Classical-y Film Music WIP

Pl511

I've just got selected to possibly be composing for a Machinima Minecraft build series (through a friend who happens to be a director of a project) and I've been tasked with producing a 'demo reel' kind of thing to show off what I can do. The style for my brief has essentially been 'generic film music', and I've recently started working on said project.

Problem is, I'm going through a bit of a musical slump and am rapidly losing inspiration and ideas for this project. Luckily, I've managed to power on a bit and I've mocked up just over a minute of (mostly filler) a composition and would love to get some feedback.

stats.png

Right now it's definitely more about the general feel of the music and possibly the general overall sound quality. So as not to completely melt my computer, I haven't rendered on highest quality settings, but this is about as close as I can get without taking hours and hours for each update.

It'd also be great if people could possibly suggest some nice 'epic' orchestral chord progressions that aren't overused. I keep on coming across ones that I want to use but don't because film music is already saturated with them.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Pl511

Right now it's definitely more about the general feel of the music and possibly the general overall sound quality. So as not to completely melt my computer, I haven't rendered on highest quality settings, but this is about as close as I can get without taking hours and hours for each update.

You can google "TapeIt Silverspike" if you want something to "render" your song faster. All you have to do is turn the recording feature on, play through the section of the song you want to check, and stop the recording. It'll be a high quality WAV you can preview at full speed.

Right now, it sounds pretty good on its own, but it sounds narrow frequency-wise and spatially. The strings seem to be trapped behind the piano and the arp, and you need better stereo separation for better clarity. Reverb might also be too much.

I've been trying my hand at a lot of cinematic music lately. I could mix and master your material if you want (if you can afford it. Negotiable). More info in my sig.

Edited by timaeus222

Thanks for the advice! Still haven't got round to applying most of that stereo separation stuff yet, but I'll try and work on that for the next version. Thanks for the offer of mixing as well! The program you suggested also looks pretty sweet. I think right now I'm fine in terms of mixing by my own standards, but if I need any more professional quality help I'll know where to come. ^^

stats.png

This is version 0.4! Fairly pleased with the progression so far, and I'm going to try to get those strings near the end sounding a little sharper.