Recommendations for a gaming laptop

Final_metroid

So my HP Envy 14 (originally bought in that new-fangled "get a free xbox" sale) is getting a bit old (IE, getting pissed I couldn't run FEZ from the steam sale) and I'm starting to think about at least starting to look for something new. I'm not too sure what exactly I want...but I anticipate that since I'm starting to play games less and less that I won't need anything designed to run triple-A games to maximum efficiency.

On a semi-unrelated note, I notice that people keep espousing the virtues of building your own desktop. I'm still wondering up to what point that would be cost-effective? Or whether that's still viable given that most industry resources have shifted towards tablets and the like.

Finally, something strange: I was able to run Fez after I updated the driver for my graphics card. It ran pretty smoothly save for the fact I could hear my fan crying out in agony. Yet, when I came to open it after a restart it would just CTD...

Sorry for rambling, and thanks for any help

Well, building a PC has a lot of advantages. Buying parts individually will generally be a decent amount cheaper than buying a pre-built machine, since the companies will mark up the machine. Of course, they will come with an OS, necessary drivers, and some basic programs pre-installed which can be a plus (though HP computers often have a ton of stupid programs you don't need). Of course once you do build a PC yourself, upgrading or replacing individual parts is much easier. One drawback I can see, especially since you are currently using a laptop, is that you'd also need to buy a keyboard, monitor, and mouse (Unless you're already using one with your laptop). Monitors can be pricey, the others not so much.

If you do just want a mid-range computer, laptop prices seem to be getting more affordable as of late and I'm sure you could find one to run what you need for a good price. Its nice to be able to situate wherever you want in your home or on the go too, if that's your thing. I personally like the idea of building a PC but you'd want to look up some specifics on how to do it and which parts are necessary for you if you did go that route. Its not as difficult as it may seem, its just a matter of getting compatible parts and finding some good deals.

I don't know enough about laptops to give you a specific recommendation but I just wanted to chime in a little bit. Its up to you in the end.

I can give you several recommendations for laptops, but first I'd need to know a few things:

1. How much do you want to spend?

2. How important is portability--that is, do you mind lugging a big ol' 17" monster around, or would you prefer something thinner and lighter?

3. If portability isn't at all what you need right now, I can recommend some good pathways to either building or buying a desktop PC, too.

Hey, thanks for the replies. Given that I'm probably going to be on the move a lot, maybe a laptop would be a better move. I don't necessarily think it's too much of a burden to lug around something big, but if it can be helped (isn't too expensive) I would like something lighter. My price range is around $1000, possibly a bit over

There's a nagging voice at the back of my head that says I should at least be prepared to build a PC when I get into a more stable situation. What pathways do you know of?