OCR00391 - Secret of Mana "Ice Crystal Fields Forever"

Saunders

Secret of Mana 'Ice Crystal Fields Forever'

Wow! I love the crunchy snow sound at the beginning. As much as snow pisses me off, it’s still pretty cool. This mix reminds me of winter here actually. It’s quiet and peaceful, and the long drawn out strings along with the tinkling chimes(?) give it a cool feeling. The wolf howl at ~2:40 was definitely a nice effect, perfect.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I really didn't like this tune at first. Then it started to grow on me... now I can't see it out of my collection; it demands that you enter a certain place & mood. At first I thought I knew what you were going for and that you missed your mark entirely: a nice ambient techno of sorts that, for me, has too 'saw'-y a lead to have the original tender sensitivity. Then I gave it a chance, and it became something a little more, the drum effects are inescapably not dancy, and that's precisely the point of them... they are like a marker, a direction for the flow, a bank to your river, and they are used more effectively than I originally gave them credit for.

While not perfect, and still a little loud and 'saw'y for my tastes (considering the gentleness of the original), it is a very solid piece. It's different, I like that. It's like a hug from someone that smells just a little more pungently than you'd prefer. I'd like to see more like it.

8.5/10

• 6 months later...

This was the FIRST EVER piece I downloaded from this site, when I was pointed to it by the host of SNES RADIO, who now won't let me listen to his radio, don't know why, and after I loved it so much the jerk... sniff sniff...

ANYWAYS, this piece is haunting. It draws you in with the sound of snow crunching, then leads slowly into a halting version of the Ice Forest. Great piece, even if it's use is pretty much limited to ambience. I would love to hear a piano version of this song from Zeratul. An instant classic that made me go and play the game again.

Zipp

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I think this was one of the first remixes I picked up here, and it's still a good listen, especially when I'm writing fatty papers and studying for finals. I love the source tune and this mix a great tribute to it. Reminds me of all the leveling up I did against those bloody wolves in that Ice Forest. That and saving Santa. A+

• 4 weeks later...

Now this is an environment I'm familiar of! Wet snow that gets pressed down, icicles hanging from cliffs and rooftops, wolves howling beyond the woods......well, maybe not the last one, but I'm at least very familiar with snow. Very smooth remix, when the temperature drops way down below zero, every kind of movement mostly stops and it's all quiet, like time itself could freeze. The mellow synths and beats in this remix makes the image in my mind become more visible, but this remix also helps me relax. This was a very cool arrangement, literally speaking. Thanks Zeratul.

That and saving Santa. A+

OH!SPOILERZ!!LOLOLOL :roll: LOLHASPOILER_WARNING!!HO!!?jKGC :lol::roll:

• 1 year later...

Very evocative imagery in this mix; I love the sounds used and the processional feel. It really has a great feeling of deliberate motion that is hard to capture in this style, since there is very little percussion until the halfway point, and even then, it's not especially central to the mix.

What really drives it is the chord progression and the slow and steady build of both pads and percussion. This mix is less about a destination and more about the journey, and both the in-game images of levelling up on wolves and expansive RL snowfields easily come to mind.

This isn't a mix that would normally jump out at me, but when closely examined, the quality is apparent. Don't let your groove bias turn you away from this one.

Recommended.

• 4 months later...

Ahh~ This brings about the great fantasy feeling of Winter. It has everything from the snow to the icecicles, from the wolves to nice theme that goes along with it. The piece leaves you in your own dreamworld of Christmas or Halloween with smooth emotion and imaginative scenes.

Listen to it. Now. Download it. Or else.

• 1 year later...

I put this one on repeat for a few times... It's a really great ambient track (snow fields and the like tend to lend themselves to that sort of a theme, come to think of it). Some desolation, some calmness and serenity, is sort of what this mix sounds like it's going after. Really great.

I can't think of any complaints for it. I mean, it sounds a bit "empty", but given the sense it's supposed to evoke, that should be intentional. KF

• 1 month later...

This is creepy o.O;

The sound effects of someone out of breath walking through the snow like it was being recorded through a camcorder and the howl at 0:11 really set a tone of paranoia, bleak loneliness, and soul-freezing emptiness. When I listen to this, I actually feel physically cold.

This is a very well-done mix, but it just isn't my cup of tea.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This is one of the best captures of environment I've heard in a remix for quite a while. I definately get the imagery of expanse all around, rugged terrain and an ocean of snow blanketing everything. There's an overall feeling of brilliance and a gradual melt. It's pretty vivid and expertly done.

The synths sound right out of an 80s sci-fi thriller movie, but I think they are strangely relevant to the theme. The mix is fine on its own production merits, but I think the ambient, immersive details are where all the notoriety belongs.

You really can feel yourself amidst the elements of this mix. For that, I'm hugely impressed. Its meditative electronica at its core, but there is so much more to it than just that. I'm a big fan of mixes like this.

• 1 year later...

I'm a sucker for broad, ambient soundscapes, and this mix has some really neat sounds and thick harmonics. The sweeping pads and the sound effects are very effective.

2:40 has got to be one of my favorite parts. Here the melodies and harmonies start to meld together to make ready for the wonderful outro at 3:06

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00391 - Secret of Mana "Ice Crystal Fields Forever"
  • 7 years later...