Mega Man: The Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet 2013

DarkeSword

Winning takes more than skill though. Time and effort are also needed. Here's to hoping that everyone can get a mix in this week.

Also, I have another question. Can we use multiple ally theme's? Some people like Jason like using all the themes for kicks and personal challenge. Can we not use multiples because of this reuse requirement?

Only one ally theme per week. There is no "use as many sources as you want" option in this block. One Robot Master theme, one Ally theme, one Gauntlet theme.

i used x6 , but theres barely any flame man in there. im proud of the first minute, but after that it got kindof ugly. However, i learned more about how changing a songs key works. im still a bit confused by it, but i know i cant avoid learning how to do it anymore.

edit: oops, topic change. I should probably refresh my page before posting things. topics change quick in this thread

Shit, sorry that I forgot about reviews and voting; i'll post some reviews for both rounds soon

EDIT:

Silvernix: Soundscape is bare, but has elements of good structure that i like. Bass and drum pattern gets repetitive. Switch up into heat man was pretty neat. Some note issues in the later half.

Trism: hats are a little hot, you might wanna tone down the higher frequencies. Guitar and strings need much more humanization to make things more dynamic. Arrangement has energy, slow changeup helps keep things interesting.

GLL: Neat instrumentation here. Vocals give me an old school eurodance vibe that i dig. nice instrumental breakdowns between lyrics keep things interesting.

Zach: Intro is nice, but doesn't really set up the rest of the song well. soundscape is bare. sounds unfinished.

Sir_NutS: Nice synth atmosphere as always. Lyrics are well written. I dig the Splash woman usage in here.

erectojimmy: Into builds well into a high energy piece. Dig the mmx guitars and the ridiculous riffage. Wish the whole track was a tad louder, but I can turn up my volume knob to fix that, so it's not really an issue anyway.

wildfire: nice intro, i always dig delayed pianer. Like I said before, i'm not really a trance guy, but you always seem to change things up to keep it interesting. tempo change works well. there seems like an odd harmony happening at like 2:50. Not sure if i like the skipping on the outro.

Cosmic Sounds: Nice orchestration. drums have some weird accents that i don't dig a times. wish the climaxes were a bit more energetic, but i'm not quite sure how to fix that, sorry.

Gar: cool intro that maybe lingers a bit longer than i wanted. things hit a solid groove. piano sounds a bit weird eq wise at the part around 1:30. Wish there were some higher energy points or something to change up the flow a bit.

Gario: High energy right off the bat. everything sounds well made. that chip lead eats my lunch and i fucking love it. dirty bass is dirty. Things change up to a more classic chip texture to keep things intreresting. I <3 it pls give me ur skillz bby kfanx

drumj8: nice almost Latin groove here. soundscape is a bit bare. I'm a sucker for piano, and i love those parts. lead synth seems a bit vanilla. Drums are a bit weak and need more punch too.

Phonetic Poophole: Nice Metroid Prime atmosphere in the beginning. Your specialty glitches work well as always. soundscape is a bit bare but you made this in like half a day so great jarb homestar

Here's the lyrics to Killer Beets. I did all the vocals aside from the amazing solar man and strike man verses(which were Tuberz and Kuolema):

REFRAIN

Crowned , with a signature

Sound , bringin enemies

Down , until wily is

Found, and bound

Ground man, he don't mess

Around man, - gonna take Disney

Down man and give Wily a

pound-in, he's

Ground man

VERSE 1

GROUND MAN

The stor-y starts with a corporate decision

Lord Wily and Disney in a gross acquisition

I thought wily was evil, but now he seems second rate

When put in perspective of this business magnate

"Mega Man we're in trouble" the people are crying

But it seems the blue bomber is just prone to dying

He'll need some help, to turn things around

Looks like Rockman is in need of some Ground.

SOLAR MAN

Yo, I'm Solar Man and I've got a Solar Plan to kick the living shit outta Mega Man,

But hell the Doctor screwed us all around and now he's gotta answer to the solar, strike and ground.

I've been charging up since the moon and hell I gotta say that was a rockin' tune but still,

I'm gonna shoot my solar burst and you can bet your fuckin' ass it's gonna really fuckin' hurt.

