Mega Man: The Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet 2013

DarkeSword

Now that everything is in, FWIW, I have a short list of remixes where I really enjoyed the arrangements but the production held them back. Here's the ones I would particularly love to see improved versions of:

• Space Pirate Attack
  • Funky Moles & Trashy Ducks
  • Lunar Storm
  • Tempestuous
  • In Everlasting Pieces
  • Adventure of a Lifetime
  • We're the Robutts!

I also want to call out Blood of the Concrete Moon as one I'd love to see get some finishing treatment, not because the production wasn't amazing but because that piano solo is just way too long and breaks up the flow too much.

MindWanderer, if you don't mind can you PM me about the production issues on my 3 tracks?

MindWanderer, if you don't mind can you PM me about the production issues on my 3 tracks?

If I may, I enjoyed "Follow your dreams" but the vocal mixing was painful to my ears. Re-record them with a better microphone, and/or mix them better in the song and the track will improve a thousandfold. There were a lot of piercing frequencies there.

If I may, I enjoyed "Follow your dreams" but the vocal mixing was painful to my ears. Re-record them with a better microphone, and/or mix them better in the song and the track will improve a thousandfold. There were a lot of piercing frequencies there.

Gotcha. I plan on redoing the vocals at some point and submitting that track. I'll pay close attention to the highs when I get to it.

I personally think the synths in Cloudhopping are quite a bit better, the soundscape more robust, and the percussion and synth elements more dynamic (although I enjoy the arrangement of Moles more). I also think sometimes djp passes things he really likes that might not pass the judges' panel on technical merit. Either way the response will be enlightening. Also congrats, is that your first mixpost?

Yeah, that's my first mixpost. Now to just wait for it to go up. :) Also, it just so happens that Larry seems to be one of the people who determine whether something DPs or not, and djp does the writeups. I know that because the email was signed by Larry, and I think he also posted once before in a random mixpost that the ReMixes are more accurately written on the ReMix review page as "evaluated by Liontamer". :-o Larry usually is pretty detailed in his votes, so maybe he's lightened up his own bar after having gone through 9+ years of judging.

Basically the difference I was hoping to convey was the EQing and reverb rather than the sound selection as sounds are more subjective, but oh well, opinions will vary. I guess the objective difference between the two tracks is smaller to other people than I thought.

Edited by timaeus222

Yeah, that's my first mixpost. Now to just wait for it to go up. :) Also, it just so happens that Larry is the one who determines whether something DPs or not, and djp does the writeups. I know that because the email was signed by Larry, and I think he also posted once before in a random mixpost that the ReMixes are more accurately written on the ReMix review page as "evaluated by Liontamer". :-o Larry usually is pretty detailed in his votes, so maybe he's lightened up his own bar after having gone through 9+ years of judging.

Larry isn't the only one who DP's.

I just want to give a quick shout out to all the non-competitors who followed this competition every week and voted. Thanks guys. :)

Also I think I need to make a new rule about voting for the next compo that says to actually write the titles of the tracks and not these trying-to-be-funny approximations some of you guys do sometimes. :whatevaa:

Awww, Don't kill our wittle creative spirits :/

I'll try to finish most of my homework before then, sure. Home all weekend by mahself. :D

Larry and Deia direct post stuff because they are the inbox judges (they handle the queue directly from the submissions mailbox). Other judges could conceivably direct post tracks as well, but it's mostly those two and djp.

Ah, right, I do recall Deia giving me feedback in the olden days when I submitted a GBA music (hex) modding result. xD

Edited by timaeus222

Just managed to vote even though I'm on holidays in Hawaii. Be damn sure it was hard to take time away from all the cocktails I've been consuming.

Thanks everyone for participating in this comp and a special mention to those who lasted all the way to the end of this thing. Respect.

I hope everyone got a laugh from at least one of our tracks. We had fun making them.

I know some people didn't get the jokes but that's cool, I'll try to be more extreme for you next time ;)

Just managed to vote even though I'm on holidays in Hawaii. Be damn sure it was hard to take time away from all the cocktails I've been consuming.

Thanks everyone for participating in this comp and a special mention to those who lasted all the way to the end of this thing. Respect.

I hope everyone got a laugh from at least one of our tracks. We had fun making them.

I know some people didn't get the jokes but that's cool, I'll try to be more extreme for you next time ;)

I can tell you guys had a LOT of fun with your mixes, and I think that's one of the most important parts about this compo. Havine a lot of fun making music! I know I had a ton of fun making my tunes.

On another note, I haven't really reviewed anything and I've been very busy the last little while with school and work, but an idea I've had is to post Remixer reviews, where I review all your mixes as a whole rather than the individual mixes. Maybe not as helpful for specific production issues and the like, but I'd definitely like to provide some feedback to y'all. I should have some time to commit to that in the next few days.

an idea I've had is to post Remixer reviews, where I review all your mixes as a whole rather than the individual mixes.

Aw man I would love to get critiqued by the mighty BAMFibious .. maybe not for the later rounds because they were a bit of a mess for me, but my first two attempts were pretty solid efforts on my part.

I mean ALL reviews are absolutely welcomed and appreciated , I'm just saying I've really enjoyed your music stylistically throughout this competition and ever since that Sonic compo 8O oops I went all fanboy for a minute, apologies

On another note, I haven't really reviewed anything and I've been very busy the last little while with school and work, but an idea I've had is to post Remixer reviews, where I review all your mixes as a whole rather than the individual mixes. Maybe not as helpful for specific production issues and the like, but I'd definitely like to provide some feedback to y'all. I should have some time to commit to that in the next few days.

Funny thing is, I think my arrangement quality curve was a shallow U, and my best was my first entry followed by my last, then my second, then my third. xD I did improve my bass mixing throughout though, IMO.

Edited by timaeus222

I review all your mixes as a whole rather than the individual mixes. Maybe not as helpful for specific production issues and the like, but I'd definitely like to provide some feedback to y'all.
I'd definitely appreciate that. If anything that would be more helpful than comments on a particular mix; I'm probably not going to revisit any of these mixes, I don't think any of them are good enough to try to improve them to the submittable level, but I can certainly try to improve myself as a whole.