Super Mario 3D World

Crowbar Man

http://e3.nintendo.com/games/detail/super-mario-3d-world/

Four Players + Three Dimensions = Super Mario Fun

Work together with your friends or compete for the crown in the first multiplayer 3D Mario game for the Wii U console. In the Super Mario 3D World game, players can choose to play as Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach or Toad.

Features:

Each character has unique abilities and play styles. For example, Princess Peach glides over gaps, while Luigi has his trademark extra-high jump.

The new cat transformation allows players to run on all fours, pounce on enemies, attack in midair or use their claws to scamper up walls and goal poles.

Explore colorful 3D environments filled with obstacles and contraptions like transparent pipes and vertical conveyor belts, which add new puzzle elements.

Use the Wii U GamePad controller’s touch screen to search for hidden blocks and freeze enemies in place.

Release: December 2013

Discuss!

Edited by Crowbar Man

Not sure if it was mentioned in the other thread, but I really hope that is the way the all the in-game music is going to sound. Some great stuff here, and love that sax.

Improvements I'd like to see in 3D World over 3D Land:

* Music (already a good step there from the trailer)

* A Map that isn't a straight line (make it something like SMB3/World/NSMB/etc)

* Hidden Exits that give you multiple paths on the map and new levels to go to (again like SMW/NSMB/etc)

* MORE LEVELS

Of all the retro style elements included in 3D Land I don't know why they went so simple with the Map

Can't wait for December. EXCITEMENT!

Sixto: It should play along the lines of 3D Land, which wasn't hard to play (control wise, IMO at least), just fun challenge. Now dealing with co-op and other players might might its own set of challenge (just like NSMB in multi) but the play field is wider than 3D Land to accommodate. Plus being in 3D gives you more places to stand than 2D (vs NSMB)

Edited by Crowbar Man

Well it isn't supposed to be original as it is a follow up to 3D Land. However, technically 3D Land/World are "new"/"original". Its a new way to do a 3D Mario Vs the style they were using before. And one more "3D Land" style game isn't stagnation like CoD at all. That would be like saying Galaxy 2 was stagnation, when it was an excellent follow up to Galaxy 1

In fact just from 3D Land to 3D World we have:

* New suit (s? We'll see)

* 4 player co-op (new to Mario 3D games)

* 4 styles of play (Mario/Luigi/Peach/Toad)

* Pipes are no longer non-interactive tubes that just go one way or another, you can control movement within the pipe, enemies are within the pipe, and they've been made transparent so you can see clearly

So it isn't even like the same exact game with new levels. They are still changing it up

I wouldn't call 3D Land "perfect" but it was extremely good (especially for a handheld game). I'd say console quality but unfortunately Galaxy has set the bar so high though that it can't help but look a little simplistic in comparison. My one major gripe about the game is the over world map is just plain boring compared to even a game as old as Super Mario Bros 3. Mario hasn't played levels in a straight line since SMB2 (US or JP) so that was a major step back IMO. Quite on the short too (at least, the main game without all the extras. Love the extras though!).

That being said, I do love how it brought back so many retro Mario elements that Mario 64 kinda threw away when they started the 3D series. I'd love to see the same concept fleshed out on a console sized game, which is what we are getting here. Better music, better graphics (on a HDTV to boot), new power ups, hopefully a lot more levels (and a real map please? with multiple exits pretty please?), and being able to do it all co-op sounds like a real blast!

THE SHORT SUMMARY: If they do a better job on 3D World than 3D Land we are in for an excellent treat :)

Edited by Crowbar Man

I do have to admit some online multiplayer would of been awesome, but considering this is their first shot at multi in a 3D Mario title lets not shoot for the moon. They didn't even do online multi in NSMB yet.

Honestly at this point, I wouldn't expect much out of their online offering. Nintendo is focused on local multiplayer, which is their biggest strength. Online is Nintendo's biggest weak point, and they don't seem to be improving much :/

Strangely enough, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon had a little multiplayer mode to it which was really fun (but a little bugged). Baby steps I guess!

Also, just because it has mutli doesn't mean you can't play it single player..

Edited by Crowbar Man

Strangely enough, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon had a little multiplayer mode to it which was really fun (but a little bugged). Baby steps I guess!

This is one of the big problems as a whole for the company though. These baby steps have been going on for far too long. It is one thing to take time to perfect something, it is another to flat out just not do it.

Yeah, while Nintendo can often be a trail blazer doing things nobody else has yet, Nintendo is very very slow at adopting things other companies are doing. Especially if it doesn't directly translate into making them lots of money. DLC (for better or worse) and digital downloads are for example something Nintendo is finally warming up to because they realize there is money to be had there. Since they aren't charging for an online service, and don't have a lot of experience in the field, they are being very selective about what games they will support online. Unless they specify, I'd assume most games aren't going to have online support unless they supported them already on the Wii (Mario Kart, SSB are about the only ones)

Instead of a direct online support, they've built this weird "Nintendo-only" social network for players to connect with each other instead. Kinda neat in way though but.. weird.

Nintendo does things in a very bizarre way. But not new if you are familiar with them.. just frustrating when you want to see them move forward lol

Edited by Crowbar Man

Considering their target demographic is families, which generally have multiple people living in the same house, local multiplayer makes the most sense.

And pretty sure that will work out quite well for them.

This. My roomies and I are already looking forward to another great four-player with this game and NSMBU once I finally have enough scraped up to get a Wii U. Aint nothin' wrong with couch multi.

I WANT!

Plus I don't care if it's online or not. Is super nintendo online? How much fun we had?

I better play a game with people in the same room than playing a game with people all over the world. The feeling is better and the persons are real.

Just my opinion. This is why I still love nintendo. They use retro stuff even if it is not completly new. And they group family and friends in the same room.

I WANT. Dot.

(sorry if my post agree/disagree with your opinion. This is just the way I see it! Thank you)

:)

I WANT!

Plus I don't care if it's online or not. Is super nintendo online? How much fun we had?

I better play a game with people in the same room than playing a game with people all over the world. The feeling is better and the persons are real.

Just my opinion. This is why I still love nintendo. They use retro stuff even if it is not completly new. And they group family and friends in the same room.

I WANT. Dot.

(sorry if my post agree/disagree with your opinion. This is just the way I see it! Thank you)

:)

I definitely understand this, and it makes a ton of sense and I agree, but you've gotta remember that online gameplay is a huge part of gaming now. Sure, I still love local multiplayer and LAN kicks online play's butt, but in this day and age it's honestly almost expected that a Mario game would have online gameplay. They've done it with a few, but not the main titles, which would be interesting, honestly.

All the discussion about innovation in this title is a bit funny. We've seen one trailer and 3 (not that sure) stages, which is clearly not enough to judge a game, especially a Mario game where almost every stage introduces new mechanics (look at Mario Galaxy for that).

I think we should wait until the game actually comes out to judge it! Also, people complain a lot about the camera angle being similar to 3D Land, but apparently everyone missed that you can actually move the camera in this game and play just like you played Mario 64 8O