Mega Man: The Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet 2013

DarkeSword

Wow, no one responded to MindWanderer's review plea. :| Okay, I'll do it then. Again, these are all objective.

Pond Scum Phoenix - Wow, this is actually really loud. Nice swing rhythm and great source interpretation, but there's a really drastic imbalance in the frequencies. A whole bunch of subs and upper treble, and very little upper mids and filler frequencies. For the most part, there's a lead, drums, bass, and sometimes an arp, but not much filler material such as pads or other sustained instruments defining a chord progression. Something to think about. :)

Liquid Metal 2 - Mixing for the most part is good. Vocals are intelligible. Out of personal taste, I would have liked the vocals to be pushed back just a little bit. They feel a touch too dry even with the reverb you probably did put. Also, 2:14 might have a weird rhythmic hiccup in the bass? Didn't really get into the hip hop section. Just not my thing. Meat.

Archetype Stone - Nice implementation of those chiptune SFX with the orchestral intro. Great bass. Interesting dubstep section. Nice drop at 1:46, though I expected more sustained bass after it. Ah well. I suspect you ran out of time.

Waterfall's Return - Really quiet and muddy. :| What I would suggest is you do whatever it is you're most confident in doing, and practice what you aren't yet confident in. Harmonically, there isn't too much going on, and the percussion is clashing with the waterfall SFX. Perhaps you ran out of time too.

Komo Sanctu et Shadedog Morientia - I liked the intro. Source usage was well done. The writing was good, but the production brought it down some. It's peaking near -3dB, and in Larry's words, "It's like hearing a good sketch/mock-up version of a composition where all the meat isn't on the bones; everything sounds flatter and less expressive than it should as far as conveying the energy inherent in the arrangement." This almost sounds like this, tonally. With good production and mastering, this actually has a decent chance of passing the panel, dude.

Circuit Breaker - Pretty good bass. The snare was pretty resonant though, at ~10000Hz. Awesome chiptune work. The really high notes at 1:16 were quite piercing though, especially because of how thin the timbre was without much modulation for those notes. :( Overall, really fun mix.

Slash Through Space and Destroy - Nice work. Things seemed a little overcompressed and just a little bit quiet, but the guitar work was great. Sources were well-integrated. Sometimes the bass was pretty cool. The kick had far too much mids though, and I don't know if you put distortion on the drums but they sound like they're clipping a little via purposeful distortion. Poo fadeout. 8O:puppyeyes:

My Wily Valentine - Nice improv. Reminds me a little bit of Andy Timmons's stuff, as well as the "Memories of a Master" OC ReMix.

Edited by timaeus222

Komo Sanctu et Shadedog Morientia - I liked the intro. Source usage was well done. The writing was good, but the production brought it down some. It's peaking near -3dB, and in Larry's words, "It's like hearing a good sketch/mock-up version of a composition where all the meat isn't on the bones; everything sounds flatter and less expressive than it should as far as conveying the energy inherent in the arrangement." This almost sounds like this, tonally. With good production and mastering, this actually has a decent chance of passing the panel, dude.

I think the problem is with Steven Slate Drums. Shadedog II, which used session drummer 2, ended up being alot louder than both Shadedog I and III. One thing I noticed is that i'm getting these really sharp transients in the final waveform that are probably giving me the wrong idea where the peaks are. The thing is once I encode it the transients are gone and the piece is 3+db too quiet.

Haven't figured out how to fix it yet, probably won't ever be able to, but thanks for the review!

smexoscope might help ya there. :D

2ld7xab.jpg

I loaded Sanctu into Audacity just to show you what I mean. You can see the problem that gives me in getting the right volume. :)

The intro which has no drums is smooth but as soon as the drums kick in around 0:20 that's when everything gets weird. This problem has been dogging all of my metal remixes for the past two years and I haven't found any solutions yet.

The transients aren't even audible yet they set the meter off like crazy and it happens with every single SSD kit.

2ld7xab.jpg

I loaded Sanctu into Audacity just to show you what I mean. You can see the problem that gives me in getting the right volume. :)

The intro which has no drums is smooth but as soon as the drums kick in around 0:20 that's when everything gets weird. This problem has been dogging all of my metal remixes for the past two years and I haven't found any solutions yet.

