Mega Man: The Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet 2013

DarkeSword

How come there's no youtube link for this week's source? It seems kind of strange that it wouldn't be on there considering every other mega man song seems to be.

Pretty much every YouTube video of the "Ending Theme" includes a soundtrack medley of MM6's robot master themes. I ripped and uploaded the Credits Theme myself to avoid any confusion.

I don't wanna put anyone off but.... the 29th is the day after my birthday can we has party when compo is over?! :-D

Also DS you picked a helluva bonus theme AND I get to mix Splash Woman again. Hells yeah!

What kind of party are we talking about? A cyber party, when everybody drinks and dances in front of their own computer or we all go to your house to try your bacon and sing Happy Birthday? :-) I need to know so I can dress accordingly. :-)

Penultimate review time....

• Liquid Metal 2 - Even Wetter: It's hard to review music in a genre you hate, so I'm trying to focus on arrangement and source usage. The arrangement is certainly a lot of fun, but source usage is mainly of the A-B-A-B variety, and Proto Man is basically just a couple of cameos (much less present than Splash Woman--and I'm still not clear on what she's doing there at all).
  • Archetype Stone: Finally a mix that makes heavy use of Stone Man!.. but then that's all it does. It's basically a Stone Man cover until 1:26 and from 2:04 to the end, and if the rest is Wily or Proto Man, I can't tell. I'm honestly surprised this is getting as many votes as it is; even though it's well-produced, it doesn't seem to meet the mission statement.
  • Waterfall's Return: There are a lot of clashing notes here. That super-long sustained chord gets old fast, and is way too loud. Everything else is pretty quiet, and gets increasingly drowned by the sustain. I have a feeling this was an editing error of some sort. And then of course it isn't finished.
  • Komo Sanctu et Shadedog Morientia: A lot of the parts are pretty quiet, but this is a good arrangement that makes excellent integrated use of all three sources. Couple minor timing issues in places. Instrumentation isn't the best at all times. It does get a little repetitive by the end. Ending is a little abrupt. But really the only major thing holding this back is volume levels/EQ.
  • Circuit Breaker: Hmm, I think Gario may have had more than a little to do with this one. Great frantic 9-bit stuff, just what I look forward to from him. Wankery from 1:42 to 2:05 is stellar (and I believe I hear mainly SuperiorX's musical style here). Tasteful use of SFX. Good coverage and integration of all three sources, although I can tell you had to think pretty hard about how to work Duo in, you succeeded well. Quite possibly my favorite piece of the whole compo, and the easiest first-place vote for me so far.
  • Slash Through Space and Destroy: Definitely incomplete. The basic drums barely vary, production could be better, and the sources are basically just used in sequence. Slash man is once again significantly altered, to the point where I'm not even sure that's what I'm hearing.
  • My Wily Valentine: Another music reference I don't know? I'm sure I'd give this more credit if I knew what you were trying to imitate here. Seems like there are a few flat notes on the second guitar. Arrangement mostly just alternates between the three sources, though it does so in a very consistent, cohesive style; second guitar does some layering of Wily under Solar Man (very similar to the way I did it), but it does so when the lead guitar is really wailing, so it took me a few listens before I heard it.

• Circuit Breaker: Hmm, I think Gario may have had more than a little to do with this one. Great frantic 9-bit stuff, just what I look forward to from him. Wankery from 1:42 to 2:05 is stellar (and I believe I hear mainly SuperiorX's musical style here). Tasteful use of SFX. Good coverage and integration of all three sources, although I can tell you had to think pretty hard about how to work Duo in, you succeeded well. Quite possibly my favorite piece of the whole compo, and the easiest first-place vote for me so far.

Cool, glad you liked the song soooo much! :) It was definitely the fastest song I've ever made. Gario created the leads at 0:51 - 1:15, 1:42 - 2:06, and 2:30 - 2:49. I did all the other instrumentation and arrangement. His leads made the song though, in my opinion. I actually had the easiest time working with Duo's theme, hah, it seemed to fit everywhere! The Wily sections were the trouble spots for me.

Hey Darke, can you update the scoreboard soon pleeeeeeease? I'm very curious to see where all the teams are at going in to this final round!!! Thanks! :)

[*]Komo Sanctu et Shadedog Morientia: A lot of the parts are pretty quiet

If you are talking about the relation between the guitars and the synths, I go for complete guitar domination in my metal remixes. Not the kind where the guitar blends a little too well like the track Therex posted earlier in the thread.

Final volume was too quiet. I should have rested my ears before mastering.

...and that choir patch. Was a little too quiet for the break wasn't it?

...and hey. you probably didn't even notice that I had strings buried in there did you? Did anyone?

Yea, some parts were too quiet. :)

The fire has dulled to embers

And there are few of us left standing

There are now far less members

Than when this quest was landing

Though interest has waxed and waned

There has always been someone near

The sense of brotherhood was never feigned

And the guidelines always clear

We stood together through thick and thin

And each had an awesome team

We say farewell with a sickly grin

To the Remix Gauntlet, 2013

The Scoreboard and Vote Tallies have been combined into one sheet.

I still need to do tallies for block 3, but the scoreboard will automatically update itself as I do them.

Remember everyone, one more week to work on your remixes for round 10.

I checked the vote tally and round 4 and round 5's points and ranks are off.