The Ear-Training Game

timaeus222

Something I thought of just now to help out newcomers, beginners, and people looking to improve. Here's the idea:

Find a song, any song. Find an interesting detail in it, and point it out. Try to identify it by a name if you can. It can be subtle or obvious. Have the next person see if they can hear that detail, and then have them pick another song. It can be the same song if it's a different detail, but try to pick a different song.

Starting it off:

at about 0:31, there is a distant ambient hit. I actually didn't notice that until two days ago, and I've had the Globulous album for a few months now.

The next person to hear this continues it.

Edited by timaeus222

I don't know what we're supposed to be listening for in that one. So uh...yes, it is Homestuck music?

One of the things I had fun doing with the FFIX soundtrack was trying to figure out what the songs were remixes of. Uematsu remixed some old songs from other Final Fantasy games to the point where the source material is barely recognizable. So here's two of them. Instead of me saying outright what it seems the source material is, you guys have to guess.

Hunter's Chance

Eiko's Theme

I know this isn't the point of the original music game, but I hear the original material for songs in FF9 when I play it.

I don't know what we're supposed to be listening for in that one. So uh...yes, it is Homestuck music?

The song has like the melody playing on the right and the harmony on the left. I only ever noticed it when one of my earbuds stopped working and I stopped hearing half of the song

Edit:

oh and hunters chance almost reminds me of the "action" theme from FFVIII, like when you first land on the shores of dollet and are storming the city

this is the one i mean although it doesnt really pick up right away

Edited by Darkomega99

Yeah, I hear "The Landing" from FF8. Except the synth in Hunter's Chance is doing that variation of A Place I'll Return To Someday that he used throughout FF9's soundtrack, and The Landing is using FF8's main theme that pops up here and there in that game's music. Mr. Uematsu is hella thematic.

How about this? It's fairly obvious but I thought it was neat.

http://www.ep-melody.com/en/

all of his megaman 9 remixes share one thing in common.

also I love the snakeman remix he has, I don't think I've heard anything quite like it before.

I think I've only played FF 1, 2, 7, and 8. I've seen a bit of 13 though as well, so I'm really not entirely familliar with all of the different soundtracks.

How about this? It's fairly obvious but I thought it was neat.

http://www.ep-melody.com/en/

all of his megaman 9 remixes share one thing in common.

also I love the snakeman remix he has, I don't think I've heard anything quite like it before.

I think I've only played FF 1, 2, 7, and 8. I've seen a bit of 13 though as well, so I'm really not entirely familliar with all of the different soundtracks.

I'm not sure what it is you're hearing. What are you referring to in those remixes?

Obviously, one requires dog like hearing to figure this out.

lol, I hear the intonation in that. I would have just said "wtf" and left it that, though, if you hadn't pointed it out.

Here's something I just now noticed. It's in the treble range, so I guess my older headphones were just that bad.

at 0:34 - 0:39 (0:29 - 0:34 in the MP3), there is a buzzy PWM bass seeping through. Edited by timaeus222

• 2 months later...