The transients aren't even audible yet they set the meter off like crazy and it happens with every single SSD kit.

Honestly that wav looks like it suffers from lack of loudness war. Gotta boost and limit bro :-P

jk or am i

Honestly that wav looks like it suffers from lack of loudness war. Gotta boost and limit bro :-P

jk or am i

That one I pushed about as loud as I could take it before it started clipping and I still had alot further to go. I don't get what's going on but I still love SSD. I think the only thing to try is going with session drummer instead.

2ld7xab.jpg

Weird. Alright, hope you get that resolved man.

That one I pushed about as loud as I could take it before it started clipping and I still had alot further to go. I don't get what's going on but I still love SSD. I think the only thing to try is going with session drummer instead.

If you could send it to me unmastered, I could take a look at it, and possibly show you what I did unless it doesn't work out. But if it doesn't work out I could tell you what in the mix prevented it from working out.

Mixes are slowly coming in.

I want to remind everyone once the voting starts that the primary criteria for your votes should be how well the source tunes are used in the remix.

This is probably something I need to make clearer to the artists the next time I run one of these competitions, because as this competition has progressed, people have been submitting tracks have been increasingly liberal, to the point where I'm not even sure that they're using the source tunes in a significant way.

I love the creativity people are bringing to the table but in the end this is a remix competition, not an original music competition. Please keep this in mind as you're evaluating the remixes for your votes.

I submitted it. That was fun!

I'd like to thank everybody for all the help and constructive criticisms.

About our song:

Unfortunately, we lost Zerothemaster in the battle. SilvernixSP and I was debating what to do for the last round. I came up with the song idea and my teammate mentioned doing vocals. First I didn't want it, because English is our second language (or third or fourth), but when I found out SilvernixSP's native language is French (imo the sexiest language on Earth) I encouraged him to do the vocals. That's how our song was born. And now here's the lyrics:

-Mega Man 6 ending part-

Nous voici à la toute dernière ronde

Nous n'allons pas perdre notre temps encore moins une seconde

Mais y'en a qui se sont défié

A mettre des vocals

Dans nos music remixé

Alors faisons le nous aussi-si-si-si

-Nitro Man part-

L'armé des Metools viens tout juste de s'engagé-é

Le frelon c'est p-etre faite exterminé-é

Nous avons perdu un homme contre le docteur malfaiteur

Mais nous revenont avec une force destructeur

-Hornet Man part-

Nous sommes les débutants

Et nous avous pas froid

Car il y a toujours un commencement

Ce fut très instructif

Et peut-être qu'un autre fois

On sera beucoups plus compétitif (ben ouais!) yeah right!

On va tous vous battre

Vous avez aucune chance

On va tous vous battre

Car la victoire est pour nous

Quand tu mix du nitro avec un zippo

Ca va te donné un putain de flambeau

Vous allez que collecté, un vrai chaos

Vous allez pas nous éteindre avec de l'eau

-Heat Man part-

On se cache sous notre casque

Vous pouvez pas nous battre

On peut vraiment tout résisté

Vous perdez juste votre temps a toujours nous attaqué

C'est le début de la fin

Car la victoire est a nous bande de crétin

Will burn Everything to the ground

That's how I'm gonna beat you down

Faster than a superbike

You're all going to lose, Alright!

This is not going to end well

You will only suffer in hell

We have enough of your shit

and I'm sure that you're going to rage quit

Vous perdé juste votre temps a toujours nous attaqué

C'est le début de la fin

Car la victoire est à nous bande de crétin

-Hornet Man part-

Nous sommes les débutants

Et nous avous pas froid

Car il y a toujours un commencement

Ce fut très instructif

Et peut-être qu'un autre fois

On sera beucoups plus compétitif (ben ouais!) yeah right!

-Heat Man part-

Vous perdé juste votre temps a toujours nous attaqué

C'est le début de la fin

Car la victoire est à nous bande de crétin

Voila. I hope you guys like it a bit. I'm going out now, I need a drink. :-)