Ripple Dot Zero

Arrow

This free Flash game got released yesterday and oh my god, it's like a long-last Sega Genesis classic. I saw a description on Destructoid that said "Sonic mixed with Strider", and that's about right for the gameplay. The music is FM deliciousness. I'm only two levels in so far (well, three counting the intro level), but I can tell I'm gonna enjoy this one. Ya'll need to get up on this.

(doesn't seem to play well with my JoyToKey + Xbox 360 controller though; I can't map movement to the d-pad instead of the analog stick)

• 1 month later...

By the way, the same guy made the music and the graphics. His artwork is really worth checking out, I think: http://www.simonstalenhag.se/index.html

this guy has some serious talent. That's some beautiful artwork on his site and the graphics and colors and everything for Ripple Dot Zero are just gorgeous.

Not to mention that the music is outstandingly glorious and beautiful, honestly. There's an extremely retro, yet adventurous and big and lovely sound to the soundtrack of this game.

I keep playing it. It's amazing. It's got to be the best "flash" game I've played in a long time. It's hardly even flash. It's just too good to be flash.

Again, the whole intro is just fantastic and if you sit there and listen to the title music for the main menu. UGH, it's so gorgeous. Right off the bat, the musical immediately gives you this feeling of adventure, futuristic vibes, and retro looks. It's such a great start.

All the spring action and spring mechanics and placement totally remind me of Sonic the Hedgehog, specifically Sonic 2.

The whole design for everything around the game screen on the official site is just great too. It gives me the feeling of being a little kid again and playing classic games on a small tv.

Oh my word, the whole thing is so beautiful.

My only complaint so far is that there is a glitch when I attack and jump at the same time and it will lock me into one move (like continually going left) and it kills me a lot. That gets really frustrating. I don't know if it's a problem with my keyboard or not, but I don't think so, because my keyboard acts entirely fine in any other circumstance.

Other than that bug, this game should just be on a game system and I should play it with a Genesis-style controller on a small tv and I think this game would be at its absolute best. :D

EDIT:

just previewed all tracks from the game on cd baby and uh

IT'S BEAUTIFUL.

Edited by Garrett Williamson

I actually ended up buying the soundtrack, heh.

Haven't seen the glitch you're getting. Only thing I don't like about the game is that it's flash. The frame rate feels like less than 20 or so and there's no gamepad support, which I'm sure there would have been otherwise..

you sure you just don't have a slow internet?

it's running at what looks like at least 30 fps on my computer.

Check out the unused music
Whoa, where'd you find this?
Works well with an ordinary USB controller without analog stick + joy2key software.

Arrow said it didn't in the first post, so I never bothered to check. Regardless, I don't have one without analog sticks, and had this been non-flash, again, I'm sure that wouldn't have been a problem.

you sure you just don't have a slow internet?

it's running at what looks like at least 30 fps on my computer.

I really don't think this is an issue with connection speed. Try pulling the cable while playing and you'll see what I mean.

Edited by Dafydd

just beat it.

UGH IT'S TOO SHORT.

really quite an outstanding game. I'd love to see a larger version of this on game consoles.

the thing I really enjoyed about it is that I felt achieved when beating a level or beating the bosses. it wasn't exactly a hard game, but it had enough of a challenge for me to feel really good about beating each level, and each level wanted me to pick the next one even more.

beyond that, the colors are just absolutely beautiful. the environment is gorgeous. I feel like I'm there with this penguin dude and I feel l'm in the adventure.

and then, like I've said multiple times, the music is just outright freaking amazing. period.