock - had some doubts about this one at first because of the sudden change in mood around 2:20 but then I just imagined Huey, Dewey and Louie leaping in to help Stone Man out and then everything was amazing.

Lunar Storm - Definitely one of the best arrangements with no jarring transitions between Tornado and Moon. Wish it could have had a little more energy in the first half, but otherwise, an interesting fun time!

Moowa - beautiful stark opening fitting for both sources. Was expecting some buildup after the first minute but it never went there, dangit.

Celestial Shimmer - Honestly had a hard time picking out the sources except maybe the Moon stuff at the end, but it has a certain quiet charm reminiscent of a Cafe SQ track.

Precious Precious - Took a second listen to hear the Jewel but once I caught it, thought it brilliant, especially considering how disparate the sources are. Voted it first, because it seemed to have the most distinct development and consistent character.

Ganymede Cactus - 2:17. Nice job - a key change that makes sense.

Lunar Aquaduck - I loved the Neil stuff, but I honestly didn't care for the Aqua Man bit before the 0:30 point. I felt like everything past that could have crept in a little sooner during the tail end of his speech. Otherwise, this is super fun and such a clever arrangement. I'm sure I'll be playing this over and over again long after this compo is over.

Ducksickles in Space - You probably already know I thought this was pretty sexy.

Solar Man Needs to Grow Up - Great performance but would have been even better if the Solar Man source could have been tweaked to fit the hopeful mood of the Moon theme.

Edited by rnn

QFT

You fuckers need to post more reviews :-P

Haha, I meant it more in the sense that voting in itself is a form of feedback, and that Brandon's reasons for not voting were dumb because it's not about the person voting, it's about the people you're voting for (or not voting for)

But I agree, more reviews I'd be very ok with. Thanks for getting in there, rnn

Also lol, forgot about that WWRR track