VERSE 2

STRIKE MAN

Get your hands off my balls or get ready to scream

I hit ya so fast that you'll be down on your knees

Before you can say "please stop what you're doing to me

Mr Strike I thought you'd never be a killin' for free"

But now I got ya where I want and my arm is steady

There's a hundred yards between us but you'd better be ready

Cause it'll only take a hundredth of a second to end ya

When I spit these rhymes in your direction

GROUND MAN

Rollin up on the beach, adrenaline in a rush

We were chasin dr wily through the thick jungle brush

Then we went skyward, up moliary's tower,

The climb was tough, but we had Groundpowuh

Suddenly we were cosmic, the chase took to space

Things came to a head at Wily's moon base

We had the man cornered when he clenched his fist

And revealed his rather planetary twist

BRIDGE:

Stardroids appeared, we thought we were sunk

But it didn't take long to turn them to junk

well who's this little yellow punk?

VERSE 3

ENKER

Not punk, but Enker mate

and my rhymes are comin at cha at a dizzyin rate

I'm a mega man killer but ill guess you'll do

cuz i'll stop you in a flash like i'm mega man 2

GROUND MAN:

Stop me? HAH. You must be delirious

but yer not backin down so it's time to get serious

wily's the big fish, you're just a small fry

but enough talk, it's time to die.

Edited by Ethan Rex

Review time!

• Not Finished: Obviously not finished, but regardless, please watch those keys! Nitro and Zero aren't in the same one. I'm still training my ear for this stuff, but it sounds like they're just one semitone off from each other. There are some nice ideas for intermixing the two themes here, though.
  • Sins of Our Fathers: I was hoping you'd repeat your round 3 style, now that I don't have to feel upstaged about it! Yeah, this screams MGS. Maybe a little bit too much so--not just the style but in some places the exact same transitions are used as in the main themes of MGS3. Sounds just a tad less polished than your last entry--a little more mechanical, a little weaker sound quality, one or two off-key chords, ending cuts out slightly abruptly. But these are minor nitpicks on an overall amazing piece. I do have one major concern: I can't pick out Concrete Man. The three Zero themes are plain, but I've listened to this piece about 10 times now, and Concrete Man several times to refresh my memory as to how it goes, and I can't find it.
  • Breathless: Country music and nasal congestion is a bad combination. As you say, it's a little fuzzy and hard to pick out the lyrics. Compression would help, but enunciation could be better, too. Otherwise, it's a simple and elegant piece. Simple verse-chorus-bridge lyrical structure lends itself perfectly to this kind of compo.
  • My Choice: Not much to say about this one. Strader does what Strader does, no surprises here. I think your voice is actually better suited for the more growly sort of thing you did last time. Certainly no complaints about production or source usage, but the arrangement is a little vanilla.
  • Crystal Cipher: I absolutely love the justaposition of the high-reverb wood blocks and digi-tribal drums with the synth bass. Incredibly effective. You've come a long way since the simple synths in Serpent's Spiral, which I already loved for its arrangement, but your instrumental use is even more effective now. Anyway, this piece: Use of Stone Man is very light, or else overly interpreted. All I hear clearly is the opening. I do hear Metal Man very clearly, although briefly. Otherwise, I really love the arrangement, production, everything about it. This one is going into my long-term collection, no question.
  • Dread Zero March: Well, no one knows better than I do that orchestral is a tricky and time-consuming style to accomplish as a newbie remixer. I'm also not sold on that Dive Man percussion thing. Better luck next time.
  • Bubble Man Chip Chip Churray: What's a churray? A 15-minute mix is pretty ballsy; if it's not utterly stunning, or changes completely a couple of times (in which case it still shouldn't be one song), the listener is going to get pretty fatigued. I characterized this as meandering before the 4-minute mark. The dischordant notes and distracting panning don't help. Then in the end it just gets weird: 11:24 starts a section that sounds like a carnival, then at 11:48, a sitar? Too many ideas. Focus on one and make it kick ass. If you'd spent the time it took to arrange the 11 minutes you didn't need, you could have improved the production quality of the 4 you did, and it might have been pretty good.
  • Dividing by Zero: Sour notes, abrupt transitions. A-B-A arrangement with no interaction between the sources. Vanilla synths, not much in the way of arrangement. A few inspired moments, mostly at the beginning and end, but otherwise there's not much here of interest.
  • Transducer: Classic SuperiorX. Not a terribly exciting mix, despite some vertical layering. Does everything it's supposed to do--good production quality, good source integration, it just isn't much fun.
  • BGUNF: Synth hammered dulcimer and synth strings. Interesting; they're just real enough to be identifiable, but fake enough so that they don't sound like they're supposed to be real. A fun take on Zero-X3. Then the solo bass trying to singlehandledly, clumsily, tack Skull Man on to the end. Oh well.
  • You're Not My Real Dad: Nice, seamless transition between the two sources. Arrangement right in that sweet spot between copying the source directly and substantially rewriting it. Does everything it sets out to do. I'm getting a little fatigued with atmospheric pads in this compo, but that isn't the fault of any one person.
  • Wily Wars... The Punishment Due: MMX and electric guitar, the classic combination, and Solar Man is thrashtastic icing on top. This is an unusual combination of sounds, though: You have a beautiful, crisp voice (despite illness and vocoding) that doesn't mesh with those dirty guitars very well. Could we get the lyrics? The X1/X3 mashup is a little messy, especially in the ending, it gets a bit chaotic there. Otherwise this is an epic arrangement.

