Dungeonmans, a PC dungeon crawler / roguelike. Now available on Steam Early Access!

zircon

DUNGEONMANS: Now on Steam Early Access!

Crush monsters and get loot in a persistent world full of gorgeous 2D sprite work with a sweeping throwback soundtrack.

Dungeonmans on Steam!

637x358.resizedimage

Dungeonmans is an old-school roguelike with deep gameplay, a lighthearted tone, thrilling combat, lots of character customization, and of course, endless replayability and great challenge. The gameplay flow will be instantly recognizable to fans of classics like Nethack, Crawl, or Castle of the Winds, as well as newer entries in the genre like Dungeons of Dredmor or even the Diablo series. The player crafts the character of their liking from scratch, and develops their own playing style by leveling up, learning new masteries and skills, finding equipment, and (most likely) dying a lot.

637x358.resizedimage

The developer is Jim Shepard (Adventurepro Games), a former programmer for numerous AAA projects including Star Wars: The Old Republic. He's been working on Dungeonmans for years and documenting the process thoroughly on the game's website. I met Jim late last year on the internets and was given the opportunity to create the game's music & SFX, which has been an absolute blast. We opted for a very 16bit style reminiscent of classic PC RPGs or PS1 games like Final Fantasy Tactics and Suikoden II, so I'm seriously channeling Hitoshi Sakimoto among others!

637x358.resizedimage

After a successful Kickstarter campaign, Dungeonmans has been growing rapidly. The latest version of the game includes more music (by yours truly), a brand-new UI, tons of overhauled graphics, new classes, items, skills, and much more. And this is still the ALPHA!

As a huge fan of roguelikes and dungeon crawlers myself, Dungeonmans is a dream come true. From the lovely 2D sprite work to the lighthearted tone and modern gameplay additions like an extensive skill list and slick animations, it's just a lot of fun.

Get the game on Steam now!

http://steamcommunity.com/app/288120/

637x358.resizedimage

Edited by zircon

Thanks Andrew!

I'm honored to have his support on the game, and doubly so to see it here on the OCR forums. I'd hope that any of you here who dig crushing monsters and taking their stuff will give the game a try. It's been a labor of love for me for years now, but it wasn't until the awesome post-launch SWTOR layoffs that I decided to go indie full time and see if I could make Dungeonmans into something polished and fun.

The Kickstarter could use your help, so if you like the game and want to support it even if you can't afford to back it right now, please help get the word out! Thank you!

Nethack? Check.

Crawl? Check.

CotW? Check.

Diablo? Check.

Dungeons of Dredmore? Check.

Those first four games alone comprised like half my damn childhood. If you're an RPG fan but sick of the simplicity and lack of difficulty in JRPGs and even most western RPGs, YOU WILL WANT TO BUY THIS GAME. Oh, and whoever the OP is wrote the music for it, so that's kinda cool ;o

I'm so stoked for this game to come out :D :D :D

PS: Check out Rogue Legacy if you haven't already. I've only seen gameplay footage myself, but it's a platformer-roguelike hybrid -- my two favorite genres. Too awesome.

Edited by ectogemia

Gonna be doing another livestream and probably some kind of public music update next week. In the meantime, we're a little over the halfway point in funding and a little under in days remaining:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/56637190/dungeonmans-the-heroic-adventure-roguelike

It's gonna be a close one. If you like the concept, please support it even if you don't back by sharing, liking, tweeting, etc!

• 2 weeks later...

We're ALMOST THERE! This game is hella fun even right now in pre-alpha state, so just imagine how awesome the full game will be :D

If you can't back the project, tell your friends, get the word out!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/56637190/dungeonmans-the-heroic-adventure-roguelike

p.s. You can listen to and downloda 5 tracks I wrote for the game RIGHT HERE:

http://impactsoundworks.com/zircon_Dungeonmans_OST_Preview.zip

• 4 months later...
Nethack? Check.

Crawl? Check.

CotW? Check.

Diablo? Check.

Dungeons of Dredmore? Check.

Those first four games alone comprised like half my damn childhood. If you're an RPG fan but sick of the simplicity and lack of difficulty in JRPGs and even most western RPGs, YOU WILL WANT TO BUY THIS GAME. Oh, and whoever the OP is wrote the music for it, so that's kinda cool ;o

I'm so stoked for this game to come out :D :D :D

PS: Check out Rogue Legacy if you haven't already. I've only seen gameplay footage myself, but it's a platformer-roguelike hybrid -- my two favorite genres. Too awesome.

This game looks awesome. I'm gonna check dungeonmans later for sure.

As for Rogue legacy.... I RECOMMEND! The game is so cool. And Playing with my friend was even funnier because you can laugh at how ridiculous you get to die.

Thanks for the kind words guys! Jim is local to me and I've been over at his place every two weeks for D&D. The game currently looks AMAZING. If you donated to the Kickstarter you've seen the new art previews. Basically the sprites look extremely awesome now in terms of detail, depth and perspective, and it just 'feels' way better overall. On top of that the new UI is great. Mouse control, far improved equipment/inventory system, Diablo style skill trees with icons... it's just great.

• 1 month later...

Well now, lookie here! Dungeonmans is now in CLOSED ALPHA and looking better than ever!

637x358.resizedimage

We're trying to get the game on to Steam now via Greenlight, and every vote counts. If you have 5 seconds, check out the Greenlight page and give it a vote, would you?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=114781779

$40+ Kickstarter backers now have alpha access, but if you didn't back it, don't fret: you can still get in on the action by donating via PayPal!

http://www.dungeonmans.com/?page_id=362

Edited by zircon

• 3 months later...

Dungeonmans is now ON STEAM (Early Access)! You can pick it up now for $12 (20% off list price for the next week). This build of the game is chock full of content, from new classes and skills, to new feats and items, new ways to build up your academy, more dungeon types, more bosses, better sprites, more music.. the list goes on.

Check it out below. If you love roguelikes and dungeon crawlers, I guarantee you'll love this!

Dungeonmans is now ON STEAM (Early Access)! You can pick it up now for $12 (20% off list price for the next week). This build of the game is chock full of content, from new classes and skills, to new feats and items, new ways to build up your academy, more dungeon types, more bosses, better sprites, more music.. the list goes on.

Check it out below. If you love roguelikes and dungeon crawlers, I guarantee you'll love this!

Is there going to be any soundtrack? I particularly liked that final level theme.

Oh yes. The OST is currently 47 minutes long (no loops!) and will likely be a full hour or more, ultimately. We will be launching a soundtrack version on Steam soon for ~$4-5 more than the game by itself, which will include the soundtrack thus far AND the final soundtrack when it's done. I'll also have the soundtrack available standalone via OC Records in a few months.