So i got a ps3...what do i do with it?

prophetik music

rather than figure out what next-gen console i want, i decided to trade my xbox slim (my backup machine that i got for cheap ages ago) and some games to a dude for a ps3 slim. so now, i'm on both sides of the fence. problem is, i don't know what to play, since i've been an xbox gamer for so long.

i had a ps3 several years ago, but sold it because it was a CECHE backwards-compatible model, and those slotloaders are wonky and die easily. i figured i should cash in earlier rather than later to save me the hassle. so i've played games like resistance 1 and 2, killzone 2 (didn't like it), LBP (wasn't into it), and uncharted 1 and 2 (loved them).

games i want to get (exclusives only, multi platform i play on pc or xbox):

ico/shadow double pack

uncharted 3

resistance 3 (not my favorite shooter, but it's fun and i like the guns)

the last of us (of course)

journey

what else should i try? what are the big exclusives that are totally worth it that i might miss because they're old? metacritic is not the easiest to sort through exclusives through.

When I got a PS3, I was thinking the same thing. But upon building up the library I had, the games I went for were mostly sequels to already established franchises (Ratchet & Clank Future trilogy, Sly 4, Katamari Forever depending on whether you like the franchise and/or have played Beautiful Katamari at least) with the occasional 'novel' experience thrown in (PS All-Stars so far). Some of the HD remakes are also worth getting if you want a nostalgic throwback or haven't had the chance to play them in the past for whatever reason.

By that logic, looking for whatever games to fuel that craving niche would be pretty simple if you've had a PS1/PS2 in the past. But I still however stand that the R&C:F trilogy (esp. A Crack in Time) is worth getting beyond filling that niche :P

I actually opened up a list of PS3 exclusives to see what they actually were...I have no good sense of that sort of thing.

- Heavy Rain. Yes. People hate, but I thought this game was awesome. Definitely an experience.

- Demon Souls. People love this game, but I don't know why. I got kind of bored at the lack of a plot. I hear it's really hard though.

and I'll definitely throw in a nod to MGS 4.

In addition to the previous suggestions, I'll throw in the PixelJunk series (especially Shooters), Flower, Fat Princess, Mushroom Wars, Scott Pilgrim, and maybe Metal Gear Revengence. I'm not sure which, if any of those are multiplatform though.

In addition to the previous suggestions, I'll throw in the PixelJunk series (especially Shooters), Flower, Fat Princess, Mushroom Wars, Scott Pilgrim, and maybe Metal Gear Revengence. I'm not sure which, if any of those are multiplatform though.

MGR is epic as hell, but is multi-platform in The USA and Europe. I believe it's only PS exclusive in Japan.

i said it before but i'll reiterate - i've played most of the multi-platform games on xbox, and i still own an xbox. i play my multiplatform games on there or on my PC. so i'm looking for exclusives only.

i jumped on the pixeljunk series already, since i've played the ones on PSP a bit.

Limbo. Short game (five hours), but excellent.

multiplatform, but really cool!

When I got a PS3, I was thinking the same thing. But upon building up the library I had, the games I went for were mostly sequels to already established franchises (Ratchet & Clank Future trilogy, Sly 4, Katamari Forever depending on whether you like the franchise and/or have played Beautiful Katamari at least) with the occasional 'novel' experience thrown in (PS All-Stars so far). Some of the HD remakes are also worth getting if you want a nostalgic throwback or haven't had the chance to play them in the past for whatever reason.

By that logic, looking for whatever games to fuel that craving niche would be pretty simple if you've had a PS1/PS2 in the past. But I still however stand that the R&C:F trilogy (esp. A Crack in Time) is worth getting beyond filling that niche :P

so, i don't know anything about the ratchet and clank games. they're platformers, aren't they? i've never been great at those. i admit i haven't done much research into them, but they seem to have done well at the critic's level.

Sly Cooper, Twisted Metal, Metal Gear Solid 4. But most of all...

