Final Fantasy Tactics v1.3

Antonio Pizza

godam you guys are a bunch of curmudgeons

how dare someone try to rebalance a game for a challenge

I agree. Nobody needs to try to convince others that this is a bad idea.

I am playing tactics right this moment. This is the BEST game to name your characters after people you know in real life. I always eject all the characters they give you at the beginning (after taking their equipment, of course) and spend all my money on four new soldiers. My wife wanted freaking Hamedo AND Fly! It took forever but now she is a knight who can cast white magic, fly, and cancel people's attacks by attacking the, first. Not bad, eh? I actually would like to go on and on about all my characters because FF Tactics is my all time favorite game to talk about "builds" with.

I agree. Nobody needs to try to convince others that this is a bad idea.

I am playing tactics right this moment. This is the BEST game to name your characters after people you know in real life. I always eject all the characters they give you at the beginning (after taking their equipment, of course) and spend all my money on four new soldiers.

I myself always made/ make a point to do the same when starting up a game of FFT. Fire sale the recruits and spend thousands to have your friends by your side as you strafe through battle fields. No brainer. It's funny to go back and look at your save files and see who your friends were at the time. My FFT memory cards are like little friendship time capsules.

It's funny to go back and look at your save files and see who your friends were at the time. My FFT memory cards are like little friendship time capsules.

My PSP mem card and my iPad save look completely the same... I still have the same friends... wow. How'd I manage that?

I still have the same friends... wow. How'd I manage that?

Same deal for me. Don't know about you but in my case I attribute it to my ravishing good looks and sparkling dinner conversation.. No joke there... Though it's not a good sign that I've spent more time with my video game caricatures of friends in FFT than with the actual friends themselves. (God, I'm so alone boo hoo hoo haha)

am i weird if i say that i didn't find FFT to be that difficult (except for that one solo battle with the dude who murders you every time unless you're wearing a special coat)?

Riovanes? Wiegraf. Chameleon suit. Absorb lightning?

chameleon suit, yeah. i always forgot to use it and had to reload a prior save.

no, that just says that you are capable of learning how to play a game

that's what i thought. you can say the game is unbalanced or broken as much as you want, but picking smart comps and doing a few spare battles here and there to keep your levels up is all that's really necessary.

I just wonder why, if someone would go to the trouble to hack into a game, they wouldn't bother first to FIX some of the problems that made it unbalanced in the first place - like how a 100% accuracy still misses 40% of the time (and vice versa with enemies) or maybe that enemies don't immediately fucking prey on characters that you JUST WENT TO THE TROUBLE TO RESURRECT.

Or if not that, put some stronger weapons earlier or something. :P

For those who do not like the idea of this patch they can, and this might be a novel concept, not play it. I don't understand sitting back going tsk tsk at those who DO enjoy it.

Anyhoo, FFT was kinda tough the first time for me. Especially dat Wiegrief battle. But then the difficulty evaporated completely after Cid joined the party. x.x When I play the game now I use Agrias instead of him since I feel she's a more balanced and less cheap version of him. For the most part I don't struggle with the game except for certain parts. Like... that battle just before you free Reis of her curse, it's easy enough to just fight it out, but if you want the hidden items on the pillars... oy vey. Or dat Wiegrief battle. Depending on my Ramza build, that fight where he's separated from the party and has to fight Gafgarion is either really really easy, or makes me rip my hair out.

As far as strategy games go though I've always found Tactics Ogre FAR more punishing.

I don't think its so much a personal judgment of superiority of one gamer or another, the experience and joy of gaming is as individualistic as anything on Earth.

No one can claim superiority to that (hell, I'm in no room to wag my finger, I built my religion on the fact that God is literally inside my SNES and acts through it - a story I have no intention of elaborating on), the criticism is instead based on the same idea that Hitler beating on a man's testicles with a sledgehammer until they turn to jelly while his nipples are hooked up via powerline to a nuclear core as he asphyxiates in a vinyl bag is somehow an arousing scenario to a select percentage of the human race, much to the bewilderment of the rest of it.

It's like, yeah, whatever floats your boat, but don't think others won't be curious to the logic behind it. :)

It's actually easier to try it and dislike vs. paragraphing all the reasons to assume it won't be liked without trying.

Or you can go with what Bleck said, and call it a day. It's a respectable stance.

...but that's just me.

