OCR01473 - *YES* Super Metroid 'Brinstar Bonsai Garden'

djpretzel

Hey mr.Judges!

Remixer Name: Red Tailed Fox

Games Remixed: Super Metroid (Brinstar 2)

Song name: Brinstar Bonsai Garden

Link:

(for the third time in my life, big thanks to Bladiator for the upload)

Comments:

Weeks ago I did a song in collaboration with Shnabubula called “Boat Soul”. I can say that in terms of instrumentation and arrangement, this ReMix is it’s younger sister, and tough this is a solo project, Shnab helped me a lot with it. It’s a laid back arrangement of “Brinstar 2” (don’t know if this is the exact name of the original). All done in Reason 3.0. Enjoy.

Cheers!

RTF!

Hey they used the source tune of this for Torvus Temple in Metroid Prime 2: Echoes.

Oh man, this is so slick. I love the flute/string harmonies and that bassline. Comping piano is excellent. Great implementation of electronic elements too.

Some of the instrumentation may come off as gratuitous, like the asian instrument around halfway through, but I didn't have a problem.

Nice concept, good execution. Cool.

YES

http://snesmusic.org/spcsets/sm.rsn - "Brinstar Red Soil Swampy Area" (sm-20.spc)

I was a big fan of "Boat Soul", so this should be pretty cool. And indeed it is. Great sounds, great arrangement, very organic-sounding and certainly mellow, chill and laid back. It just goes to show you what kind of material can be extracted and reworked from such an overtly dark soundtrack.

Wasn't liking the stuff from 1:04-1:28 much; probably a good idea in your head, but it sounded sterile. And man, what's going with the bassline from 2:08-2:34? Doesn't sound right at all. Quick reference to Chrono Trigger's "Wind Scene" from 2:34-2:43, but with some more seemingly odd notes. Could just be me there, but oh well; not a meaningful hit against it.

Regardless, good stuff most of the way through the rest of things until that wonky comping from 3:21-4:16. Some of this just sounds like you're stringing these notes together without rhyme or reason. Of course, Sam would go "OMG A#7-B6-C4, U SUNK MY BATTLESHIP, THIS IZ GR8, I <3" faster than you can say "Momentary Standstill". Well, fuck that. Vigilante initially felt it sounded aimless, and it does. If you're gonna throw that improv in there, give it more structure, direction, and melody so that it pieces together nicely the whole way through. Can't pass this in good conscience with the entire last 1/4th of the piece sounding questionable like that.

Despite that, lemme say that you've come a long way Caio from your earlier work, including your past rejections and your narrowly passed Sonic 3 mix. Most of this is very creative, well-put together and polished on the production side. Your stuff may have its rough spots with the writing, but the improvement is definitely there in spades.

NO (rework/easy resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

Gotta live up to Revolver Project's "Mother is in Control" mix when remixing this one.

I'm shocked, honestly. Wasn't expecting such an upbeat and jazzy remix of such a dark piece. I'm actually glad too, since it's a completely different and refreshing spin. It's mixed pretty well too. The sample/synth used at around 1:05 sounds a little dry compared to the rest of the mix. The little tune it played actually sounded like the building music from The Sims 2.

I think this could have used with a little more of a buildup throughout the mix. I'm not liking the fluttering kicks floating throughout some parts of the mix, it sounds odd and seems to be taking away from the general chillout sound of the beat.

I'm getting little clicking noises throughout the mix. They're most apparent from 2:33 to 2:48. Not sure what that is, but I'd personally like it cleared up.

The groove here is pretty good, but the theme gets lost after not a long time, and the mix doesn't really build beyond the first minute. I'd like to see a little more creativity with some of the instruments, and maybe hear the percussion bring in something else throughout the mix to keep things fresh.

An easy resubmit. But for now, NO

Some very cool concepts here. Great improv work, performances and sequencing is good throughout. The percussive aspects ARE on the barebones side and I would like to hear more variation there. The clicks also are unwanted, dunno where those are coming from (TO pointed them out). Finally, I think better choices could have been made in laying out the song, as it does seem to lose energy towards the second half, but overall, there were a lot of cool textural changes and compositional things that made it enjoyable to listen to. My only real problem with the arrangement is the rather abrupt ending.

I'd echo the concerns voiced by Larry that some of the sections are a little TOO low-key and sterile, and some of the notes are off, but I don't think these elements detract significantly enough to merit a NO. This ia close one, but

YES

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alright. thought this one over. This is far from perfect. There is a lot that I would do differently. the ELP is poorly sequenced, although the voicings are pretty good. the groove is solid, the instrumentation is good. But it's SOO aimless. it doesnt go anywhere. there are a million tiny ideas shat out here and there that dont go anywhere.

I was this close to giving this a YES on account of its creativity and originality, but this just isnt put together terribly well. needs more direction. i dont feel right deciding this one, and i'm leaning NO, so here it is.

NO

This one was tough, because I completely agree with what vig just said. Too meandering at times, and at times just sloppy. But the voicings, the voicings!!! (Paraphrase)

I thought the cello portamento sections were a little ridiculous. Overused bends, but I will say you executed that part very well.

What puts me over the edge here is the creativity, the style, and all the nice subtleties. Good brush kit and hand percussion sequencing and the instrumentation is generally spot on. Some of the synth sections are a little bland for my taste, but they work.

I honestly could viably go either way on this mix, as this has enough issues that Vig mentioned to make me hesitant. But the creativity and overall thoughtfulness, coupled with the mix having some really great moments forces me to go the borderline YES route and not request a resub.