King of Heck Game Project; Recruiting Musicians!

Hello there, users of Overclocked Remix Forums; I have been spending the last few months looking for a musician for a video game project I have been working on for the last 4-5 years, and during the course of my research, a few people have referred to me this in order to create an original sound track for the project I have been working on. I don't think it would hurt for me to try asking around here, however!

What The Project is About!

Here's a brief Explanation of the Project Itself;

Kings of Heck is a Sprite based Beat Em Up Arena based brawler in which the players have to survive wave after wave of enemies in a Wrestling Ring Based Environment, where players has to beat and grapple their way through hordes of enemies until they finally face against the big boss of the stage. The game has a large array of playable characters (10 planned out for the final product), with also a large array of bosses and enemies.

This project originally started out as a mod for the Program OpenBor around 3 years back which originally started , but since then, we have recruited a programmer, and now aim to create an original product which we would be able to release as our own thing. We have almost everything we need to make a project, other then a musician to create music for the project.

What We are Looking For!

In regards to the music type that I am looking for this project, I am looking for a veeery specific genre which may be quite difficult to replicate; not many games use this time of music, with only one game using it extensively, under the name "Splatter Master". However, they don't have the OST of that game anywhere on the net that I can used to show, so here are a few examples I can post from other game OSTs for an example;

Essentially, music with the primary instruments consisting of Electric Guitars, Saxophones and a Organ Piano/Keyboard. For those interested, I do have the OST of Splatter Master as a RAR which I can share with anyone interested, which should prove to be a lot more helpful insight for what I expect from this Project.

I don't have any footage of the current build of the game, but I do have an trailer for the original Mod that we created for openbor around 3 years back, which should give you guys a small idea of what to expect from this project!

Just remember that this footage, whilst showing the basic game play, is pretty out of date; Animations, palette, amongst other things, have been improved since the original trailer; the music in the trailer is also another example of the kind of music we are looking for, for this project.

Pricing!

In terms of payment for this project, considering that, with most video game music, the songs tend to loop after a 30 second mark, and considering we need around 10 songs of that caliber for this project, I've been told that a fair price for the production of these songs would be around the £200-250 mark, with each song being around £20-25. I wouldn't be able to pay that much immediately up front, since considering we have a small team for this project, it would take a month or two for us to acquire the funds to purchase these tracks; I would like to try and reserve and artist beforehand however, as musicians tend to get busy with other projects if they are not approached before hand!

If any of you guys are interested, please contact me at mysteriousoctopuss@gmail.com with an possible example of your works to give me and idea of your music skills. If you are interested, I could send you the rar of the Splatter Master OST to give you a bigger idea of the kind of music we are looking for. I would advise that before you take on this project, that you are very confident in that you are able to create the genre of music I am looking for!

I hope this thread is informative enough to garner interest; this is the first time I have asked for help like this for a project, so I hope this thread is substantial enough for garner you folks attention for this project!

You're a team a need several months to pay a simple 200 bucks, are you 13 yrs old ?

Get serious.

Actually, its more so to do with the fact that the economy has not been so good as of late due to numerous financial issues which I think you are fully aware of, in which getting a job has been increasingly difficult. I have been getting by with what I have, but times are pretty difficult for some people, and I don't have the luxury to spend £200 bucks willy nilly on luxuries that exclude food, bills, and so forth. I am hoping that with the current progress we have been making with this project, we can do that, but that's up for you to believe.

For some one who has been on this site for nearly 10 years, I would of expected a lot more of a maturer response. You're not setting a very good example for this website, nor for a lot of the talented individuals who have worked so hard to create some excellent pieces of work, which I have had the pleasure to listen to.

For some one who has been on this site for nearly 10 years, I would of expected a lot more of a maturer response. You're not setting a very good example for this website, nor for a lot of the talented individuals who have worked so hard to create some excellent pieces of work, which I have had the pleasure to listen to.

To me, such a dignified and well thought out response to a bit of unfortunate "trolling" for lack of a better phrase makes you seem serious. Therefore I'm sure summat will come around, there are some exceptional talent around here.

I understand your comment about budget and economy mate, I really do. Maybe an extra £50-100 might entice someone if it can be spared but I'm sure people will understand if not.

Me? I'm not skilled in production at all, so I can't say I'm tempted. But still, as before, good luck.

A mature response ? HERE ? 8-O

Look, I'm sorry for your situation but it's none of my business. Your business, on the other hand, is supposed to be composed of a bunch of people, since you're a team like you said. You want to "hire" artists, which implies money. Those who work for money and get paid for real, for real games, expect a lot of money, not peanuts and bread grains. So my "get serious" refered to this idea... Musicians want to eat, as you talk about "situations and work" ... you want to offer a job ? Pay. You will probably have more results/pro people. Just don't offer peanuts when you can't afford to pay. I rather do something for free than ask for a small 20$ in return.

And what's with the "example for this site" ?

First, you'd be suprised at how many "talented users" would agree.

2nd, I'm not speaking for anybody here, "dood", I'm the one talking to you.

3rd, I don't really care what you think (Nothing personal, I'm just like that) but I appreciated your constructive comments. :razz:

Finally, I'd just like to say that you probably misunderstood what someone told you about the 250$. He/She probably meant per 30 seconds looping song, not for the entire project.

Edited by Metal Man

Isn't there a "music business" thread to discuss this kind of thing?

Anyway, the fact of the matter is that indie games are typically made by hobbyists and students with hopes of one day becoming a licensed developer for console devs, getting a publishing deal and securing funding or simply coming up with a product that can generate enough profit to re-invest and make a better game the second time around.

It's kind of like musicians, hoping that one day they can land that record deal or do music for a summer blockbuster. You gotta start small.

I think people are forgetting that with technology today and the internet, it is possible to create an enjoyable video game with zero budget.

So these kind of offers are usually take it or leave it. If doing music for low or no pay is an absolute no go for you, either somehow make better connections in larger companies who have lots of dough to throw around, turn the offer down, or leave the business.

Edited by AngelCityOutlaw

Oh yes, just to get things back on topic, I have received numerable offers from musicians to work on this project so far, which is a very exciting prospect for me so far.

I should point out that to make this fair for any other possible artists that I won't be accepting any applicants until some amount of time has not passed, as allow me to evaluate the current offers as well as to give time for any other musicians to possibly get into contact with, which I think would be the most professional way to handle this.

I will keep you guys updated when any news comes up in regards to the project and musicians!

£200-250 is actually closer to $350.

Still waiting on you to get back to me from Thursday, Oct.

Aah, Sorry man, a lot of things came up in the last few days, which I will explain to you the next time I see you online!

I am sorry in advance, since I have hit with some private issues, but we will talk about it when I see you online Buddy!

Hey Everyone, Once again!

I just wanted to inform everyone now that the auditions are over, and We finally have a musician to work for us on our project; He has the exact sound we are looking for, and he is really excited to be working on this project with us!

It was a hard decision, since everyone who has applied for the role have been extremely talented, and I would like to thank you all for the time and effort in applying for the role of musician for this project. It has been an honer to meet so many talented individuals, and I would like to thank you all for all the kind words in regard of the project!

Lets hope I am able to get this project finished relatively soon so I will be able to show you all a trailer of the current project!