OCR02694 - Final Fantasy VI "Tastes Like Victory"

Really impressive use of the source material, it's clearly recognizable but I don't remember it been used this way, slowed down and forming a solid basis for an electro-pop song. I especially love the airy vocals! On the downside, I don't find the male vocals quite up to par, and the bass drum is pumping the rest of the mix uncomfortably. I don't think the piece is dragged down by these points though, and the unexpected but natural arrangement is something to raise your hat to.

edit: I'll add that on the second Leitbur track of the album, the male vocals are spot-on, although the bass drum is again quite uncomfortable. I'm pretty happy to hear another track immediately!

--Eino

Edited by evktalo

I've loved Leitbur's music ever since I found On the Far Side of the World, and Work This Out, and this doesn't disappoint in the slightest. Really creative take on the Victory fanfare, and I think the minimalistic lyrics really worked well for it. I think I'm going to have to start playing this song every time I finish a project at work, or get done writing a chapter on a story.

I'll admit, it took a few listens to get this track to grow on me. I'm still not fully a fan of the male vocals for this one, sounds almost too lethargic for an arrangement of the victory fanfare, but it's kind of a trend for OCR FF album tracks to have titles/arrangements that take the original and do the inverse of it ("Hey Cid!" becoming "Goodbye Cid" and "Into the Darkness" becoming "Step Into the Light" from the FFIV album come to mind). However, the track is still continuing to grow on me and I never outright disliked it, it's probably one of those cases where you can chalk it up to a clashing of personal taste. Good job all the same!

Being an shoegaze/dream-pop fan in my earlier years this track was an instant win for me :) I love the beginning shift from our usual fanfare stuff into electrodreamscape:D Nice vocal work, and overall nods to The Jesus And Mary Chain, My Bloody Valentine or Ride just made my day complete:D If anyone wonders how victory does taste-just like honey! ;)

These are my kind of feels. I grew up in the exact era the Leitbur sound hollers back to, and I say the male side is nothing but correct. By design, the vocal tones are steady, almost deadpan, with none of the negative connotation that word usually carries. Pleasant reminders of The Thompson Twins, Animotion and Information Society.

There's definitely nothing stylistically wrong with the vocals for me. Somehow they just come off as not well enough performed, as if the melody was too low for the singer. Or maybe they stick out from the mix in some awkward way. Perhaps they come in a little unexpected. The more I listen to the piece less it bothers me.

I like how brief this piece is - it makes me want to listen to it several times! (:

--Eino

You know, I never would have imagined the victory theme like this, and yet it just seems like something that you naturally think of if you wanted to make it pop out a little more in an airy poppy sort of way. Cool. The vocals sounded like they fit right into the style of the ReMix and it maintains plenty of the melody that in turn, brings on the nostalgia. Sweet.

Eino: I kinda get what you're talking about, although I find it backwards. I feel like the guy is singing baritone when the poppy melody is hoping for a tenor.

Might need to dig out the old Joy Division records from storage for classic examples of pop melody + deep vocals. Ian Curtis had that nailed to a perfection, and this song reminds me a lot of those days.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02694 - Final Fantasy VI "Tastes Like Victory"