In any case I'm restarting from scratch. My default players the first go around were kind of lame and I've got a feel for how Mandalia Plains goes now (you're in the clear if you get a battle with one theif, one goblin, and no tonberry). Trial and error also teaches which techniques to invest my JP in. Good thing potion and Phoenix Down are free to learn!

For those who do not like the idea of this patch they can, and this might be a novel concept, not play it. I don't understand sitting back going tsk tsk at those who DO enjoy it.

Anyhoo, FFT was kinda tough the first time for me. Especially dat Wiegrief battle. But then the difficulty evaporated completely after Cid joined the party. x.x When I play the game now I use Agrias instead of him since I feel she's a more balanced and less cheap version of him. For the most part I don't struggle with the game except for certain parts. Like... that battle just before you free Reis of her curse, it's easy enough to just fight it out, but if you want the hidden items on the pillars... oy vey. Or dat Wiegrief battle. Depending on my Ramza build, that fight where he's separated from the party and has to fight Gafgarion is either really really easy, or makes me rip my hair out.

As far as strategy games go though I've always found Tactics Ogre FAR more punishing.

see, i thought tactics ogre was broke as shit. archers are so stupidly overpowered that you can get a few tanks with the ability to prevent passage in front and just load up with mages and archers behind. you cremate everything.

see, i thought tactics ogre was broke as shit. archers are so stupidly overpowered that you can get a few tanks with the ability to prevent passage in front and just load up with mages and archers behind. you cremate everything.

Sure, but there's nothing forcing you to play like that.

of course not. i could choose to play a more difficult route. but saying that the entire game is more difficult than another when there is such an easily game-breaking strategy doesn't make a ton of sense.

She didn't really specify which version of Tactics Ogre she was referring to, though. The PSP port isn't so bad, but the one on PS1 was pretty damn harsh.

It's actually easier to try it and dislike vs. paragraphing all the reasons to assume it won't be liked without trying.

I actually find it easier to paragraph, both for the element that you CAN reasonably assume something hyper-extreme will not be enjoyed very much (that's just common sense) and also for the fact that that kind of emulation shit always takes me 10x longer to pull off than it would for anyone else.

Ok, I'll try to stop splitting hairs for the sake of doing so now.

I'd be tempted to try this... mostly because I always enjoyed trying to play through Tactics with really difficult team builds (all-Knight team was my favorite), but also because (assuming I understood the trailer correctly) the new enemies/monsters you can get in randoms would be great fun to fight against.

Besides, it's a criminally-underplayed game as it is.

She didn't really specify which version of Tactics Ogre she was referring to, though. The PSP port isn't so bad, but the one on PS1 was pretty damn harsh.

I haven't been able to nab the PSP one yet, unfortunately, so my comments were about the PS1 version. I didn't use many archers. I used a variety of people - I think including a lot of the prefab people. My experience just so happens to be that in playing FFT for the first time vs Tactics Ogre for the first time without utilizing glitches or "broken" mechanics I found Tactics Ogre to be harder. There's nothing really nonsensical about that. Other people's mileage may vary.

I'd be tempted to try this... mostly because I always enjoyed trying to play through Tactics with really difficult team builds (all-Knight team was my favorite), but also because (assuming I understood the trailer correctly) the new enemies/monsters you can get in randoms would be great fun to fight against.

Besides, it's a criminally-underplayed game as it is.

One of my most, ah, interesting FFT experiences was playing with Ramza as a Black Mage/Calculator. Add in a dash of no regard for the lives of your teammates and you can cut through the baddies no problem.

Edited by Otakatt

One of my most, ah, interesting FFT experiences was playing with Ramza as a Black Mage/Calculator. Add in a dash of no regard for the lives of your teammates and you can cut through the baddies no problem.

Bahaha, I can imagine; I actually toyed with the idea of making that combination one time. Think the closest I ever came was the time I made him a Calc/Time backed up by four Fly-capable Dancers spamming Wiznabius. That was always good for a laugh.

Bahaha, I can imagine; I actually toyed with the idea of making that combination one time. Think the closest I ever came was the time I made him a Calc/Time backed up by four Fly-capable Dancers spamming Wiznabius. That was always good for a laugh.

That sounds like an *amazing* team.

I've always, for whatever reason, been fond of the Dancer and without fail I have at least one girl with the dance ability~ I just wish Bards were actually useful. :s