Mega Man: The Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet 2013

DarkeSword

Thanks for the review, therex! :D

As for the melody, I see what you're saying there. Probably volume issues (had it a bit low) and overzealous EQ'ing (after reading ecto's post) on my part sealed the deal on that.

Gotta work on that for my next entry!

Nothing much to say on that middle part except 'sorry, I'm working on it, man!' :(

Glad you liked the pads (the beginning two sounded weird and cool together, I had to use them :P) and the kick. :)

Overall, I enjoyed making this, despite the flaws.

Except for the drums, the piano and one synth, it's all Sytrus. :)

On another note, stellar entries this week, everyone!

Wow!

Edited by Mr. L

Reviews:

Tandocca Scale

Zerothemaster: The first pad's envelope needed a higher release to blend better, and the bell patch had too much reverb and delay. Nice arpeggiating reso backup. The 1:12 low pass filter automation was kind of out of place. Overall, I feel like you didn't have enough time to do much, as you used around 4 or 5 instruments: the pad, the reso backup, the saw lead, the bells, and the drums. Still, good job.

Static Shock

Cash: Nice evolving intro. Preferentially, the reso arp at 0:14 would have worked better with a legato filter LFO rather than a retrigger filter envelope. 0:55 seems like an awkward transition. Cohesive sounds overall, but some of it was a bit resonant. Good effort.

Michael Jackson's Magic Space Dust

Jason Covenant: Obvious Billie Jean inspiration. Staccato strings were actually a little mechanical. The EP notes seem repetitive for that first section before 0:46. The first snare actually seems to be too strong for this. It feels stronger than the kick. Nice guitar with Will. The structure seems to be more familiar as you go on, which is a sign of repetition. Good job overall on the replications.

Haze

Mr. L: There's an unusually stark imbalance in the frequencies. I can hear the kick best, followed by the bass, then the piano arp, followed by the lead. Nice pads. You had some nice, spacey filters.

Top to Bottom

Jivemaster: Hm... sounds like the first bass fails at the lower notes. Nice

or
influence on the vocals. Muddy at the 0:49 hit and the 0:54 vocoder effect and other instances of the vocoder. I made the 1:44 FM bitcrushed tremolo sweep before! Cool sound bro. =D Good clarity on the normal vocals. 3:44 vocal was clear. Nice distorted tones overall.

Bit Shifted

Ben Briggs: Aw man... I heard a bit of clipping at 0:08! Oh well. Nice interpretations on the chiptune stuff. The EP actually worked, though having to add "vibrato" on it (the EP version of auto pan) makes it hard to follow. Nice major modulation at 2:41. I was waiting for some real harmony for a while, as it was mainly just arp polyphony for a good portion of this. If you sub to OCR, please write an ending and fix the clipping. ;)

Foreigner

KingTiger: Nice voice. I think I hear a little too much chorus on it, though. The kick is pretty snappy. I just wish the snare was louder so the kick doesn't "seem" so weak, because it really isn't weak. Timing on the voice is actually pretty good; not very many off-tempo moments.

Eye of the Storm

shadow24: Yeah, that wobble is off-sync like you know. The lead is a little scattershot. I can tell you really tried though. No harm in trying stuff. Good job.

Imhotep Step

Amphibious: Nice usage of dBlue Glitch. Tapestop was actually used well. The FM8 EP was a great choice of timbre. Some white noise filter sweeps like at 1:36 were a bit too resonant at the top of the sweep.

Spinesharks

Hakstock: Timbres overall were great. Very very slight overcompression, resulting in the snare being buried much of the time. Other than that, great job!

Planetary Ripples

Hylian Lemon: Nice soundscape. I liked the sine-like arp and the double bass(?). Some chiptune stuff was a little dry, IMO, like at 2:16, but other than that, it sound well-modulated. Just a few notes were awkward with the slightly slow attack in the 2:16 section.

There is no Gravity on Mercury

Jameson Sutton: Action feel is nice. The bass sounds like the one from the Oldskool Demon OC ReMix. :P Production is OK, but the balance is off overall. Note rhythms seem to be keyboarded in. Nice modulations here and there.

Ancient Starlight

Kuolema: Hm... nice Chrono Cross-esque atmosphere. Some of the instruments fell behind the beat though, like the left-panned strings and the lead flute. Sometimes you blew the flute too hard and got an Overblow effect (squeakiness). Playful ending. :D

Edited by timaeus222

Haze

Mr. L: There's an unusually stark imbalance in the frequencies. I can hear the kick best, followed by the bass, then the piano arp, followed by the lead. Nice pads. You had some nice, spacey filters.

So everything's reversed except the kick. Dang. :(

Glad you liked the pads, and I'm glad you like the filters - I really wanted to try out phasing here, since it went with the general idea / soundscape I had in mind! :)

Thanks for the review, timaeus!

Just got my votes in, and it just keeps getting harder and harder. Lots of amazingly creative stuff, and lots of mixes I would have loved to rank, but I gotta pick just 3....

I want to give Zerothemaster a special shout-out, though. You have improved so amazingly much over the last year you've spent at this, and your persistence is really starting to pay off. If I'd heard Tandocca Scale even 6 months ago I wouldn't have believed you'd written it (though it does still have some signature Ztm quirks). Keep improving at this pace and you'll be one of the best around in another year!

Bit Shifted

Ben Briggs: Aw man... I heard a bit of clipping at 0:08!

I can assure you there is no actual clipping in my track. I know this because I used a limiter, and the most basic function of a limiter is preventing clipping. Any distortion you hear is likely just a by-product of the bitrate at which Darke rendered the mp3s.

I can assure you there is no actual clipping in my track. I know this because I used a limiter, and the most basic function of a limiter is preventing clipping. Any distortion you hear is likely just a by-product of the bitrate at which Darke rendered the mp3s.

There's no clipping at :08. There is, however, some heavy bitcrushing going on at that spot that does sound like clipping. But it's not.

Also, you can still have clipping with a limiter, but you will almost never get it from total peak volume. (Don't forget about runaway freq peaks.)

There's no clipping at :08. There is, however, some heavy bitcrushing going on at that spot that does sound like clipping. But it's not.

Also, you can still have clipping with a limiter, but you will almost never get it from total peak volume. (Don't forget about runaway freq peaks.)

Yeah, I guess that's what I heard. It may just have sounded like it was clipping because the sample rate reduction was a bit too intense. Besides, it's not that big a deal that I was wrong. So what?

Edited by timaeus222