Super Mario 3D World

Crowbar Man

multiplayer mario would be so easy to ruin. it runs from a communal pot of lives so all it takes is a griefer killing himself constantly and 3 people are instantly turned off the game

why would nintendo want to introduce anyone to that

People always come up with these scenarios and my only question is, why are Nintendo gamers such dicks? :lol:

Don't know if anyone's posted it yet, but here's a thoughtful article on the differences between the lastest 3D Land and previous 3D Mario games, and why they actually do a lot to bring in new players, veterens, and "new old" players that may have dropped off before Mario 64.

In my opinion, it does a good job elaborating on an idea that I felt was the reason so many people dropped off Mario when it went full 3D on the N64. Hell, my mom will play NSMBU. That is an extremely compelling thought to me as a developer and industry member hopeful. Hell, even just as a gamer and a family person.

This article does a good job at getting me hyped for this game even more.

I wouldn't of expected a 3D Mario game to even be multiplayer, let alone online. In what world is there people expecting main Mario games (primarily single player games) to be online? Odd

Actually, I really miss how the early Mario games had simple turn-taking 2-player modes. Made the kids learn patience while their incompetent younger brother bumbled through a stage as Luigi. Seems like such an easy thing to implement without harming the single-player experience. Never really understood why they mostly dropped it after Super Mario World.

This article does a good job at getting me hyped for this game even more.

That did indeed get me interested in the game just now... Echoes some thoughts I remember expressing in the past about why I was getting bored with the 3D Mario games. Especially the way the power-ups were set to be used in very specific contexts and locations rather than being open to the player to hold onto for as long as they could, as well as the difference between the "Get to the end of the stage" design philosophy and the "Run around in circles until you find the star" style.

Edited by yangfeili

Actually, I really miss how the early Mario games had simple turn-taking 2-player modes. Made the kids learn patience while their incompetent younger brother bumbled through a stage as Luigi. Seems like such an easy thing to implement without harming the single-player experience. Never really understood why they mostly dropped it after Super Mario World.

Oh wow I completely forgot about that. I remember I use to think that 2-player on Super Mario Bros. meant that Luigi and Mario could play at the same time. I was sorta disappointed when that wasn't the case. :P

• 6 months later...

Level Castle-7 (aka 8-7) is hard as hell. I'm talking Lost Levels hard. Be prepared if you want to get all the stars and stamps. Apparently there are a ton more levels after this one, so I can only imagine. I'm not complaining though. Bring it on, Nintendo. Still, I think the developers at that company got tired of hearing how Nintendo games have become too easy and decided to up the difficulty in their games.

If this game is a sign of things to come from Nintendo, then I am absolutely stoked. Mario has come and proved himself on Wii U. Time to let Fox, Samus, DK, Little Mac and the rest of the crew shine.

Yeah this game is great, I got it (and a Wii U) for Christmas and have been playing it nonstop. The early levels are still pretty easy, but overall the game presents a decent challenge, and more importantly is a ton of fun. I just beat the 'main' game yesterday and am working on the levels you unlock after you win the main game now... and yeah they are damn hard :-D The new power-ups are a lot of fun too... like Cat Mario and Cannon Mario. Plus I was really excited to see the return of Boomerang Mario from SMB3. Highly recommended!!

Yeah this game is great, I got it (and a Wii U) for Christmas and have been playing it nonstop. The early levels are still pretty easy, but overall the game presents a decent challenge, and more importantly is a ton of fun. I just beat the 'main' game yesterday and am working on the levels you unlock after you win the main game now... and yeah they are damn hard :-D The new power-ups are a lot of fun too... like Cat Mario and Cannon Mario. Plus I was really excited to see the return of Boomerang Mario from SMB3. Highly recommended!!

SMB3 did not have a boomerang powerup for Mario. I don't think it was properly introduced until 3D Land (Galaxy 2 might've had it? I forget).

SMB3 did have a hammer suit for Mario though, and introduced the Boomerang Bros enemy type.

The Worlds after you beat the "regular" worlds are pretty rough. I have currently all the stamps, stars, and gold posts of everything except

World Crown stuff. Died a ton on Level Crown-Crown and I haven't had a chance to retry in a while. I'm trying to do it with just Vanilla Mario too so :/ May have to break down and get a powerup or use another character

Sitting at 4 shiny profile "Completion stars" right now... going to work on the 5th one eventually.

Shiny profile stars are a lot easier to maintain in this game than SM3D Land. You just don't use the Invincible Tanooki. If someone messes up your Shiny status by beating a level wearing one, go back and play the level without it, it'll come back. (You can find it by looking at the level scores, levels beaten with Invincible Tanooki score 0) 3D Land you had to never die more than 5 times in any level :( and once you saved after dying the 5th time, they were gone for good. Rough! I got all 5 Profile Complete stars on 3D Land but I don't think I'll go back and do all of it over again to make them Shiny

I'd say this game turned out a lot better than I anticipated, better than 3D Land for sure, and way better than NSMBU (though, I did like NSMBU's more structured map system/level themes.) Only complaint I could think of for 3D World is I don't understand why the levels were so randomly placed in when each world seemed to have a "Theme" (Grass, Water, Rock, Snow, etc)) but only the first level of a world ever followed the them. The next levels afterwards would be completely random themes. I did like the hybrid format of having a paths/freedom of being able to wander around, and all the little secrets they hid on the overworld maps.

As a whole I don't feel it is quiet up there with Galaxy 1/2 but still an extremely good entry into the series and deserves to be played by everybody. I actually wound up playing mostly single player, and the game is very satisfying (maybe even better) as a single player experience. Its a blast in Multi though too.

I'd HEAVILY recommend this, as this is definitely a "Must Have" on the Wii U. Amazing graphics, music (seriously, amazing music), gameplay, replay ability, multiplayer, fun Miiverse integration, some little neat uses of the GamePad, etc.

Edited by Crowbar Man

SMB3 did not have a boomerang powerup for Mario. I don't think it was properly introduced until 3D Land (Galaxy 2 might've had it? I forget).

SMB3 did have a hammer suit for Mario though, and introduced the Boomerang Bros enemy type.

Ah yeah, hammer bros suit is what I was thinking of. Both suits are awesome, tho I like the boomerang one here a bit more :-D

The Worlds after you beat the "regular" worlds are pretty rough. I have currently all the stamps, stars, and gold posts of everything except

World Crown stuff. Died a ton on Level Crown-Crown and I haven't had a chance to retry in a while. I'm trying to do it with just Vanilla Mario too so :/ May have to break down and get a powerup or use another character

Oh no. At the beginning, I said that I would just stick to Toad and Mario, but then I started having to use the other two, and finally, the secret character, in some stages. I have had to go back to the first level to pick up the Cat suits, and Peach and "secret character" have made some extreme stages much more tolerable. I'm still determined to get all the stars, stamps and goals, so I'm not a complete chicken.

Toad is still my favorite, at least before the final stages where playing with him becomes a handicap.

What'll make a good Mario game is the quirkiness and fun of the classics, the depth of SM64, good music (SMBWii was a great games with some stupid music), the advantage of new-gen technology, and no extra corny or unnecessary bullcrap. Multiplayer? I look forward to it.

Edited by Salluz

(SMBWii was a great games with some stupid music), the advantage of new-gen technology, and no extra corny or unnecessary bullcrap.

That's why you change the music in the game, like I did. I injected a few brstm files into the game and replaced the athletic stages with the "Mario 2 Super Buck Jazz" that I listened to for years from this site.