Mega Man: The Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet 2013

DarkeSword

But this has been a fun competition, and I look forward to all entries. :)

Yeah, same here. I tried out so many other styles. Funk, Electro House, Orchestral (yes, I had to carry out Cosmic Sounds's arrangements because he was having trouble with something), and now... Metal/Industrial/Ambient.

This is probably something I need to make clearer to the artists the next time I run one of these competitions, because as this competition has progressed, people have been submitting tracks have been increasingly liberal, to the point where I'm not even sure that they're using the source tunes in a significant way.

I love the creativity people are bringing to the table but in the end this is a remix competition, not an original music competition. Please keep this in mind as you're evaluating the remixes for your votes.

Our entry isn't too liberal, is it? I dunno, I was actually going back and forth and making sure I could recognize the source as I arranged it. Do you want me to provide a source breakdown?

Edited by timaeus222

Here's the lyrics to our remix:

KingTiger:

Adventure of a Lifetime, was so sweet

but your Lifetime Adventure ain't complete

all those little moments from day to day

don't ever let them slip away

it's what's in front of you right now that's real

even though it's over and you may feel

empty inside, won't you stay?

"big picture" is how you were made

each moment brings a brand new challenge

and the only question is, will you allow it

to bring you the thrill that you always wanted

or will you run away on an endless hunt for it?

you can search the galaxy for life

but please, just open your eyes

it's right in front of you, this whole time

the grass isn't greener, no matter how you try

ladyWildfire:

the only thing for certain is death and taxes

that along with a few natural disasters

like a tornado or a wave that crashes

into your dreams, and then they shatter

million pieces, million ways

in a split second your life can change

something as simple as a word said in haste

can bring about a great deal of pain

but don't let it all keep you down

take that pain and turn it around

give it all to the ones you love

and no matter what, don't give up

keep your feet firm on the ground

but don't be afraid to dream in the clouds

ignore all the lies and all that stuff

let your Lifetime Adventure take you above

Sterling:

take a dive deep in the ocean

or keep your feet always in motion

you just can't run, and you sure can't hide

from the pain that'll come inside

it may not be a big commotion

it may just be the tiniest quotient

of your life that'll break your stride

and you'll find yourself on a different ride

"Clearly not what you wanted?"

get it in your head to just accept it

you'll find yourself with new affections

and your heart's gonna turn resurrected

I think you will soon see clear

Adventure of a Lifetime; that what you're after!

So we'll take you, on a Lifetime Adventure

That's who we are, the Robot Master Royalty!

hey everyone, just wanted to apologize for my disappearance/lack of participation in the compo lately. Between halc's wedding, upcoming live shows & travel, and quite frankly being completely broke and unable to pay my bills, my priorities unfortunately had to shift. I've been working hard, nonstop, but... just not on this compo. I know a lot of people were hoping I would give 100%, and I regret not being able to, but I've had a ton of fun regardless! thanks peeps :)

hey everyone, just wanted to apologize for my disappearance/lack of participation in the compo lately. Between halc's wedding, upcoming live shows & travel, and quite frankly being completely broke and unable to pay my bills, my priorities unfortunately had to shift. I've been working hard, nonstop, but... just not on this compo. I know a lot of people were hoping I would give 100%, and I regret not being able to, but I've had a ton of fun regardless! thanks peeps :)

You're a dirty bum, butt I still <3 you

not an excuse not an excuse not an excuse not an excuse not an excuse not an excuse not an excuse not an excuse not an excuse not an excuse not an excuse not an excuse not an excuse not an excuse not an excuse not an excuse not an excuse not an excuse not an excuse

Sorry to hear that. We might go and see you in Orlando. Good luck!

Pond Scum Phoenix - Wow, this is actually really loud. Nice swing rhythm and great source interpretation, but there's a really drastic imbalance in the frequencies. A whole bunch of subs and upper treble, and very little upper mids and filler frequencies. For the most part, there's a lead, drums, bass, and sometimes an arp, but not much filler material such as pads or other sustained instruments defining a chord progression. Something to think about. :)

Well, usually my problem is being too quiet, so a little too loud is an improvement.

There are actually either arps or pads throughout nearly all of the piece, but I guess either they're too quiet or their frequencies are getting drowned out in the harmonics of the other instruments. I overused the heck out of the Wily theme as an arp. I also think there's only maybe one or two places with both arp and pad at once. Since most of the leads and basses contained several layed voices, I was worried about a soundscape that was too busy, but I guess I was too conservative about that. Thanks for the feedback! At least someone is interested in helping me improve.

I guess you didn't read the part about Darke winning the lottery jackpot and offering a $250,000 cash prize to the winning team.

[*]My Wily Valentine: Another music reference I don't know? I'm sure I'd give this more credit if I knew what you were trying to imitate here. Seems like there are a few flat notes on the second guitar. Arrangement mostly just alternates between the three sources, though it does so in a very consistent, cohesive style; second guitar does some layering of Wily under Solar Man (very similar to the way I did it), but it does so when the lead guitar is really wailing, so it took me a few listens before I heard it.

I totally JUST saw this.

It's a reference to 'My Funny Valentine'.

It's a jazz standard. Great song.

I basically took the exact melodies of the source tunes and then warmed up my Jazz theory brain. <3

Jazz theory is fun. But WAY too hard. hahaha

I think my main problem is that I hate repeating the same genre every time. I have to do 100% different things every time.

However, I'll never escape the meh-tuhlz.

I totally JUST saw this.

I basically took the exact melodies of the source tunes and then warmed up my Jazz theory brain. <3

I think my main problem is that I hate repeating the same genre every time. I have to do 100% different things every time.

However, I'll never escape the meh-tuhlz.

I thought you were referencing My Bloody Valentine, not My Funny Valentine!

...Jazz-metal?

I heard it was a genre created by women while out shoe shopping, it expresses the emotion of seeing the most beautiful set of shoes you've ever laid eyes on, but then seeing the price tag. Euphoric with a side of brutality.

For a moment there I confused My Bloody Valentine with Bullet for My Valentine and was trying to fit the phrase "Euphoric with a side of brutality" against their, uh, 'style'. I think my brain may have just turned itself inside out 8O

I totally JUST saw this.

I loved the reference. Such a great song. My high school jazz band played that song and I had a trumpet solo in it.

Shariq told me the zip wouldn't upload because the internet can't handle the final round's awesomeness. The second time he tried to upload the file his computer blew up so we won't be hearing from him for a while.

Holy shit. What if a piece of the file managed to make it onto the internet and spread far and wide, spreading it's destructive awesomeness onto unsuspecting computers, causing them shut down and never boot again.

What if part of the file found it's way into a congressman's computer and spread throughout the internal infrastructure of congress.

Are WE responsible for the shutdown of the American Government? 8O