Ratchet & Freakin' Clank

EDIT: Also, Kingdom Hearts HD comes out in Sept. so check that if you never played Kingdom Hearts in the PS2 era

played a bit of MGS4, but i hate stealth games because i don't have the patience for them. KH HD looks interesting, though, since i never played those games on PS2 even though i own them :<

The Infamous series is pretty good.

looking at both games now. is the first one worth playing, or should i just go for the second?

go to a three-story house and drop it from the highest story

so you troll me when i was interested in an xbone, and now you troll me when i get a ps3? someone ban this hack already, it's like talking to myself :<

What do you like to play? If you want a sort of strange RPG experience you might try Eternal Sonata (loosely based on the life and death of Chopin).

I can't think of too many PS3 exclusives that I really enjoyed...

multiplatform. i've even got the xbox faceplate for the game :puppyeyes:

EYES

All the God of Wars. All.

so, i usually don't get into action games like this, but my buddy swears by them. is it worth just playing the third game, or should i play the others?

so, i don't know anything about the ratchet and clank games. they're platformers, aren't they? i've never been great at those. i admit i haven't done much research into them, but they seem to have done well at the critic's level.

The best way to describe them is "platforming with guns" - and the wacky arsenal is indeed one of the major highlights of each game. The series' sequels generally have a more forgiving difficulty due to the ability to 'level up' your guns from using them a lot, with A Crack in Time in particular having 3 different difficulty levels to choose from right from the word go, so if platforming is a problem for you then that's a start to help settle in.

The best way to describe them is "platforming with guns" - and the wacky arsenal is indeed one of the major highlights of each game. The series' sequels generally have a more forgiving difficulty due to the ability to 'level up' your guns from using them a lot, with A Crack in Time in particular having 3 different difficulty levels to choose from right from the word go, so if platforming is a problem for you then that's a start to help settle in.

that...actually sounds pretty cool. do i need to start at the beginning of the trilogy, or is it like mass effect where it's totally justifiable starting halfway through?

was already mentioned but seriously Scott Pilgrim Vs. the Game was one of the best games I've played on Ps3. 4-player brawling at its best (granted you have friends)

also dat anamanaguchi soundtrack

only one controller, and they're too pricey to be getting more =( so maybe that's out for me.

Kingdom Hearts -HD 1.5 ReMIX- when it comes out in September :D

so, is there only one KH coming out? or is this it? is it the older games, or a new one?

I second:

Heavy Rain

The Last of Us

Uncharted 1, 2, 3

InFamous series (if you're into that) It's similar to Prototype

Beyond: Two Souls

Final Fantasy XIII series (it might be on 360 but this version is superior)

God of War series

Definitely get PS+. You'll be downloading games for free, and playing them, and loving them. Games you wouldn't have even tried before.

I got Scott Pilgrim vs. The World for $2 with PS+ discount, a lot harder than I was expecting but really awesome looking game.

I can share more recommendations when they pop into my head maybe.

so, is there only one KH coming out? or is this it? is it the older games, or a new one?

It's Kingdom Hearts 1 Final Mix and Re:Chain of Memories remastered in HD, along with 358/2 Days being remastered as an HD movie of sorts (2 hours 50 minutes of video, about 70% of the original game's cutscenes).

There's also inevitably going to be a 2.5 (Nomura's basically confirmed it without confirming it) which likely will include 2 Final Mix, BBS Final Mix, and coded in cutscene form (probably).

that...actually sounds pretty cool. do i need to start at the beginning of the trilogy, or is it like mass effect where it's totally justifiable starting halfway through?

For the Future trilogy, there's a recap FMV at the start of both Quest for Booty and A Crack in Time. Any knowledge on the original PS2 trilogy would be minimal at best, and if there are references to them, they don't go so far in-depth as to make you wonder what the hell is going on.

The HD remasters of the PS2 trilogy isn't as serialised as Future is, so it's also fine to just jump in there whenever you please xD

no suggestions for Ni No Kuni yet? also, the jak and daxter HD collection. one is a straight platformer, but two and three are almost a "what if grand theft auto was a platformer?" vibe, introducing vehicles and guns. also the massive catalog of PS1 rpgs deserves a mention.

Oh yeah, Ni No Kuni for sure :-D

Also anything similar to "Tales of ________" is probably good to play on PS3.