Back to the Future Music

DarkeSword

I dunno about that but his early work with "The News" was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

I think the power of love was used more because it's technically a love story with a time travel story built round it.

After all its the story of a kid accidentally stopping his parents from meeting and must get them back together otherwise he stops existing.

And he does so by using..

*puts on sunglasses

The power of love.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

I dunno about that but his early work with "The News" was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

i c wat u did thar.

relevant

What's emblematic is Alan Silvestri's, score specifically starting from the moment Marty steps on the accelerator to start his final run down the street to catch the lightning to send him back to the future.

Well of course, Alan Silvestri's score is the most memorable and really makes the movie. But I just think it's interesting that even though "Back in Time" is specifically a Back to the Future song (the lyrics directly reference events in the movie), the "Power of Love" like it represents the movie more.

One of my favorite musical moments is during "Earth Angel," where George finally kisses Lorraine and then Silvestri's strings just RUSH in playing the chords.

I think the power of love was used more because it's technically a love story with a time travel story built round it.

After all its the story of a kid accidentally stopping his parents from meeting and must get them back together otherwise he stops existing.

And he does so by using..

*puts on sunglasses

The power of love.

This -- time travel is the tortilla, love is the beef and cheese.

Also, the Power of Love is a better song. To me, Back in Time has some more of those idiosyncratic 80s harmonies that just don't translate well out of the decade (unlike the movies themselves). You know the ones I'm talking about? It's they pushed major tonality, minor pentatonic, and some harmony clusters all too close together -- not just pop, not quite blues, too light hearted to be funk . . .

This -- time travel is the tortilla, love is the beef and cheese.

Also, the Power of Love is a better song. To me, Back in Time has some more of those idiosyncratic 80s harmonies that just don't translate well out of the decade (unlike the movies themselves). You know the ones I'm talking about? It's they pushed major tonality, minor pentatonic, and some harmony clusters all too close together -- not just pop, not quite blues, too light hearted to be funk . . .

Yeah I agree. Also the lyrics are just too specific to the movie.

"Is this the fifties, or 1999?"

"Please don't drive 88, don't wanna be late again..."