OCR01472 - *YES* Super Double Dragon 'No. 5 (Snapdragon)'

djpretzel

Remixer: ParagonX9 (ID=14058)

Web: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/view.php?id=198486

Remix Title: No. 5 (Snapdragon)

Game: Super Double Dragon (SNES)

Track: 5th Stage

// LoL finally after more than a year I finally had the time to finish my remix of SDD (S5) I actually didnt like this game at all. The old DoubleDragon series were much better in my opinion.

I made this remix in Reason 3.0, and mastered it with: SoundForge, T-Racks24 and my self-made '8-Band Compressor' (Going to make a 24-Band soon) There's lot's of variation in this remix, and I used different styles in it.. gotta love that 3-step part ;)

Enjoy listening,

- JD

http://snesmusic.org/spcsets/sdd.rsn - "Mission 4" (sdd-05.spc)

Heh, the SPC pack says mission 4, but I've certainly never played that crud so I wouldn't know any better.

Good upbeat, energetic intro. Melody's quickly alluded to (firstly at :11) during the buildup. Finally comes in for real at :52. Nothing really groundbreaking, but this was getting it done with some good instruments and breakbeats. Good woodwind synth usage at 1:15, along with the strings beneath that. The synthetic texture was nice and airy here; things were working well.

Good changeup of the beat rhythm at 1:50 for something fresh; same with the melody at 2:02. Chorus came back at 2:31 thought with some nasty hard techno where the plain beats and distortion-type stuff were dragging this down. Luckily didn't last too long.

Can't say I was feeling the beats either from 2:48-3:11, but decent recovery out of it with the arranged melody from 3:11-3:34. Kind of dragged to have it playing by itself like that from 3:23-3:34, though I see how you were trying to create contrast moving back into the breakbeat section at 3:35. Maybe just do that from 3:29-3:34, though it's not a particularly significant complain. Just a suggestion so it wouldn't seem empty for so long but still provides the contrast you intended.

Last section from 4:21-4:49/end didn't really end the track strongly IMO, but the overall quality was pretty solid. Relatively speaking, the sounds weren't particularly strong, but the arrangement kept the focus on playing around with the melody and provided a good deal of variation with the supporting elements to keep things moving forward. Not an overly strong YES, but not borderline. Could draw NOs, but cool potential sophomore mix here. I look forward to hearing your future works.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh wow, this is really cool. I could make some nitpicks here about a few production aspects (mids-highs are a bit muddy at times, reverb/delay is sometimes excessive, and the wind instrument doesn't sound so hot), but for the most part, the synths are well-designed and executed, the beats are hot, and I LOVE THAT 3/4 CHANGEUP!!! Very creative! The switch to 'hardcore' all of a sudden is also unexpected, but welcome. The arrangement factor is most definitely there given the simplicity of the original.

I've heard a lot of electronic mixes and I can safely say this is one of the most unique and well-made ones of the lot. Great job.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

oooh what a hot beat man. Nice. :)

Synths are really good too. Nice texture; nothing is out of place, and the balance is just right. The flute fits right in. Bassline is slick; present, but not overpowering.

Zircon, that isn't 3/4 time; it's 6/8 in 2 (or 12/8 in 4, whatever floats your boat). Needless to say, flawless execution.

These stylistic changeups are really nice. This is the kind of variation I like to hear.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Good beats, great groove going there. Sounds like UT99 music.

That being said, I do have some issues with choices on some of the effects throughout the mix. I feel there's an unnecessary use of reverb on some of the synth sounds which is giving a rather muddy sound to some parts of the mix. Just a nitpick on my behalf.

Another is that the lead synth through parts of the mix doesn't really evolve beyond the one sound. The lead could have had some frequency changes, maybe even some velocity or panning alterations, but it stays static right the way through.

The switch in the time signature was good, fit in well and was a nice break. I'm not feeling the distorted beats halfway in the mix, but they're mixed in well so nothing out of place there.

Not much else to bitch about. The mix isn't making any giant leaps in musical technology, but it works as a quaint little remix of the source. (codename: Groove Bias)

YES