Edited by MindWanderer

Review time!
  • Dread Zero March: Well, no one knows better than I do that orchestral is a tricky and time-consuming style to accomplish as a newbie remixer. I'm also not sold on that Dive Man percussion thing. Better luck next time.

What Dive Man percussion?

Edited by NovaReaper

Sins of Our Fathers: I was hoping you'd repeat your round 3 style, now that I don't have to feel upstaged about it! Yeah, this screams Sons of Liberty. Maybe a little bit too much so--not just the style but in some places the exact same transitions are used as in the main themes of MGS2 and 4. Sounds just a tad less polished than your last entry--a little more mechanical, a little weaker sound quality, one or two off-key chords, ending cuts out slightly abruptly. But these are minor nitpicks on an overall amazing piece. I do have one major concern: I can't pick out Concrete Man. The three Zero themes are plain, but I've listened to this piece about 10 times now, and Concrete Man several times to refresh my memory as to how it goes, and I can't find it.

Yeah, it was a homage to the MGS 3 main theme (and not 2 and 4s :P, though they're probably pretty similar but I've never listened to 4s), especially the first 2 minutes, basically using mega man notes/melodies/etc. The concrete man theme is literally only 5-15% of the source that I used, with Zero themes (X2, X3, and X4) taking about 50-60% of the source and then original stuff as the rest. It (concrete man) is improv'd as the opening sequence then used again from 1:06 - 1:16 in the horns. The chords from 1:06 - 1:16 give it a completely different feeling, but its more apparent here. I can understand not hearing it in the opening sequence since it is pretty loose, and much slower. Honestly, I had about a 6 minute piece in my head and only got 3:45 of it done in the 3-4 days I worked on it, so that's why Concrete man wasn't as apparent. Gotta make some sacrifices with limited time :). I could've thrown it in last minute in some spots to make it a bit more obvious, but I'd rather not detract from making a good song. And I felt like the many Zero themes being most prominent throughout went along with Darkeswords story pretty well, like some sort of hopeless struggle against a much superior foe.

Thanks for the review!

Edited by ShrackAttack

Yeah, it was a homage to the MGS 3 main theme (and not 2 and 4s :P, though they're probably pretty similar but I've never listened to 4s)
Yeah, my bad, the MGS3 main theme is on the MGS4 Anniversary soundtrack, which is what's on my playlist. I mentally think of the vocal "Snake Eater" piece as the main theme, even though it's not. Stupid tree frog.
It (concrete man) is improv'd as the opening sequence then used again from 1:06 - 1:16 in the horns.
I thought that might have been the intent with the intro, it's just super subtle and ambient. It's even more subtle in the chords there, which are already quiet.