OverClocked Assembled - WhoDunnit? (Mystery Medley)

Damashii!!

http://soundcloud.com/darkmoocher/overclocked-assembled

(lyrics in Soundcloud description)

Source Breakdown:

intro - L.A. Noire Main Theme -

Primary SOurce - Clue Title Screen -

Secondary source (countermelody) - Luigi's Mansion Main Theme -

Bridge and Verse 3 -

Sample Credits:

Dexter (various speeches)

Tell-Tale Heart (1953)

Luigi's Mansion

Prairie Home Companion - Guy Noir intro

Background:

Hopefully this is the first of many more collaborations, which I will explain in another thread shortly, but for this song I wanted to make something really over-dramatic and cartoon-y, but with a gritty Boom Bap vibe. I imagine Dom's verse as a CSI introductory analysis, my verse as the POV of a Burglar who stumbled into a Baccano-like situation where things went not as planned, and DiGi's verse as a Sherlock Holmes bookend closing to the investigation. Suggestions and critiques are more than welcomed, yet for the most part I'm at least 95% satisfied with this and considering submitting it as is. So let me hear your thoughts, people, and hopefully we can start cranking out more things along these lines! :nicework:

Oh man Jordan! I didn't see that you posted this in here a few days ago! It's sounding awesome! Way more developed than the early WIP you showed me awhile ago.

I'm loving the atmosphere of the song, and you blended all the sources quite well. I'm personally indifferent to the vocal clips in the intro, but I think they set the stage well and the LA Noire theme works really well there too to set the vibe for the piece. The two main sources work great together, great job!

Dom, nice job man! You're improving a lot with your vocals! :) Jordan, this was a really fun delivery and style from you, I enjoyed your verse and the chorus quite a lot! And man oh man, do I love DiGi's way over the top British accent here in this song. It would sound totally cheesy out of context, but it is just so damn perfect here. I absolutely friggen' lost it when I heard "Toodle-pip, Taty-bye!". Those Luigi's Mansion voice clips are so funny too.

Yeah I'd definitely say this is submission ready, in my opinion. Go for it! :) And man does this make me that much more excited for you to start that OverClocked Assembled thread. But ARE THEY READY!?! :-o

Lol, i'll say it before but i'll say it again publicly since this has been posted - this was a great little song with a fantastic concept and i'm honoured that Jordan wanted me on board for it.

When he came to me with the idea i admitted i knew nothing about the game Clue (or Cluedo, as we call the board game over here in the UK ...not sure if that's a global thing though). He laid out the beat (which i also absolutely loved) and told me i could take the role of any character i wanted as long as it kept with the theme, so i opted for a Sherlock-ish Holmes type dude. Lol, i'm not really one for posh accents in raps so this was something new to me.

Actually, there is a style of HipHop over here that does contain posh dudes rapping, and it's called 'ChapHop'. Check out this tune by

for a quick dive in to the crazy genre, lol.

For my verse, i wanted to try channelling this style of rap in to the Holmes theme.

It was a fun style to take on, i must say. I really enjoyed myself on this tune!

Actually, there is a style of HipHop over here that does contain posh dudes rapping, and it's called 'ChapHop'. Check out this tune by
for a quick dive in to the crazy genre, lol.

For my verse, i wanted to try channelling this style of rap in to the Holmes theme.

Hahaha, oh man, that was ridiculous :-P Your version of that worked quite well here though, I do say :)

Let's hope some other people share their thoughts on this mix now. You guys deserve it!

So, where to start? First off, it's a great concept - it's clever and fun, and it's always a pleasure to see rap used in such creative/novel ways.

The beat is awesome, and surprisingly cohesive given how many and how different the sources are. That's something I noticed on our Pianta Joe collab, too: Jordan's incredible ability to take tiny bits of several songs and meld them together into something fantastic.

BrothaDom gives a solid verse; I like your voice and especially your initial "WhoDunnit!?" Only complaint: idk how much I like the filters on the lines "Somehow they got away (without a witness?) / I'm tired of the games (Suspicious business)." Without the lyrics sheet I may not have comprehended those parts in parentheses. Pretty tight flow here, though, so I can't complain otherwise.

Now, idk if there's a term to describe Jordan's style, but I dig it a lot - both in the chorus and the 2nd verse. I love the crazy voices and vocalizations with like "won't catch me by surprise though!" and "wait, look out fool, behind you...!" Reminds me of a more animated Snoop Dogg. Perfect for the vibe of the song and very engaging to listen to.

Digi, thank you for exposing me to chap hop. Your verse was spot-on and Sherlock Holmes was a perfect utilization of your voice and style. "This doesn't add up!" and especially "Toodle-pip taty-bye!" are stand-out lines for me.

What else? I loved the "humming" during the bridge, I liked the various audio clips; I'm personally very fond of the Luigi's Mansion theme, employed to great effect here.

All of this is to say, excellent work! It's probably submission-ready as-is. And in the future, when OverClocked Assembled assembles, let me know if you need some Final Sigma/Put me in coach!