Steam's Summer Getaway Sale

Brandon Strader

Steam's summer sale started a little after 1pm EST today.

I want Rogue Legacy, so I'm waiting for a decent sale on that.

Share your recommendations of sale items for people who may not know about them. I'll start.

header.jpg

This game is 40% off, and it is pretty awesome. It's an environment survival game with a beautiful art style, pig men, manure, crafting tools, researching prototypes and basically trying not to starve. You'll collect resources from a lot of bushes, trees, rocks, etc and try to survive as long as you can.

capsule_231x87.jpg

Counter-Strike! I was skeptical this would be as good as the previous Counter-Strike games (specifically the original CS) but it's pretty good. The community is pretty terrible, but hey, give a gamer a microphone and an opportunity and you're gonna be searching for that mute button. Luckily, it's easy enough to mute people, and the game itself is a ton of fun. The cool people who are hilarious make up for any bad people who come across the mic.

header.jpg

Game of the Year, but you can get it for $24 on www.greenmangaming.com Save your money and buy from GMG!

header.jpg

I'll just say it's very quirky, and worth the $2.50

Aight.

I have 2 extra Football Managers and 2 Dead Island Riptides for trade for the cards remaining in the steam getaway set. Help me out.

I have Dead Island Riptide, Bioshock Infinite, Football Manager, Prison Architect, Reus, and Tomb Raider. If you have one not listed (Skyrim, Torchlight, Kerbal Space Program, or Chivalry) and need Dead Island or a Football Manager, send me a trade request on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Brushfire

header_292x136.jpg?t=1373590670

Bastion is one of the flash sale games for the next eight hours. It's an amazing action game (with some RPG elements). The amount of polish is incredible. I literally can't say enough about how great this game is (but I'll mention the soundtrack in particular, this being a video game music site and all). If you haven't already, buy it buy it buy it.

Edit -- accursed ninjas!

Aight.

I have 2 extra Football Managers and 2 Dead Island Riptides for trade for the cards remaining in the steam getaway set. Help me out.

I have Dead Island Riptide, Bioshock Infinite, Football Manager, Prison Architect, Reus, and Tomb Raider. If you have one not listed (Skyrim, Torchlight, Kerbal Space Program, or Chivalry) and need Dead Island or a Football Manager, send me a trade request on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Brushfire

Got a Kerbal card for you, if you still need it.

So how does this year's Steam mechanic work? Like for badges and stuff, it's all about trading cards...and god forbid I think it's just about giving them more money for a better badge.

Previous events normally just required like one purchase of any value and maybe a gift to tick boxes.

So how does this year's Steam mechanic work? Like for badges and stuff, it's all about trading cards...and god forbid I think it's just about giving them more money for a better badge.

Previous events normally just required like one purchase of any value and maybe a gift to tick boxes.

You get a card for each item on the list you buy... so yeah it's a bit poor but to be honest the card system, quirky as it is isn't great. I'd rather get "XP" for playtime accumulated than buying games.

You get a card every time you a) vote on three community choice games, B) craft a game badge (I think? They said something about that happening before the sale started, not sure if it still works), or c) spend $10 in the Steam store. I think there will be enough community choice votes to get all the cards (or at least enough cards to trade duplicates you have one-to-one for cards you don't have) without having to do anything else, given that the sale is 11 days long and there are more than three votes a day.