ATH-M30 -- good (enough) headphones?

I am currently using the ATH-M30 headphones and don't really have anything else to compare it to. I'm new to mixing/production. I know that by getting better headphones it would help me (like the ATH-M50s for example) but I was wondering if anyone had any direct experience with these? In your opinion, are they good enough to make decent mixes?

ATH-M30

This is totally not answering your question, but if the reason you consider M30 and not M50 is $$$ price, then you should look into the AKG K240 headphones.

I just ordered them on Amazon yesterday for $70, and they're a super popular pair of mixing headphones.

That's what I own, also got mine from Amazon, UK though. I haven't tried many headphones so I don't know how they stack up. They are good for hearing what's going on except for the lower bass department.

They are good for hearing what's going on except for the lower bass department.

That's what the M50s excel at, dunno about the M30s, but of course the premium you pay for that luxury is pretty huge. And you have to consider the bass is not at all representative of how it sounds on speakers, on any headphone.

But if you mix with a lot of bass and you want to hear it represented, the M50s seem pretty surefire. It is very colored sound on the M-series though, like it automatically smooths out the harsh 5k-ish frequencies. I've switched to earbuds a dozen times and bled my ears out from boosting that range too much. It's good though, and the M30s have to at least be decent.. you'd think so anyway, coming from the same kin.

Thanks for the feedback, humans, it is highly appreciated 8-)

This is totally not answering your question, but if the reason you consider M30 and not M50 is $$$ price, then you should look into the AKG K240 headphones.

I just ordered them on Amazon yesterday for $70, and they're a super popular pair of mixing headphones.

Actually, in a weird way this kind of very much answered my question. Or, I asked the wrong question. I'll check these out and will most likely buy them impulsively and it will be awesome. Thanks :mrgreen: