OCR01460 - Mega Man 3 "crystal potion"

djpretzel

This is pretty good, funky, smooth, slightly jazzy stuff as usual from po. But it just kind of drifts into the background, you know? I don't listen to most of Posu's original stuff whenever I have something I need to do (even wasting time on the internet becomes impossible with Creamy Bean going), because I end up unable to do anything except focus on the music itself.

In a lot of ways, this is even better. The arrangement and instrumentation are excellent, and it evokes the kind of smoky bar mood that it should. The violin work is especially really impressive and brilliantly handled. The more I listen to the track, the more that stands out as nothing short of beautiful.

So... This is great, and it seems Po's improving, but I had to play it a second time to hear it. I'll blame that one on too little sleep last night, and some weird, draining dreams. :?

PS, I could have sworn Posu did an Earthbound mix, but I can find it neither on OCR nor my hard drive, VGmix is down, and I only ever get irritated by small things I think I vaguely remember like that. And in some strange kind of way through writing this and listening to the track over and over I've changed my mind as to the background drift; it's gone from a bad sign ("Old Po didn't do this...") to a good thing ("Violins!"). I just can't criticize an artist I love for being so different for....doing something different.

Oh well. Hearing new po's always a treat. No one else does this, that's for sure. :D

Also I love the way djp's reviews sometimes go on for paragraphs about something random before reaching this, "Oh, right. The mix." point. :wink:

I must say that I'm really impressed with this mix. To a certain extent, it's actually a pretty simple mix, but I don't think that it needs to be complex to work. Particularly, I like the bassline and the synth background. It adds a funk/Stevie Wonder feel to it that's really nice. This is one of those pieces that you can't help but move to. Seriously, one of my favorites. Good work!

• 2 weeks later...

This piece is just a big, sweet yum-yum! I love smooth jazz and chill music and this is just a great piece... It makes me thing of guys like Boney James when listening to this song. I'm SO happy to have this on my computer and MP3 player. A song I will listen to forever. :D

Quite honestly, I hated the G-man's theme. But this is easy on the ears, which I didn't think possible. Its smooth, mellow, and something I could listen to for hours. I like it. ^_^ And the violin part was something else. Someone should make a hack of the MM3 game and shove in these mixes. The Megaman Community will thank em.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Quite honestly, I hated the G-man's theme.

You have got to be kidding me...just one of the great songs in one of the best NES games ever.

Not much of a jazz person and some stuff is more off-tune than it has to be...once you get into the violin stuff this becomes solid.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Could a mix get any smoother?

The star here is the violin work that milks out gobs of sweet sweet melodic interpretation.

Woah, listen to me. 'Gobs of'? Who am I, djpretzel? Hope he doesn't have a tradmark on that.

Very coooool mix, and a nice change of pace from the average OCR fare.

• 7 months later...
Who's the violinist in here? Damn.

Beautiful remix. Only bone of contention I may have is the abrubt ending. Some sort of indication that the piece is about to end would have been nice... but other than that, great work.

Wow, a positive review from KogeJoe. That's when you know you've got something here.

Seriously though, I've been going through all your stuff, and man this just blew me away. It's not even fair how well you play violin, guitar, and who-knows-what-else, but ReMixes like this make me really glad you do. A keeper fo xo.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01460 - Mega Man 3 "crystal potion"