OCR02699 - Final Fantasy VI "The Impresario"

I made an account here on OCRemix, after lurking for a year or so, just so I could comment about this piece. I love it. It's one of the best songs I've ever heard, VG or not. The lead singer was amazing, the instrumentation was gorgeous, and it seemed like every second had tons of care put in to it. That, along with my favorite song from one of my favorite RPGs, and all of the little nudges toward Bohemian Rhapsody make this song worth listening to multiple times, in a row. Like i did. Amazing.

Fantastic and just scary in scale and production/composition values. I always was humbled by Jake's talent and this is yet another masterpiece. Wether you embrace the homage or not, you can not disregard how amazingly polished this "remix" is. Probably the best on the website and so much more. Props to the man, and great vocals from Tommy Pedrini as well.

I had my doubts going into this one - I really liked the way the opera was done by The Black Mages in Darkness and Starlight, and this was done so differently from that take, even though both go for the 'rock opera' style.

My doubts faded pretty quickly. The drama created by the chorus was excellent. The stark transitions between the two sides of the 'fight' gave me shivers. Then it relax with a vocal solo or musical interlude briefly, let me catch my breath just long enough before stealing it away again.

Holy mother of god what is this piece of awesome.

Seriously, this song is bloody brilliant.

From other forums:

Christ. I don't even like the opera house sequence that much and this is incredible.
This puts stuff like the Black Mages to shame, even though the one guy sounds like Weird Al.

This puts stuff like the Black Mages to shame, even though the one guy sounds like Weird Al.

Exactly what I was going to say.

The song epically channels Queen of the Freddie Mercury era, but in arrangement, not in vocal prowess. I walked into it hoping for superhuman vocals, which never coalesced. I will admit myself a bit disappointed at that (merely because of my misunderstanding of DJP's review and my high expectations for all things virt), but once I realized that the arrangement quality was sky-high and the Weird Al vocals worked, I really enjoyed myself. Easily one of the high points of the album for me, so far (I'm 2/3 of the way through).

Coming from someone who's been on this site since Terra in Black was brand spankin' new (and Music of my Groin was relevant), this is probably the best I've ever heard.

What this needs more than anything is Uematsu's reaction. Someone needs to pull whatever strings necessary to get him this album (Nightmare Oath and The Impresario in particular) - I can only imagine what he'd think about such care and heart put in to (remixing and arranging aren't even fitting words) such frankly historical music

Coming from someone who's been on this site since Terra in Black was brand spankin' new (and Music of my Groin was relevant), this is probably the best I've ever heard.

What this needs more than anything is Uematsu's reaction. Someone needs to pull whatever strings necessary to get him this album (Nightmare Oath and The Impresario in particular) - I can only imagine what he'd think about such care and heart put in to (remixing and arranging aren't even fitting words) such frankly historical music

[21:04] <Bahamut> kristi posted this earlier btw: Nobuo Uematsu on Jake's arrangement: "I was shocked! I have to buy a glass of beer for this guy!"

[21:04] <Bahamut> on fb

[21:05] <@Liontamer> yeah, Don Kotowski from SEMO shared it with Uematsu, and that was his reaction to Impresario

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02699 - Final Fantasy VI "The Impresario"